Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 11, 2013 at 3:26 PM Post #1,666 of 7,711
  Things are looking very promising so far. If battery is around 20 hours with good UI and it sounds good then it may be too tempting to resist. Hopefully someone has a HM901 to compare to since that is another dap I was considering. 

I will wait for the new year before I make a decision as I don't like waiting and hopefully by then there isn't a back order on this dap anymore. 

Please take note, that new batteries will not show their true time, not until 3 to 5 recharge cycles.

My Note 3 gave me after 6 charges about 30% extra time.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:57 PM Post #1,668 of 7,711
A big thank you to the reviewers so far whilst waiting for mine to arrive, all sounds reassuring and great!
If it isn't , there's always the Z1070 i guess!
Should meet the Japanese wonder some point in the afternoon tomorrow ..☺️

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:31 PM Post #1,669 of 7,711
Ordered n awaiting ! looking forward to a splendid christmas combo with my 334s !
dt880smile.png

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:24 PM Post #1,671 of 7,711
I've actually been ignoring my NX1 for the past few days as I've been busy but it's been burning in throughout the whole time. Getting back to it today I'm actually more convinced that Sony does have a winner here. However I think earphone matching may be a key. It's not necessarily suitable for all kinds of earphones - especially naturally bright ones (to my taste at least).

Something like the Ocharaku Kaede's the NX1 may not be so suitable for but for the MH335DW (and presumably TG!334 which mine is off to US for a little demo there) the NX1 seems to really excel.

Dec 11, 2013 at 11:54 PM Post #1,672 of 7,711
My ZX1 has about four hours on it now. A few thoughts.

-Initially I found its sound comparable to the iPhone 5s out, using the akg 3003i. (which is not a bad thing). I went back and forth between both several times and finally decided the Sony won by a small margin.
-having physical buttons for pause, play, volume and ff/r is now essential to me. (the Tera dropped the ball not offering pause, I now use pause all the time).
-the player is sexy as hell.
-whomever designed the accompanying case should probably be fired. No button access?!?

And then I turned on Clear Audio+.

Wow. I usually say 'headstage' when discussing headphones, but with Clear Audio + on, it is that much closer to a speaker experience. There is definitely a volume boost, and I have gone back and forth with CA on/off with volume adjustments. No matter the volume, without Clear Audio+ on, after having listened to it, I can not go back to not using it. Anak & Mim, have you tried it?? I would be very interested in your impressions. The only downside for me so far is a questionable loss of midrange presence, but I need more time to test.

The th900 directly out of the zx1 is more than impressive. It's overall performance approaches what I have with my iOS/m8/tu-05 combo. (but only with Clear Audio+ on).

I have a WM line out cable on the way so I can use the ZX1 as source for the tu-05 and will report back. But in the meantime, with both the 3003 and the th900, the ZX1 does a phenomenal job.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:06 AM Post #1,674 of 7,711
woodcans, when you have time, can you confirm if ZX1 usb audio out is compatible with Centrance M8?

Million thanks

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:14 AM Post #1,675 of 7,711

-Initially I found its sound comparable to the iPhone 5s out, using the akg 3003i. (which is not a bad thing). I went back and forth between both several times and finally decided the Sony won by a small margin.
-having physical buttons for pause, play, volume and ff/r is now essential to me. (the Tera dropped the ball not offering pause, I now use pause all the time).
-whomever designed the accompanying case should probably be fired. No button access?!?

Wow. I usually say 'headstage' when discussing headphones, but with Clear Audio + on, it is that much closer to a speaker experience. There is definitely a volume boost, and I have gone back and forth with CA on/off with volume adjustments. No matter the volume, without Clear Audio+ on, after having listened to it, I can not go back to not using it. Anak & Mim, have you tried it?? I would be very interested in your impressions. The only downside for me so far is a questionable loss of midrange presence, but I need more time to test.

The th900 directly out of the zx1 is more than impressive. It's overall performance approaches what I have with my iOS/m8/tu-05 combo. (but only with Clear Audio+ on).

I have a WM line out cable on the way so I can use the ZX1 as source for the tu-05 and will report back. But in the meantime, with both the 3003 and the th900, the ZX1 does a phenomenal job.

Yes I have briefly. It did have teh "wow" effect on me too initially but later I felt the emphasis felt somewhat "digital-ish" rather than natural so I switched it back off. I think CA+ does seem to recess the mids a little bit which I didn't notice with CA+ off.

I need to pick up the WM lineout cable actually. I gather yours is 3rd party 'cos I don't think Sony makes one? I only have the WM USB/DAC out cable instead.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:23 AM Post #1,677 of 7,711

Yes I have briefly. It did have teh "wow" effect on me too initially but later I felt the emphasis felt somewhat "digital-ish" rather than natural so I switched it back off. I think CA+ does seem to recess the mids a little bit which I didn't notice with CA+ off.

I need to pick up the WM lineout cable actually. I gather yours is 3rd party 'cos I don't think Sony makes one? I only have the WM USB/DAC out cable instead.

I initially thought it sounded "digital-ish", but now having a hard time turning it off. Makes the soundstage wider than my head. Loving it.

Line out.

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:28 AM Post #1,678 of 7,711

Doesn't work into the apple usb (A) in. I don't have the proper cable to plug into the usb B input into the Centrance. I will do some research and report back.

Thanks, man!
If it sounds good straight out of your TH900, this should be the real deal... 

thanks all for the early impressions, have been very helpful...

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:32 AM Post #1,679 of 7,711
I've actually been ignoring my NX1 for the past few days as I've been busy but it's been burning in throughout the whole time. Getting back to it today I'm actually more convinced that Sony does have a winner here. However I think earphone matching may be a key. It's not necessarily suitable for all kinds of earphones - especially naturally bright ones (to my taste at least).

Something like the Ocharaku Kaede's the NX1 may not be so suitable for but for the MH335DW (and presumably TG!334 which mine is off to US for a little demo there) the NX1 seems to really excel.

Thank you Sean for sharing your impression
I can not wait until tonight my daughter coming back from japan
I like bright sq than dark sq dap

Dec 12, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #1,680 of 7,711

Very nice and clear impression to understand

Users who are viewing this thread

Back