Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Dec 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #1,306 of 3,257
I typed nothing about accepting the EX1000 as reference for flat bass. And flat bass isn't necessarily the best bass to my ears. I just don't find the bass of the H3 muddy. Elevated? Yes. Muddy? No. But it's okay to agree to disagree. Just to put the H3 in the same category as Beats is a severe stretch to me, but we all hear differently. I know you once thought I wouldn't like the W4 because it was flat, and I loved that sound signature for the longest. I love the signature of the RE-400. I can deal with IEMs with flat bass, but I like IEMs with elevated bass when done well. The H3 is done quite well! And yes, I'm an admitted audiophile-basshead (my terminology). I've never been a huge fan of Sony, but the H3 has reeled me in. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 1:46 PM Post #1,307 of 3,257
I do agree with James on the EX1000 including its treble. With a capable source, I actually find the EX1000's sparking treble smooth, elastic and very very enjoyable. I can't say if this has anything to do with the number of hrs I have had so far - my guess close to 4,000 hrs of burn-in's. I enjoy the sounding from the EX1000 paired with my dac/amp so much so that I often try to intentionally find anything that I don't like. I was "disappointed" every time that I couldn't find any. :) 

On the H3, from your guy's impressions its bass appears definitely boosted in comparison to the EX1000. The term "bass bloated" doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't sound muddy or boomy to my ears. To me any time if I hear anything  muddy or boomy it pretty much destroys my music right there. Perhaps I am much more sensitive to the muddy/boomy sounding than anything else. :)

Well thanks guys for all your chip in. There is a Sony store in my city (never been there LOL ) and will find out if they have a pair of H3 for audition.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:04 PM Post #1,308 of 3,257
Originally Posted by marlonmarabe

where did u get it for $85? 
blink.gif

In Czech Republic, sony and sennheiser headphones are generaly cheap. Sales happen quite often. 2 weeks ago you could snatch IE800 for 500$ during a sale. MDR-1R's cost 150$. However shures, westones or ultimate ears are either unavailable or unjustifiable overpriced. Ordering them from America doesn't help either, as there is a +- 20$ shipping and 20% vat.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #1,309 of 3,257
  I do agree with James on the EX1000 including its treble. With a capable source, I actually find the EX1000's sparking treble smooth, elastic and very very enjoyable. I can't say if this has anything to do with the number of hrs I have had so far - my guess close to 4,000 hrs of burn-in's. I enjoy the sounding from the EX1000 paired with my dac/amp so much so that I often try to intentionally find anything that I don't like. I was "disappointed" every time that I couldn't find any. :) 

On the H3, from your guy's impressions its bass appears definitely boosted in comparison to the EX1000. The term "bass bloated" doesn't bother me as long as it doesn't sound muddy or boomy to my ears. To me any time if I hear anything  muddy or boomy it pretty much destroys my music right there. Perhaps I am much more sensitive to the muddy/boomy sounding than anything else. :)

Well thanks guys for all your chip in. There is a Sony store in my city (never been there LOL ) and will find out if they have a pair of H3 for audition.

Yeah, if you find the EX1000's treble enjoyable I fear we could never like similar sound signatures. I think I would find waterboarding more enjoyable than the EX1000's treble. As a matter of fact, if I was a spy and you subjected me to the EX1000's treble I might just spill all secrets I know. I'm just saying. 

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:46 PM Post #1,310 of 3,257

Yeah, if you find the EX1000's treble enjoyable I fear we could never like similar sound signatures. I think I would find waterboarding more enjoyable than the EX1000's treble. As a matter of fact, if I was a spy and you subjected me to the EX1000's treble I might just spill all secrets I know. I'm just saying. 

LOL. You may pay a visit to the Guantanamo Bay and ask for a free try.

Dec 26, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #1,311 of 3,257
Quote:
  I typed nothing about accepting the EX1000 as reference for flat bass.

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Eric. My original post was addressed to DMinor, of whom I know that he hears and appreciates the EX1000 very similar to myself.

Believe it or not, my main issue with boosted bass is that it interferes with realistic positioning of instruments. I'm having similar issues with the IE800 in that regard, which I tried to illustrate in this post. The H3 have more mid-bass and less deep-bass than the IE800, but the eventual effect of the bass player being rendered unrealistically closer to the listener than his/her fellow musicians is exactly the same.

I just don't find the bass of the H3 muddy. Elevated? Yes. Muddy? No. But it's okay to agree to disagree.

evil_smiley.gif

The bass sounds a touch muddy to me (I went straight to the new Sony foam/silicon hybrids), but I do expect that to clear up with burn-in.

I agree, however, that the bass in the H3 started off a tad muddy in the bass, but it has cleared up beautifully with burn-in.

wink.gif
  As I said, the difference being that my own H3s never cleared up with burn-in. Glad that Inks pointed out the tape mod.

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:09 PM Post #1,312 of 3,257
Dec 26, 2013 at 3:14 PM Post #1,313 of 3,257
:cool:
 Quote:

Sorry for the misunderstanding, Eric. My original post was addressed to DMinor, of whom I know that he hears and appreciates the EX1000 very similar to myself.

Believe it or not, my main issue with boosted bass is that it interferes with realistic positioning of instruments. I'm having similar issues with the IE800 in that regard, which I tried to illustrate in this post. The H3 have more mid-bass and less deep-bass than the IE800, but the eventual effect of the bass player being rendered unrealistically closer to the listener than his/her fellow musicians is exactly the same.

evil_smiley.gif

wink.gif
  As I said, the difference being that my own H3s never cleared up with burn-in. Glad that Inks pointed out the tape mod.

Yeah, but I'm not finding it muddy now my friend. lol... Some concerts I've attended the bass is elevated in the mix more than other instruments. With the H3 i find the bass to adjust depending on the recording. The bass isn't obscuring any other instrument instrument either from what I'm hearing. Regardless, glad to know you like the H3. So do I. We just hear it differently. Or should I state we appreciate it differently. lol

Dec 26, 2013 at 3:18 PM Post #1,314 of 3,257
I can understand why some head-fi'ers are bothered by the EX1000 hot treble. To me the treble supposes to be sparkling when called for by music. But it could be hot or grainy with an inferior source or bad recording. When the source is able to render a detailed and fuller treble, the EX1000's treble won't sound hot or grainy. It will sparkle but sound fluid and smooth.

I am a super-heavy listener of music everyday using the EX1000, but I don't consider myself a superman who can handle waterboarding. One maybe, not everyday. LOL.

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:20 PM Post #1,315 of 3,257
  I typed nothing about accepting the EX1000 as reference for flat bass. And flat bass isn't necessarily the best bass to my ears. I just don't find the bass of the H3 muddy. Elevated? Yes. Muddy? No. But it's okay to agree to disagree. Just to put the H3 in the same category as Beats is a severe stretch to me, but we all hear differently. I know you once thought I wouldn't like the W4 because it was flat, and I loved that sound signature for the longest. I love the signature of the RE-400. I can deal with IEMs with flat bass, but I like IEMs with elevated bass when done well. The H3 is done quite well! And yes, I'm an admitted audiophile-basshead (my terminology). I've never been a huge fan of Sony, but the H3 has reeled me in. 

Hey Eric... I really feel the same way about my sound preference. How would you compare the H3 with the AS2/ASG2?

Dec 27, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #1,316 of 3,257
  Hey Eric... I really feel the same way about my sound preference. How would you compare the H3 with the AS2/ASG2?

page 86, daveyostrow.

Dec 28, 2013 at 8:46 PM Post #1,319 of 3,257
  Can I be honest with you guys? I disliked both the H2 and H3. H3 had loose bass and bad clarity, as well as lacking mids. H2 was a bit better, but still quite lacking compared to other hybrids.

On Head-fi? Never! 

I'm not terribly surprised by your findings, I wasn't overly impressed with EX1000 I had on audition, my Rhapsodio v1 Mini (not the 2v1 that got criticized by many myself included ) basically wiped the floor with EX1000 to my ears. Don't get me wrong EX1000 was nice although for a flagship I expected a little more and it hasn't won Sony any favours to try their new Hybrid, that along with my not so fabulous thoughts on their MDR-1R. Go back a few years however I own and adore Sony MDR-V6 for what it is still today.

In my opinion Sony are a mainstream brand, they offer a good dose of sound quality but they do not push the limits of detail and technical ability from my experience. Lets not bash me up because of this shall we? I just find more pleasure in little niche company, smaller establishments, who purely focus on excelling their IEM's, even if that extreme detail is going to cause early fatigue. Of course final judgment is always open until hearing a unit and I shall remain that way for H3.

And with that said I'm off to another thread. By all means enjoy the H3. 

Dec 28, 2013 at 9:22 PM Post #1,320 of 3,257
  Can I be honest with you guys? I disliked both the H2 and H3. H3 had loose bass and bad clarity, as well as lacking mids. H2 was a bit better, but still quite lacking compared to other hybrids.

Hi Kim! Thanks for sharing your thoughts.

As a fellow headfier who's owned the H200, do you think the H3 is not as technically capable? I'll really appreciate your feedback on this...
Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back