Sony XBA-H1 and XBA-H3 Hybrid Dynamic and BA IEM
Dec 23, 2013 at 12:45 PM Post #1,276 of 3,257
Hi guys, went down to an iem store to audition both sennheiser ie 80 and xba h3. Both sounded equally good, great soundstage and balanced sound. (IE 80 = more bass, H3 = more mids and high clarity). Can't decide on which to purchase so would like to ask for some opinions regarding this 2 iems and which is of better sound quality.
All I'm aware of is that the H3 has a higher 43 ohm. Will it be compatible with my Xperia Z1? It'll really seem bulky if i have to carry an amp outdoor just to power the h3 to it's full potential, not to mention it's bulky as it is already. 
I first got the EX-1000, then the H3. Both have a superb high quality bass. My IE80 cannot compete with each of them. It has more bass quantity, but not this quality. Hence it does no longer get any headtime. And these two Sonys totally drag me away from my full-size cans. I mean nearly 100 %! The H3 trumps the Ex-1000 in the mids and treble so this is far more quality than I ever expected. But all of them including the Sennheiser benefit a lot from my portable amplifiers.

Dec 24, 2013 at 1:37 AM Post #1,277 of 3,257
I first got the EX-1000, then the H3. Both have a superb high quality bass. My IE80 cannot compete with each of them. It has more bass quantity, but not this quality. Hence it does no longer get any headtime. And these two Sonys totally drag me away from my full-size cans. I mean nearly 100 %! The H3 trumps the Ex-1000 in the mids and treble so this is far more quality than I ever expected. But all of them including the Sennheiser benefit a lot from my portable amplifiers.

Yeah after I received a pair of the EX1000 by mistake, I couldn't take the IE80 anymore. My IE80 was long gone while the EX1000 still sounds fresh everyday to these ears. I have so far logged in close to 4,000 hrs for the EX1000, and this thing couldn't sound better with my diymod and Leckerton.

I lost track of this thread for some time. It appears the H3 has received some good reviews from some fellow head-fi'ers. This is encouraging and I really thought the H3 was a disappointment.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:36 AM Post #1,278 of 3,257
How does the H3 compare with V6 in terms of clarity, details, soundstage, imaging, SQ, etc?

I'll probably get to it by the weekend.

Dec 24, 2013 at 4:42 AM Post #1,279 of 3,257
Well, after praise from some well respected posters on here, I decided to get the XBA-H3's through Amazon (£177.34) and free Sunday delivery! I haven't had much time to burn them in, but initial impressions are VERY positive.  Bass is well structured and deep, while the trebles and highs are well defined without being over powering or harsh.  I think I have myself a keeper! Thank you so much for all the feedback when I was comparing these and the IE80's!

Dec 24, 2013 at 7:55 AM Post #1,280 of 3,257
What about the H3 compared with the westone um 30 pro and westone w40? Which among these 3 produces better sound quality?
I went down to another store to test the um 30 pro today and was pleased by the clarity and amount of bass it manage to produce, would like to know opinions in this comparison

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:23 AM Post #1,281 of 3,257
Okay, I know I'm not being nice on this Christmas Eve, but the XBA-H3 is so delicious when connected to an DAC-amp (in this case, the Fiio E10). Such a full sweet beautiful detailed sound!

Dec 24, 2013 at 11:42 AM Post #1,282 of 3,257
For those who didn't like the H3 initially, it had to be the fit. This earphone kicks some serious a--! I'm just saying. For jazz, it just may be one of the best earphones I've ever heard. By the way, the DN-1000 is still doing a great job with burn in and wonderful layering for a hybrid. It's like the guitar hybrid. Great for the price. But the H3 is standing out in a place all its own.

Dec 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #1,284 of 3,257
  For those who didn't like the H3 initially, it had to be the fit. This earphone kicks some serious a--! I'm just saying. For jazz, it just may be one of the best earphones I've ever heard. By the way, the DN-1000 is still doing a great job with burn in and wonderful layering for a hybrid. It's like the guitar hybrid. Great for the price. But the H3 is standing out in a place all its own.

Can't wait for the m200 comparison! good review on the three top dogs ericp10, now to sell all the earphones to get them asgs + sony h3s.

Dec 25, 2013 at 4:10 PM Post #1,290 of 3,257

How does the H3 compare with V6 in terms of clarity, details, soundstage, imaging, SQ, etc?

More natural sounding bass in the H3. Soundstage, both are wide but H3 has instruments pushed farther back, while the whole soundstage is pushed somewhat forward in the V6. Both are great on details and clarity. Highs are a bit more extended in the H3. The H3 has a bit more clarity and detail in the vocals. I think the H3 is a bit warmer in sound than the V6. The V6 mids is very detailed. It's about a tie in the mids

In all fairness to the V6, I'm using a silver-plated custom cable on it. With the stock cable, the soundstage is super wide (probably wider than the H3), but I like the silver plated custom cable better in shaping the sound of the V6. Bass, of course, goes deeper with the H3. The H3 sounds a bit richer with the hybrid mix. Strings are better in the H3. Overall, it's a about a tie in sound quality enjoyment for me. The two don't sound anything alike, and weren't meant to sound alike. Both are very detailed and capable IEMs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back