Sony WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 Android Walkman Optimization Guide
Nov 9, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #106 of 159
Or, it might be more about my ability to remember what it sounded like before changing everything :) All of these tips are great. And if the Sony is working less to playback off of SD cards, chances are that it's performing up to its full theoretical potential.

I have a RS8, SP2000, and the Sony WM-1Zm2. There all different, it's nice to get them to sound their best.

On the topic of sdcard, It is recommended by Sony themselves that you should format your microsd card via the Walkman first(if you haven't done so):

• Use a microSD card that has been formatted on the player. Sony does not guarantee the operation of other microSD cards.
  • Sony does not guarantee all operations for microSD cards that are used on multiple devices.
https://helpguide.sony.net/dmp/nwwm1m2/v1/en/contents/TP1000464543.html#

The second point seems very intriguing but I guess there might be a reason for Sony to state this. So maybe we should dedicate a single microsd card to a single dap, instead of using them all over different DAPs.

Personally for myself, I have notice better database rebuild times with microsd card formatted with Walkman OS as compared to using Microsoft Windows format and SD Memory Card Formatter for Windows. Album art also loads up abit quicker if you format via Sony.

Also, I feel that microsd formatted by Sony Walkman Player does sound a bit better compared to Windows format and SD Formatter.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #108 of 159
@Whitigir

I am noticing quite a good level of sound quality improvement from doing the combination of 3 steps on my WM1AM2:

1) Enabling Battery Saver in android battery settings
2) Enabling Suspend execution for cached app in Developer Options
3) Going to Settings > Apps & notifications > #Appname(every single app that exist on the walkman,except sony apps) > Battery > Background Restriction > Restricted

Maybe you can try experimenting these options on your DX320 Ti if these options are also on the android OS side. See if these can help with improvement to the sound.

The sound improvements I am hearing is more towards improvements to soft/tiny sound details in soundstage and the bass impact/visceral feel of music notes. I am quite careful about what I do now, as I feel my current walkman's tuning and IER-M9 has already reached some kind of synergy limits, any further adjustments can mess up the balance/voicing to the point of not sounding good.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #109 of 159
@Whitigir

I am noticing quite a good level of sound quality improvement from doing the combination of 3 steps on my WM1AM2:

1) Enabling Battery Saver in android battery settings
2) Enabling Suspend execution for cached app in Developer Options
3) Going to Settings > Apps & notifications > #Appname(every single app that exist on the walkman,except sony apps) > Battery > Background Restriction > Restricted

Maybe you can try experimenting these options on your DX320 Ti if these options are also on the android OS side. See if these can help with improvement to the sound.

The sound improvements I am hearing is more towards improvements to soft/tiny sound details in soundstage and the bass impact/visceral feel of music notes.
Yeah, I have always had this feature turned on. So, I can’t compare for you. I never wanted to have background parallel processing on any of these devices.

Nov 11, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #110 of 159
Yeah, I have always had this feature turned on. So, I can’t compare for you. I never wanted to have background parallel processing on any of these devices.
I think keeping the hardware running on low power mode helps with improvement audio quality in general. I guess there's where one area where Ibasso is truely better than Sony, more flexibility on the software side to tune things to your desire.

Last edited:
Nov 11, 2023 at 1:42 PM Post #111 of 159
I think I might have to find a even lower footprint keyboard, Microsoft added "AI" to the swift keyboard. Not liking the idea of having another "AI" robbing precious cpu cycles & power from the dedicated music player.

Nov 11, 2023 at 11:47 PM Post #112 of 159
I think I might have to find an even lower footprint keyboard, Microsoft added "AI" to the swift keyboard. Not liking the idea of having another "AI" robbing precious cpu cycles & power from the dedicated music player.

Simple Keyboard?

Nov 12, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #113 of 159
Nov 22, 2023 at 7:50 AM Post #114 of 159
I've gone back to listening to my Kann Cube for my Viking Ragnar. I miss the power and wonder if adding a C9 or Topaz to the Sony would make it sound more like an RS8 or Kann? I love the Sony sound, but find it doesn't hit notes hard on rare occasions when I want it. A higher gain would have been great for this much money. And I have tried it on a GS-X Mini. I found out that 1zm2 sounds sort of bad with an external desktop amp. Someone suggested the ground was the cause. I don't hear noise, but it sounds dull but louder with the GS-X Mini.

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2023 at 8:39 AM Post #115 of 159
I've gone back to listening to my Kann Cube for my Viking Ragnar. I miss the power and wonder if adding a C9 or Topaz to the Sony would make it sound more like an RS8 or Kann? I love the Sony sound, but find it doesn't hit notes hard on rare occasions when I want it. A high gain would have been great for this much money. And I have tried it on a GS-X Mini. I found out that 1zm2 sounds sort of bad with an external desktop amp. Someone suggested the ground was the cause. I don't hear noise, but it sounds dull but louder with the GS-X Mini.
That is because Walkman doesn’t have the true line out feature and you are basically double amping. However, you can still make it to work if you use a balanced transformers for the input adapter

Nov 22, 2023 at 1:02 PM Post #117 of 159
However, both SONY NW-WM1x M2s do have high gain provided you have an uncapped unit.
I beg your pardon, yes mine does. I miswrote. I have it on high gain all the time; however, it doesn't seem to produce that much more gain.
It is more like a low and medium gain rather than a normal and high gain with the IEMs I like to use. But again, probably being too critical?
The Sony NW-WM1Zm2 is nice in most ways, I don't regret buying one. Just wished I could have the sound signature and a more immediate
impact to some of the notes without such high volume.

A true Sony line out would have been nice since I actually spend more time at home and listening at my desk where several desktop amps are available
that I would most likely be okay with using. Although they do have some noise due to the high sensitivity of the IEMs and maybe too low resistance load.
So I take it that the kind of amp really won't help since the main problem is no line out.

( I'm so happy I didn't buy a Sony ZX707 US model, I most likely would be trying to get my money back. Way too low output.)

Thanks again for your expert advice.

S.

Last edited:
Nov 28, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #118 of 159
Does anyone know what could be the longer term effects of setting the volume on 100% from the 1Zm2 for years on end? Will this quickly wear out the Sony?
I did find a solid state headphone amp that is okay with the Sony. The Beyerdynamics A20 is okay, it definitely gives a much larger soundstage to the Sony without
dulling the overall tonality so now I am considering maybe looking for something better to pair the Sony with. However, before going too far, I'd like to know if anyone
has burnt out a Sony by using it with maximum volume for long periods of time.

Jan 22, 2024 at 10:25 AM Post #120 of 159
I wanted to thank everyone for the tips in this thread. I just got an AM2 and was pretty annoyed that my battery went down by almost 20% over the first night. It went down only 2% last night. I’m sure I can do even better, but for right now at least this is great. Thanks again!
What was one of the main things you did that you felt helped a lot? Turning off sensors was something I never would have don't without thos thread.

I have both the 1A and 1Z and they are both amazing in their own way.

1A seems to be more transparent, 1Z sounds more musical with much less fatigue for longer listening sessions. Overall I would give the edge to the flagship but I can not complain and repsect the 1A a lot due to price, portability, and overall value. Sony did an amazing job for both these DAPS.

Soundstage on AK flagships are bit larger though!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back