Sony XBA-300 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Oct 21, 2015 at 9:36 PM Post #62 of 326
I want these!  What will they cost and when will they be available?

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:15 PM Post #64 of 326
These cost 30k yen (~$250), and already available in Asia. No info on when they'll come stateside though.

You can always get it immediately from Amazon Japan have it shipped to you via Tenso.

Thanks for the info!

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:35 PM Post #66 of 326
So guys I am considering getting either these, the older XBA-A2, or the Audio Technica ATH-IM02 or IM03 as my next big IEM purchase.  What are your thoughts on the matter, everyone?

Oct 21, 2015 at 11:49 PM Post #67 of 326
  So guys I am considering getting either these, the older XBA-A2, or the Audio Technica ATH-IM02 or IM03 as my next big IEM purchase.  What are your thoughts on the matter, everyone?

the xba300 is leaner than the a2, have better extension both ways than the im02 and better clarity over the im03
biggrin.gif

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:00 AM Post #68 of 326

I have the XBA-A3 and to be frank is bassy but not in a bad way, it kicks hard and deep! but has nice treble and mids extension, so I note no loss inclarity (tho using it with a NW-ZX100)

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:13 AM Post #69 of 326

Depends on what you're looking for. A2 seems like a bassy, warm and more refined H3 (which I hope solved the bass bleeding into mids problem), but I haven't listened to it yet.
I've had the IM03 and sold it off. It is good, quite balanced, not as bassy as H3, mids are flat and treble is extended but smoothed out. Soundstage not that wide/deep though. A good all-rounder.
The IM02 won't be what you want if you want the Sony warm sound haha. It's more emphasised in the mids while lacking bass.
Heard the IM02 only once, preferred the IM03, then sold that for the CKR9 which I feel is the best ATH earphone currently. Cheaper too.

All said and done I'm still awaiting more impressions of the XBA-300.

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:45 PM Post #70 of 326

Depends on what you're looking for. A2 seems like a bassy, warm and more refined H3 (which I hope solved the bass bleeding into mids problem), but I haven't listened to it yet.
I've had the IM03 and sold it off. It is good, quite balanced, not as bassy as H3, mids are flat and treble is extended but smoothed out. Soundstage not that wide/deep though. A good all-rounder.
The IM02 won't be what you want if you want the Sony warm sound haha. It's more emphasised in the mids while lacking bass.
Heard the IM02 only once, preferred the IM03, then sold that for the CKR9 which I feel is the best ATH earphone currently. Cheaper too.

All said and done I'm still awaiting more impressions of the XBA-300.

What's the difference between the CK9 and the CKR9?

Oct 22, 2015 at 3:57 PM Post #72 of 326

Singe BA vs Dual dynamic driver (Dual Phase Push-Pull Drivers)

And what does the CKR9 sound like, in terms of its signature and tonality?

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:21 PM Post #73 of 326
Oct 22, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #74 of 326

I personally found CKR9 to be too forward in the upper mid region, giving a nasal tonality to anything and everything. It was very obvious when switching from other "flatter" sounding iems. Once your ears get used to it, it all sounds good though as the bass is fantastically layered and the overall sound is quite resolving with good resolution.

However, I pre

These 3 are actually very different sounding iems.

XBA A2; Warm and bassy. Great for modern pop/rock with its boomy bass and sparkly highs. Somewhat improved from XBA H3 but I would say its lacking balance compared to IM02/IM03

IM02: Neutral to slightly warm sound, excellent bass for dual BA, nicely done overall balance. The most natural sounding of the Audio Technica iems in my opinion (CKR10 comes close). The smoothest also.

IM03: V shaped. Recessed mids, decent bass but the treble is not that good. It is sparkly and has quite a bit of presence but also rather harsh in the lower treble. Tonality is off as well.

I would suggesst you also look into the XBA A3, which basically is a much more balanced sounding A2 and performs a notch higher than all of the above. I have yet to try the XBA 300 but so far seems like it would be a leaner sounding A3. Hoping to try it soon.

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:54 PM Post #75 of 326

I personally found CKR9 to be too forward in the upper mid region, giving a nasal tonality to anything and everything. It was very obvious when switching from other "flatter" sounding iems. Once your ears get used to it, it all sounds good though as the bass is fantastically layered and the overall sound is quite resolving with good resolution.

However, I pre

These 3 are actually very different sounding iems.

XBA A2; Warm and bassy. Great for modern pop/rock with its boomy bass and sparkly highs. Somewhat improved from XBA H3 but I would say its lacking balance compared to IM02/IM03

IM02: Neutral to slightly warm sound, excellent bass for dual BA, nicely done overall balance. The most natural sounding of the Audio Technica iems in my opinion (CKR10 comes close). The smoothest also.

IM03: V shaped. Recessed mids, decent bass but the treble is not that good. It is sparkly and has quite a bit of presence but also rather harsh in the lower treble. Tonality is off as well.

I would suggesst you also look into the XBA A3, which basically is a much more balanced sounding A2 and performs a notch higher than all of the above. I have yet to try the XBA 300 but so far seems like it would be a leaner sounding A3. Hoping to try it soon.

And pair the XBA-A3 with a sony walkman NW-ZX100 and you'll get ultimate bliss, they become more leaner sounding  very nice, I had the XBA-H3 and ended selling them because what you say, very damn bassy and weird sounding kind of V-shape

Users who are viewing this thread

Back