Sony WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 Android Walkman Optimization Guide
Mar 2, 2024 at 9:14 AM Post #151 of 159
Why do you care what he thinks? He is from the camp where all cables sound the same etc.
Well he called me Squizo so I would like to thank him as a gesture of my good will. Although you are right too, there’s no need to be caring either. He already has his own closed mind about audio and nothing is going to change that nor is he calling me a Squizo going to change anything. Can I call him Clozio?

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 4:19 PM Post #152 of 159
@Sonywalkmanuser no need to pay them any mind.

The optimization guide has nothing to do with SD cards, or hardware differences anyhow and even if one doesn't believe in those, you can't deny that the M2 Walkman's do function better in tangible metrics like performance and battery life.

They're just angry that the ZM2 is priced higher than what they're willing to pay and decide to be a jerk about it.

Mar 4, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #153 of 159
Disabling apps works just as well as removing them completely. Considering no one is using the internal storage, I think disabling Google apps is the best move because down the line you, you just never know if you may want to do something different. Also in regards to battery, Android has built-in advanced battery optimizations. Battery life will approve over the next few weeks and adapt to your usage, the system will decide what apps need optimizing and what needs to run for efficient functionality. Check out battery SOC and DOD to get an idea about charging.

I just picked up the WM1AM2 yesterday and disabled 99% of the Google apps. I think I only need Chrome for now.

Mar 5, 2024 at 2:06 PM Post #154 of 159
Mar 14, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #155 of 159
Guide last updated: Nov 2022

General Disclaimers:
This guide is completely optional, you don't have to perform this optimization if you don't feel comfortable with adjusting with inner workings of android OS
There is no guarantee that this guide will not cause unexpected issues with operation of your Walkman. Try at your own risk.

Please note that this guide was made in Apr 2022, the best efforts on my end was made to ensure that this tweaks and optimisation worked back then with firmware 1.01.

if you are reading this guide on a much future date, there are likely new changes in firmware or Google’s app dependencies that might result in unsuccessful debloating or cause certain app to malfunction. This will require more trial and error on your end to ink out the issue. Please do read to the end of the thread to check upon if anyone else has give new information that will help to resolve any new issues with debloating of newer firmware.

Please feel free to add anything else missing from this guide and also post any new issues and troubleshooted resolutions you found with the guide to allow others to benefit from information.

Enabling Fresh Out of box Settings:
Settings >Hi-Res Streaming >Slide to right
Settings > Battery > Battery Percentage > Slide to right
Settings > Battery > Battery Care > Use Battery Care > Slide to right

Gain Access to Android Developer Options:
Settings > About Device > scroll to bottom of page, then Tap Ten times on Build Number
Once this is done, go to:
Settings > System > Advanced > Developer Options
Windows animation scale > Animation Off
Transition animation scale > Animation Off
Animator duration scale > Animation Off
Doing the above will disable unnecessary Android system fade animation that slows down App switching(along with unnecessary graphics processing power usage). You will notice more instantaneous app switching.

Apps that are deem safe(by me) to disable in the context of using your Walkman for streaming apps and music playback.
Settings > Apps & notifications > See All xx APPS > Tap on 3 dots at top right of screen > Show System >

Apps to disable(tap on each app and tap on disable):
Please note that you can also uninstall apps which is more effective than just disabling apps but to uninstall apps you need to enable usb debugging mode and use a software on your computer to uninstall. Please read further down this thread for more info:

Android Accessibility Suite
Blocked Numbers Storage
Bookmark Provider
Calculator
Calendar Storage
com.android.contacts.ContactsApplication
com.android.providers.partnerbookmarks
com.android.soundrecorder
Contacts Storage
Default Print Service
Digital Wellbeing
Drive
Duo
Example Wallpapers
Gmail
Google
Google Contacts Sync
Google Partner Setup
Google One Time Init
Google TV
Market Feedback Agent
Maps
MusicFX
Photos
Print Service Recommendation Service
Speech Services by Google

If any APPs start having issues running on your walkman, you can restore back the original App settings by doing this:
Settings > Apps & notifications > See All xx APPS > Tap on 3 dots at top right of screen > Reset app preferences

Privacy and other settings to check

Settings > Location > Off

Settings > Accounts > Automatically sync app data > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet >Airplane mode > Slide to right

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi > Wi-Fi preferences > Notify for public networks > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi >Scan settings > Wi-Fi scanning > slide to left

Settings > Network and Internet > Wi-Fi >Scan settings > Bluetooth scanning > slide to left

Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences > Tap on Bluetooth > Wireless Playback Quality > (set according to your preferences)

Settings > Connected devices > Connection preferences >Nearby Share > Off

Settings > System > Languages & input > On-screen keyboard > Gboard >Advanced > Share usage statistics > Slide to left

Settings > System > Languages & input > On-screen keyboard > Gboard >Advanced > Improve voice and typing for everyone > Slide to left

Settings > Google > Personalize using shared data > slide left for everything listed here

Settings > Accessibility > Remove animations > Slide to right

Settings > Google > tap on 3 dots at top right hand corner > Usage & diagnostic > Slide left

You can also consider changing the Google keyboard app to a lower memory footprint app like simple keyboard or Microsoft swift keyboard. Please note that only Google keyboard will work in safe mode so do not adb uninstall the Gboard app but to disable it instead for in case of emergency situatons where you need to go safe mode and require software keyboard input.

For those using Google playstore account, you may want to change these to protect your privacy better:

Settings > Privacy > Advanced > Ads > enable debug logs for ads (turn off)

Settings > Google > Personalize using share data > other on-device sources > turn off both device contacts and external media

(Ignore this) For Google search result hit:

ソニーWM1AM2およびWM1ZM2 Androidウォークマン最適化ガイド

索尼 WM1AM2 和 WM1ZM2 安卓随身听优化指南
Thanks. I'm looking to pick up the WM1am2 soon :)

I've also heard that, just like the old non-Android Walkmans (WM1a, zx300, nw a55 etc.), changing the region will change the sound too. Anyone here tested that theory out on the new Android-based Walkmans?

Mar 15, 2024 at 3:56 AM Post #156 of 159
Thanks. I'm looking to pick up the WM1am2 soon :)

I've also heard that, just like the old non-Android Walkmans (WM1a, zx300, nw a55 etc.), changing the region will change the sound too. Anyone here tested that theory out on the new Android-based Walkmans?
Yes. Some of us have experienced sound changes just from changing the language on the M2 Walkman. In my own experience, I felt that the changes are quite noticeable right away. There is quite a lot of variance in the bass presentation and the spatial sound between some of these languages. See this post and beyond for more:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/sony-nw-wm1z-m2-wm1a-m2.962054/page-974#post-18008113

Mar 15, 2024 at 10:43 PM Post #157 of 159
Apr 21, 2024 at 11:26 AM Post #159 of 159
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back