Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 11, 2013 at 7:39 AM Post #1,637 of 7,711
  Tried that this morning, and the guy said they "don't do customs" on that line. I might try again later and hope for a more helpful operator. 

ok when you get through chose option 2>then option3>then option 2... don't click option 1 on the last one I put, the Customs people are pretty useless unless you have the code-number they raise when it has cleared Customs, ask for you local depot number and deal with them.

btw... there's a new depot at Crayford so have your tracking-number & they'll tell you which depot it's at.

Dec 11, 2013 at 7:50 AM Post #1,638 of 7,711

Thanks. I was actually writting the review and I heard the person scratching in the basement again...

I listened to the player a bit more and played with it a bit and here a few additional remarks:
  1. Ergonomics and UI are REALLY IMPRESSIVE. With 110 gigs of music on board, all tags and art are recognized perfectly (well after owning DX100, AK100, AK120 and 901, my tags are squeaky clean). The player is super responsive, I can navigate from menu to menu, album to album and song to song instantly. Not a single bug / lag so far, which is very nice coming from "audiophile" DAP
  2. I understand what Anak said concerning soundstage. This is the first things that I noticed: the soundstage is ultra wide and airy. The background is super black with my NT6. Dynamics are excellent, with sharp bass, quick attack and decay. The sound is a bit on the cold side, so with the NT6, don't go expecting warm lush mids...the mids are a bit thin but very clear and transparent.
  3. After just a few tracks, no particular problems with the Spiral Ears SE-5 (135ohms or impedance). The bass and subbass are clean and impactful (James Blake's Limit to your love pounds in your brains like a mad dwards with a hammer). The overal sound is warmer than with the NT6. The SE5 are less sensitive so the volume needs to boosted up a notch. All in all sound really really nice
  4. The player does not seem to be quite tender to badly mastered tracks...anything that sounds harsh will sound worst on this

Needless to say I love this player so far.

Glad that I ordered this a few days back. Seems to be a good overall package to me.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:20 AM Post #1,639 of 7,711

ok when you get through chose option 2>then option3>then option 2... don't click option 1 on the last one I put, the Customs people are pretty useless unless you have the code-number they raise when it has cleared Customs, ask for you local depot number and deal with them.

btw... there's a new depot at Crayford so have your tracking-number & they'll tell you which depot it's at.

It kinda worked, I get a "
The requested service is temporarily unavailable. It is either overloaded or under maintenance. Please try later." ​
rolleyes.gif

Now I'm on "refreshing page" mode.

Dec 11, 2013 at 8:54 AM Post #1,641 of 7,711

When did you order it? I think at this point it's probably relevant info for readers (and those in the queue) to get an idea of when they ordered and when they'll get their products shipped.

I know those who ordered on Sunday have to wait till next batch - was told next month. I'm therefore speculating anyone who ordered from that day onward will be subject to the same delays.

I placed mine Thursday Dec. 5th in the evening. I was prompted by the note on Pricejapan's product page that it would go out of stock very soon. So it was a very spontaneous buy, I had been planning on waiting to order until a good range of impressions were in, but then figured I wouldn't want to risk waiting for it over an extended period. 

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:50 AM Post #1,642 of 7,711

Mostly FLAC Redbook with some Highres.

You yourself should go back to listening to some Reggae, it might reduce the anger causing that aggressive tone.

Anger? 
confused_face(1).gif

No anger at all.

Really.

No anger whatsoever.

I simply said that a battery duration is meaningless unless we know what kind of files are being played back.
popcorn.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,643 of 7,711
Glad that I ordered this a few days back. Seems to be a good overall package to me.

So far it truly is to me. The SQ is clear on the cold side but so spacious and airy. And honestly I had forgotten how it feels to have a player that just....works perfectly.

Anger?  :confused_face(1):

No anger at all.

Really.

No anger whatsoever.

I simply said that a battery duration is meaningless unless we know what kind of files are being played back. :popcorn:

Fine so do not worry, with FLAC we are around 20 hours...quite fair it seems.

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:55 AM Post #1,644 of 7,711

1. I understand what Anak said concerning soundstage. This is the first things that I noticed: the soundstage is ultra wide and airy. The background is super black with my NT6. Dynamics are excellent, with sharp bass, quick attack and decay. The sound is a bit on the cold side, so with the NT6, don't go expecting warm lush mids...the mids are a bit thin but very clear and transparent.
  2. After just a few tracks, no particular problems with the Spiral Ears SE-5 (135ohms or impedance). The bass and subbass are clean and impactful (James Blake's Limit to your love pounds in your brains like a mad dwards with a hammer). The overal sound is warmer than with the NT6. The SE5 are less sensitive so the volume needs to boosted up a notch. All in all sound really really nice

Thankyou, this was the kind of user-feedback I was waiting for.

Regarding the rat, they love peanut butter, so you might try using that as bait (it's a myth that rodents love cheese). The best bait I know of for attracting rodents is actually Snickers chocolate bars, as the combination of caramel, chocolate and peanuts is very appealing to them, plus it's sticky which makes it convenient for baiting the trap with.

Good luck!

Dec 11, 2013 at 9:57 AM Post #1,645 of 7,711
So far it truly is to me. The SQ is clear on the cold side but so spacious and airy. And honestly I had forgotten how it feels to have a player that just....works perfectly.

Yes, that's a very fair battery life.

I am becoming more and more interested in this player, now, since you say it drives SE-5 and NT6 well.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:00 AM Post #1,646 of 7,711

the line-out will be the same, everything the ZX1 can do so can the F886/7... both have same amp.

The ZX1 has a bigger battery and higher spec internals... the headphone-out may shock some as it's as good as line-out into a amp.

Small point, but the ZX1 is spec'ed at higher mw output than the F886/7.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:12 AM Post #1,647 of 7,711
Yes, that's a very fair battery life.

I am becoming more and more interested in this player, now, since you say it drives SE-5 and NT6 well.
Honestly I just had a few hours, and nothing seems amiss. The NT6 combo will not appeal to all as it is on the bright side but nothing wromg technically...the trebble is a bit harsh on certain tracks....but bright signature and bad mastering don't pair well.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:19 AM Post #1,648 of 7,711
Honestly I just had a few hours, and nothing seems amiss. The NT6 combo will not appeal to all as it is on the bright side but nothing wromg technically...the trebble is a bit harsh on certain tracks....but bright signature and bad mastering don't pair well.

Thanks, I'm not actually looking to use NT6 or SE-5 (not a fan of SE-5 and I understand from various PMs that NT6 would be too cold for me), but the point is that these are well-known multi-BA CIEMs, with very different impedance characteristics from each other, so, if the NW-ZX1 can drive both of them properly, on a technical level, then that bodes well for me if I intend (eventually) to get some Roxannes or K10s or JH13 FPs, etc.

I will still be waiting to find out what the measured output impedance of the NW-ZX1 is, but, so far, it seems it may be fairly low. I'm guessing around 2 Ω  -  3 Ω

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:36 AM Post #1,649 of 7,711

F887 had a firmware update this morning and the high's have been tamed so to speak (it was a minor irritant to my ears), this is turning out to be a great lil DAP.

I wouldn't be rushing to put Woody Guthrie on these DAP's, the Z1070 is way a more forgiving with poor recordings.... I might ask Fortis how much he wants for his WM-X or I may just buy another WM-Z.

Dec 11, 2013 at 10:40 AM Post #1,650 of 7,711

How it goes with your 1plus2?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back