Sony WM1AM2 and WM1ZM2 Android Walkman Optimization Guide
Feb 2, 2024 at 11:28 PM Post #136 of 159
I still wish there was a way to make mine boot up faster.

I grew up using real Walkmans (tape!) and it was very satisfying to just hit the play button and have music start right away. Now it's like a minute or two wait after an awkwardly long button press.

Although it is convenient to have like 100's of albums on there without ever having to flip the tape over :k701smile: .

Feb 2, 2024 at 11:48 PM Post #137 of 159
My personal debloated Walkman can boot up in 40sec or so, although it not really a fast boot up by 2024 standards but a 40sec wait is not that too long of a wait.

You have to consider that the ancient tape Walkman has its major drawback of not being able to skip songs automatically and instantaneously nor does it have the ability to do random shuffle, which the modern digital Walkman can do.
Japanese youtuber WM1AM2:
Cold boot 50sec
Reset Boot 56.9sec

@Sonywalkmanuser debloated WM1AM2(FW1.07):
Cold boot 40sec
Reset boot 42sec

I still wish there was a way to make mine boot up faster.

I grew up using real Walkmans (tape!) and it was very satisfying to just hit the play button and have music start right away. Now it's like a minute or two wait after an awkwardly long button press.

Although it is convenient to have like 100's of albums on there without ever having to flip the tape over :k701smile: .

Feb 3, 2024 at 12:00 AM Post #138 of 159
You have to consider that the ancient tape Walkman has its major drawback of not being able to skip songs automatically and instantaneously nor does it have the ability to do random shuffle, which the modern digital Walkman can do.
Oh I know, the boot up time is literally the only thing that bugs me, everything else is of course vastly superior. :)

I do kinda miss the feel of the old school buttons though, they just had this tactile ca-chunk with an instant reward of tunes that today's tech doesn't match.

Kinda like how kids today won't know what it was like to be arguing with some on the phone and then slam it down to hang up on someone. Tapping a screen to hang up in anger just doesn't compare lol.

Feb 3, 2024 at 5:59 AM Post #141 of 159
Install simple keyboard and select simple keyboard as your default keyboard. I would just deactivate Gboard. Do not delete. In an emergency it is still needed to start the player. I also just disabled gboard
The only keyboard app that works in safe mode is gboard. Do not adb uninstall as there is a high chance that you need the keyboard for data entry in safe mode.

Also I would recommend replacing the quickstep launcher with a more lightweight launcher to improve performance.

Feb 3, 2024 at 9:08 AM Post #143 of 159
I wrote the same thing earlier. Don't delete it, just deactivate it. I feel like I'm writing here in Chinese.
:stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
I just want to add on more to your post to others here as I felt your post did not mention in detail about safe mode data entry, because one can certainly start up Walkman without gboard installed and operate the player using touch or button controls in both normal and safe mode.

Feb 3, 2024 at 11:22 PM Post #144 of 159
I just want to add on more to your post to others here as I felt your post did not mention in detail about safe mode data entry, because one can certainly start up Walkman without gboard installed and operate the player using touch or button controls in both normal and safe mode.
Phew as I am pretty sure I deleted it

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:32 AM Post #145 of 159
I just got a NW-A307 after trying the nw-a306.
Was cheaper to get this and import from Amazon Japan than buy locally from Amazon DE the 306.

Just a watch out to be careful as I went a step too far somewhere with the tweaks and ended up causing the music to keep stuttering and scramble.

Now done a full reset to factory settings and will be conservative in tweaks.

Feb 24, 2024 at 1:47 AM Post #146 of 159
I just got a NW-A307 after trying the nw-a306.
Was cheaper to get this and import from Amazon Japan than buy locally from Amazon DE the 306.

Just a watch out to be careful as I went a step too far somewhere with the tweaks and ended up causing the music to keep stuttering and scramble.

Now done a full reset to factory settings and will be conservative in tweaks.
Yes, caution is advised, especially if you are new to debloating android.

I would advise to not delete(adb uninstall) any that has "sony" in the name of the app as we do not know what hidden functions or processes that could rely on the sony apps, or if the app could provide Sony technical support with logs or something, if ever that you need to send the walkman for repair/troubleshooting. Also it is best to google "full name of the app (i.e. com.android.soundrecorder) safe to remove" if you are unsure if the app is essential for the system bootup.

One approach is to first disable the apps using the android settings and use the walkman for a week or so. Once you have determine with confidence that disabling the app does not cause issue to the operation of your walkman, then you can proceed to adb uninstall the app from your walkman.

Also I would like to mention that the items listed in this post should be very safe to disable:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...lkman-optimization-guide.962975/post-16953155

Last edited:
Feb 24, 2024 at 1:52 AM Post #147 of 159
Yes, caution is advised, especially if you are new to debloating android.

I would advise to not delete(adb uninstall) any that has "sony" in the name of the app as we do not know what hidden functions or processes that could rely on the sony apps, or if the app could provide Sony technical support with logs or something, if ever that you need to send the walkman for repair/troubleshooting. Also it is best to google "full name of the app (i.e. com.android.soundrecorder) safe to remove" if you are unsure if the app is essential for the system bootup.

One approach is to first disable the apps using the android settings and use the walkman for a week or so. Once you have determine with confidence that disabling the app does not cause issue to the operation of your walkman, then you can proceed to adb uninstall the app from your walkman.

Also I would like to mention that the items listed in this post should be very safe to disable:
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/son...lkman-optimization-guide.962975/post-16953155
The weird thing is that when I tested the 306 I did 99% the same and no issues so I'll tread carefully when doing this again.

Appreciate the guides very useful.

Mar 2, 2024 at 2:53 AM Post #148 of 159
@andrewski:
I am so glad to be called an audio squizo by a redditor:
Prestigious-Low-6235
2d ago

Just so you know there isn’t any difference between the two in sound profile at least from a technical standpoint, the golden one Sony claims sounds better because it has an oxygen copper free case and a kimber kable connecting the amp to the balanced jack, but here is the thing, all cables even cheap ones are oxygen copper free, it’s in the chemical process, and also a different housing isn’t going to give you better sound, so basically you’re paying triple for nothing and you’ll see conflicting opinions of people who bought the more expensive one, but it’s all snake oil, if you’re going to buy either one I suggest you buy the cheaper one as it’s the same and anyone who thinks the opposite doesn’t have god damn proof, also the optimization guide is written by a straight up audio squizo who thinks that sd cards actually improve sound so it maybe makes the os faster but don’t expect any sound improvements tldr save your money don’t go into the audiophile rabbithole
https://www.reddit.com/r/walkman/comments/1b2sg0o/comment/ksqc4aw/

not sure what a squizo actually means but anyhow thanks for the recognition.

Last edited:
Mar 2, 2024 at 8:34 AM Post #149 of 159
@andrewski:
I am so glad to be called an audio squizo by a redditor:

https://www.reddit.com/r/walkman/comments/1b2sg0o/comment/ksqc4aw/

not sure what a squizo actually means but anyhow thanks for the recognition.
Congratulations 😂

Squizo sounds like the perfect vocabulary from someone angrily demanding proof. And thinks snake oil is a swear that can't be challenged. It's hard when everybody knows everything.

It offends me that you would risk your own unit, share the benefits with everyone, and be called a squizo.

Funny how anyone screaming snake oil at the source (like an SD card) isn't willing to try it, or even ask a friend. Don't let the mob do your homework. Try for yourself.

I haven't made an optimization guide and shared it. Or shared countless intelligent, comprehensive insights and interviews from the makers. But I do share my positive experiences with a Swissbit.

You are not the squizo. I am.

Squizo's unite ❤️

Mar 2, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #150 of 159

Users who are viewing this thread

Back