Sony NWZ-ZX1 - 35th Walkman Anniversary model
Dec 10, 2013 at 11:32 AM Post #1,591 of 7,711
  Also, i know it is important for all of us to know if the Sony's as good, better than AK's. but ultimately, it is personal,
i would sacrifice one think for another if it suits my needs more,
Say, my AK 100 is smaller than the ZX1 which i prefer, but then every time i wanna put a new album on it it has to scan the library which takes forever plus the data integration is appalling.
With Android i wont have this problem, but then i don't really want to carry an Iphone and ZX1( another phone) around.
So many things to consider...and i just end up spending so much haha..

I thought the same thing about the device being another android device hanging around. But I see it as a plus that at least its a more opened os versus using proprietary os. Especially when you consider not many people or users like the uis or os on the dx50, the x3, or even the aks. Gives you much more freedom and usability, to do whatever with the device. Its like icing on the cake, I think Sony knocked it out of the park with this device.

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #1,594 of 7,711
  Also, i know it is important for all of us to know if the Sony's as good, better than AK's. but ultimately, it is personal,

Some of the best advice I received was from Currawong, it's the sum if the parts that go to make a good rig it's not always the best gear that wins out, it is what suits your ears & how you want to hear your music that matters.

Here's a good example... my new Sony F887 is a superb bit of kit (I don't expect any major improvements with the ZX1), it has better definition in the highs and a equal depth but punchier bass compared to my old Z1070 so why do I miss my WM-Z so much... here's the rub, the Z1070 was superb with soul music from the 60/70/80's you do not need overtly detailed players for this music genre as it will take away the silky warmth of the recordings from that period (owners of the WM-F/Z & WM-X will know what I'm on about). The Z1070 was not as rich sounding as the famed WM-X but it had a lot more detail whilst retaining some of its warmth... pairing the F887 with the PHA-2 via h/o brings a certain amount of warmth back to the proceedings but it's not Z1070 warm, my personal dream team for old soul music Z1070/FiiO E12 it's the dogs-bollox to these ears.

Many of us Sony owners have known how good these new Walkman's have been for a year or so now, many of us have compared them to the best and come to similar conclusions in red-book lossless formats the Sony's are equal to the best so it really doesn't shock me that they're equally good as Hi-Res/DSD players.... same old, same old as they say over here.

Welcome to the best kept secret on Head-Fi it's just a bit embarrassing you all took so long to join the party...
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:25 PM Post #1,595 of 7,711
Well I have a 12 hour flight tomorrow so I should be able to do some listening....I transfered 110g and updated the database easily and left the player to play all night. Im will check tags and SQ in the morning.

This must seem like a dream to you... no firmware updates, no endless re-tagging and you managed a chunk of burn-in, boy are you going to have a stress free flight...
bigsmile_face.gif

Edit... my ZX1 is in Paris, bloody thing has gone on a site-seeing tour Tokyo, Shanghai, Delhi...

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:42 PM Post #1,596 of 7,711
Enjoy the ZX1 guys.  I'll probably order one after the new years.  Man...I wish I bought this on the first day, instead, I bought the Koss ESP-950 system instead for $600.  Turok...please have fun with yours.  
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 12:47 PM Post #1,597 of 7,711

Where did you see/hear that the X5 has rolled-off treble?

Someone with a pre-production X5 on a Chinese forum?

oh must been the X3, so getting X5 alone is better than getting DX50 + pico slim amp? or? going to pair UM Miracle with it.

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:12 PM Post #1,599 of 7,711
  oh must been the X3, so getting X5 alone is better than getting DX50 + pico slim amp? or? going to pair UM Miracle with it.

UM Miracle is a great CIEM. I had a pair and I wish I had not had to sell them.

I know from experience that the bass and the treble of the Miracle suffers if the output impedance of the DAP is too high, so I do not know how the NW-ZX1 will drive the Miracle, until someone measures the NW-ZX1 output impedance.

Fiio make sure their DAPs & amps have low output impedance.

Not sure what the DX50 output impedance is, but I had the DX100 and it did a beautiful job of driving the UM Miracle.

I have been told that the Pico Slim does not have a very large soundstage. The UM Miracle does have quite a large soundstage, so if you like this aspect of their presentation, the Pico Slim might not be the best choice for you (but please ask someone who has heard the UM Miracle with the Pico Slim, as I do not know for certain).

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:40 PM Post #1,600 of 7,711
Guess what I just received :)

Just a few comments:
  • I find the design and build abolutely great. Love the metal and leather feel.
  • The case is quite crappy...not practical at all
  • Listened to the free tracks for a minute, this player sounds really nice out of the box. Very spacious and airy with my Hidition NT6, with well defined bass. The highs might be just a tad harsh out of the box, but we will see later. Something is sure: I prefer the sig of the Sony over the AK120
  • I have huge rat in my house and I just can't manage to catch it. It's a pain in the ***

No I am transferring 110g of music and burning in the whole night.

Congrats Michael
You can bring your new Sony MW ZX1 for your Christmas holiday to Europe
Santa Claus is coming hahaha

Dec 10, 2013 at 1:47 PM Post #1,602 of 7,711

Some of the best advice I received was from Currawong, it's the sum if the parts that go to make a good rig it's not always the best gear that wins out, it is what suits your ears & how you want to hear your music that matters.

Here's a good example... my new Sony F887 is a superb bit of kit (I don't expect any major improvements with the ZX1), it has better definition in the highs and a equal depth but punchier bass compared to my old Z1070 so why do I miss my WM-Z so much... here's the rub, the Z1070 was superb with soul music from the 60/70/80's you do not need overtly detailed players for this music genre as it will take away the silky warmth of the recordings from that period (owners of the WM-F/Z & WM-X will know what I'm on about). The Z1070 was not as rich sounding as the famed WM-X but it had a lot more detail whilst retaining some of its warmth... pairing the F887 with the PHA-2 via h/o brings a certain amount of warmth back to the proceedings but it's not Z1070 warm, my personal dream team for old soul music Z1070/FiiO E12 it's the dogs-bollox to these ears.

Many of us Sony owners have known how good these new Walkman's have been for a year or so now, many of us have compared them to the best and come to similar conclusions in red-book lossless formats the Sony's are equal to the best so it really doesn't shock me that they're equally good as Hi-Res/DSD players.... same old, same old as they say over here.

Welcome to the best kept secret on Head-Fi it's just a bit embarrassing you all took so long to join the party...
beerchug.gif

Thanks for you post Noble-Geezer, i have always been a fan a Sony's players, back to the Portable CD's, had several of their later MP3 players too, just gave up after they seem to prove with each single one that they don't get it and have let us down..
Until now that is.. SOO excited!!!
beerchug.gif

Dec 10, 2013 at 2:21 PM Post #1,603 of 7,711
If this player is close to the AK120 then things sounds promising so far. I'm a bit hesitant still to spend so much on a dap but if it sounds good with good UI and battery then this could very well be my next player. 

Dec 10, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #1,605 of 7,711
  Enjoy the ZX1 guys.  I'll probably order one after the new years.  Man...I wish I bought this on the first day, instead, I bought the Koss ESP-950 system instead for [size=inherit]KWD 169.66 ($600.).[/size]  Turok...please have fun with yours.  
beerchug.gif

I will , thanks buddy.

Quite a system you got there! Congrats.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back