Sony XBA-300 Impressions & Discussion Thread
Sep 15, 2015 at 1:21 AM Post #16 of 326
I'd be surprised to hear if these new Sonys are tuned with little bass. In my experiences all my Sony IEMs were quite bass-oriented (although not in a bad way).

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:43 PM Post #21 of 326
Wish Sony could bring on some flatter looking iems like westone 4R. I am getting tired of these protruding in ears as it's not fitting in this day and age when everyone wants everything closer to the body.

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #22 of 326

That would be an understatment :p  Would love to read comparisons between the Z5 and New iems specifically if you get a chance. And is it true they might be releasing a 5 driver model as well?

the very fact that the x5 is a hybrid puts it in a different category where comparison is difficult.  the additional dynamic driver makes it a little edgy but livelier.  personally really dig a good pair of dynamics over BA any day for the extended highs and lows, something that BA can't reproduce.

the xba300, is typical pure BA, really smooth across.  what is interesting is how the sound seems a little more extended on both ends than most others.

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:54 PM Post #23 of 326

the very fact that the x5 is a hybrid puts it in a different category where comparison is difficult.  the additional dynamic driver makes it a little edgy but livelier.  personally really dig a good pair of dynamics over BA any day for the extended highs and lows, something that BA can't reproduce.

the xba300, is typical pure BA, really smooth across.  what is interesting is how the sound seems a little more extended on both ends than most others.

Fair enough, it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison. I have always been a fan of dynamics myself. Kind of disappointed that they are not making any more single dynamic driver flagships ala EX1000. I have sort of a love hate relationship with the Z5. At times it blows me away with its soundstage and sense of space. Other times am peeved at the bass as its slow at times and flabby. Very big contrast from when I switch from a leaner sounding IEM

I haven't really owned any pure BA (have the Orotofon EQ8 and Heaven 7 on loan for a bit) so I guess I am not sure what to really expect on how the new sonys might sound. At the very least, I thought they might build on the Z5. A Z5 successor+ Ex1000 build quality/cable connector and bit less bass should have been an easy home run for them imo. 

Sep 15, 2015 at 6:58 PM Post #24 of 326

Fair enough, it wouldn't be an apples to apples comparison. I have always been a fan of dynamics myself. Kind of disappointed that they are not making any more single dynamic driver flagships ala EX1000. I have sort of a love hate relationship with the Z5. At times it blows me away with its soundstage and sense of space. Other times am peeved at the bass as its slow at times and flabby. Very big contrast from when I switch from a leaner sounding IEM

I haven't really owned any pure BA (have the Orotofon EQ8 and Heaven 7 on loan for a bit) so I guess I am not sure what to really expect on how the new sonys might sound. At the very least, I thought they might build on the Z5. A Z5 successor+ Ex1000 build quality/cable connector and bit less bass should have been an easy home run for them imo. 

love the ex1000 to bits back then.  currently for pure dynamic drive, they are the dita truth and campfire lyra for me.

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:46 PM Post #25 of 326
Sony are coming with the ~$100 EX750 with single 9mm driver and maybe larger driver single HD dynamics will come. Maybe a 12mm mid-range for ~$200 and another 16mm flagship perhaps?

Sep 15, 2015 at 7:58 PM Post #26 of 326
  Sony are coming with the ~$100 EX750 with single 9mm driver and maybe larger driver single HD dynamics will come. Maybe a 12mm mid-range for ~$200 and another 16mm flagship perhaps?

getting dynamic driven iem sounding good is a big challenge in controlling the resonance within the housing, size of the drivers, coating of diaphram etc.  generally, anything larger than 10mm is a drag for iem.  the response is so slow to a point where only pure vocals sounds good.  everything else sounds so draggy and bass is really bloaty.

Sep 15, 2015 at 9:05 PM Post #27 of 326

getting dynamic driven iem sounding good is a big challenge in controlling the resonance within the housing, size of the drivers, coating of diaphram etc.  generally, anything larger than 10mm is a drag for iem.  the response is so slow to a point where only pure vocals sounds good.  everything else sounds so draggy and bass is really bloaty.

Whaaa!!!?? Sorry mate, but I can't agree with this. There are lots earphones out there that would do a good job of disputing this. Heck, KZ managed to pull off quick and clean bass with their old ANV. That 14 mm driver is free of bloat and quite quick.

Oct 4, 2015 at 3:14 PM Post #30 of 326
@lalala6

Do you have the length in mm of the iem, from the tip of the buds to the other end, also does it say where the iem are made.

I actually have the XBA 3, EX 600 and EX800, how does the size compare to the XBA 3 as it probably best to compare to similar shape iem, or other XBA iem.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back