Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 11, 2013 at 12:45 AM Post #1,621 of 7,711
Tracking on shipping notice from Pricejapan says I should receive the ZX1 Friday. Probably will take through the night to get it charged up, files transferred, and a bit of familiarity to take place. But am really looking forward to it. 
Right there with ya. I got 2 players lined up to compare to for comparisons, my rockbox iPod 3rd gen, fiio x3. Can't wait to listen to mixtures of jazz and some rock from slash. Friday can't come soon enough.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:02 AM Post #1,622 of 7,711
  Guess what I just received :)

Just a few comments:
  1. I find the design and build abolutely great. Love the metal and leather feel.
  2. The case is quite crappy...not practical at all
  3. Listened to the free tracks for a minute, this player sounds really nice out of the box. Very spacious and airy with my Hidition NT6, with well defined bass. The highs might be just a tad harsh out of the box, but we will see later. Something is sure: I prefer the sig of the Sony over the AK120
  4. I have huge rat in my house and I just can't manage to catch it. It's a pain in the ***

No I am transferring 110g of music and burning in the whole night.

This is one of the funniest reviews I've read of late, it made me laugh.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #1,623 of 7,711

bigsmile_face.gif

Welcome back!

All my DAPs are shaking when they heard that the ZX1 is coming their way (Even the Z1070)
cool.gif

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #1,624 of 7,711
Right there with ya. I got 2 players lined up to compare to for comparisons, my rockbox iPod 3rd gen, fiio x3. Can't wait to listen to mixtures of jazz and some rock from slash. Friday can't come soon enough.

Will be waiting.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:18 AM Post #1,625 of 7,711
  This is one of the funniest reviews I've read of late, it made me laugh.

Thanks. I was actually writting the review and I heard the person scratching in the basement again...

I listened to the player a bit more and played with it a bit and here a few additional remarks:
  1. Ergonomics and UI are REALLY IMPRESSIVE. With 110 gigs of music on board, all tags and art are recognized perfectly (well after owning DX100, AK100, AK120 and 901, my tags are squeaky clean). The player is super responsive, I can navigate from menu to menu, album to album and song to song instantly. Not a single bug / lag so far, which is very nice coming from "audiophile" DAP
  2. I understand what Anak said concerning soundstage. This is the first things that I noticed: the soundstage is ultra wide and airy. The background is super black with my NT6. Dynamics are excellent, with sharp bass, quick attack and decay. The sound is a bit on the cold side, so with the NT6, don't go expecting warm lush mids...the mids are a bit thin but very clear and transparent.
  3. After just a few tracks, no particular problems with the Spiral Ears SE-5 (135ohms or impedance). The bass and subbass are clean and impactful (James Blake's Limit to your love pounds in your brains like a mad dwards with a hammer). The overal sound is warmer than with the NT6. The SE5 are less sensitive so the volume needs to boosted up a notch. All in all sound really really nice
  4. The player does not seem to be quite tender to badly mastered tracks...anything that sounds harsh will sound worst on this

Needless to say I love this player so far.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:46 AM Post #1,626 of 7,711
  Welcome back!

All my DAPs are shaking when they heard that the ZX1 is coming their way (Even the Z1070)
cool.gif

cheers Turok appreciated... Currawong & Duncan have really helped me.
beerchug.gif

My ZX1 is going to Fortis house first the he's sending it to me, I sneaked that WM/USB into our order on Sat so he best send that to me as well or there could be serious trouble when our footie teams meet.
tongue_smile.gif

You may want to check for a firmware update when you get your ZX1 as one has just come through for the F886/7 (2min download)... for people new to Walkman's this is best done through Media-Go.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #1,627 of 7,711

cheers Turok appreciated... Currawong & Duncan have really helped me.
beerchug.gif

My ZX1 is going to Fortis house first the he's sending it to me, I sneaked that WM/USB into our order on Sat so he best send that to me as well or there could be serious trouble when our footie teams meet.
tongue_smile.gif

You may want to check for a firmware update when you get your ZX1 as one has just come through for the F886/7... for people new to Walkjman's this is best done through Media-Go.

Thanks for the headsup, and yes its also faster done thru Media-Go.

Dec 11, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #1,628 of 7,711

Thanks for the headsup, and yes its also faster done thru Media-Go.

It's a godsend for sure especially if you have a Japanese market-only Walkman... if you update manually you'll have to update from the region your Walkman originated from, think you can update it from the device itself but I'll let Turok or Purk confirm that.

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:22 AM Post #1,629 of 7,711
So given the specs the main improvement of ZX1 over the F88x series should be a better amp and double the storge.
since the other components seem to be the same, is it safe to say these two machines would have the same lineout quality?

Dec 11, 2013 at 2:31 AM Post #1,630 of 7,711
  So given the specs the main improvement of ZX1 over the F88x series should be a better amp and double the storge.
since the other components seem to be the same, is it safe to say these two machines would have the same lineout quality?

the line-out will be the same, everything the ZX1 can do so can the F886/7... both have same amp.

The ZX1 has a bigger battery and higher spec internals... the headphone-out may shock some as it's as good as line-out into a amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back