SONY NWZ-A10 Series
Feb 13, 2015 at 9:53 AM Post #2,732 of 7,541
Just joined the club.

Got an A15 yesterday. Impressed so far, having had an A818 until recently  In comparison, & from memory, this is more accurate and precise sounding rather than warm. Terrific detail and separation.

I've already downloaded a couple of Hi-Res albums from Qobuz with the £25 voucher included with the Walkman Not sure what to make of the current obsession with HD but they certainly sound nice. 

I have a Fiio L5 coming tomorrow, along with the silicon cover, so will be able to try with my bigger phones. Will be using with my trusty Graham Slee Voyager which will make an odd looking pairing: the sleek Sony and a functional but ugly black brick !

Seems to work best w/o amp with easier to drive phones like my EB50 iems and Form2 headphones. Very, very nice with both in fact

Early days but this might finally be a long term replacement for one of my 2 iPod Classics (fetching big money at the moment so even my 5 year old one may cover most of the new Sony's cost). Once the price of 128gb mSD cards comes down this will rival their capacity, sound better and have their line out ability. 

Not sure about some of the sound effects. Clear Audio+ is a bit weird. Very wide soundstage but with alot of of the instruments pushed to the sides leaving less in the middle. Vocals more recessed, may be better for classical ?

Any way great to have a large capacity Walkman at last. 

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #2,737 of 7,541

Mine just goes to the next album.  What firmware are you on? I'm stock 1.0

Go to 'Settings > Music Settings > Playback Range', and change to 'Selected Range'.

Feb 13, 2015 at 10:59 AM Post #2,738 of 7,541

Mine just goes to the next album.  What firmware are you on? I'm stock 1.0

To get a Walkman to play just one album you need to change the 'Playback Range' in the options menu to 'Selected Range' from 'All Range'

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:09 AM Post #2,740 of 7,541
I tend to listen to whole albums at a time. When it finishes an album it goes back to the first track and starts all over again. I for one would prefer it stops.

me too i listen to complete albums from start to finish no shuffle (critical for classical music) and yes my walkman also goes fron one album to the next automatically, love that, contrast with fiio x3 which stops at the end of the album (not nice if you sue it for driving to work)

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:19 AM Post #2,741 of 7,541
No problem
That's the beauty of these Sonys the UI stays pretty much the same so coming from a 7 year old model is like meeting an old friend

Having said that my A818 had an even more attractive interface with the ability to scroll down to the artist, album, genre or year directly from the now playing screen. This ment you could switch to a related album almost instantly.
This feature disappeared with the X series I believe.

Still after trying the terribly designed Fiio X3 (returned within 2 days) the A15 is a joy to use.

I was also disappointed with the X3s sound the only outstanding feature I remember was that it was loud and powerful no real finesse.

Feb 13, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #2,742 of 7,541

me too i listen to complete albums from start to finish no shuffle (critical for classical music) and yes my walkman also goes fron one album to the next automatically, love that, contrast with fiio x3 which stops at the end of the album (not nice if you sue it for driving to work)

That's probably good for classical as all of it pretty much sounds the same, you probably never even know you have gone to the next album! Haha!

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:05 PM Post #2,743 of 7,541
  @spatzi did you got superb battery life with the Line-out ? you had said that 20h and was still full battery icon now i wonder
eek.gif
 if it would last 40+ hours

I actually got over 50hr playback with line-out, tho I hardly used the screen and the unit was like 3rd charge in.
How do I know? Played all tracks and calculated the air time.
If my calculations are correct I got 51:45:00.

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:50 PM Post #2,744 of 7,541
I actually got over 50hr playback with line-out, tho I hardly used the screen and the unit was like 3rd charge in.
How do I know? Played all tracks and calculated the air time.
If my calculations are correct I got 51:45:00.

Thanks for the info mate, great, now i need to get an amp, not sure if topping or the soon-to-be released Oppo HA-2
biggrin.gif

Even from the HO, battery life is great if you try to compare it with a fiio DAP
darthsmile.gif
, lasts 4 times more on the A17

Feb 13, 2015 at 12:52 PM Post #2,745 of 7,541

That's probably good for classical as all of it pretty much sounds the same, you probably never even know you have gone to the next album! Haha!

Not true, haha what if i am playing a two Cd set of symphonies and then there comes some choral music f.e Tallis Spem in alium and then some Harpsichord stuff.

I tried Tallis spem in alium (linn records) in 24/96 downloade p2p and IMO sounded OK, but not as detailed as yikes! the 10-CD set of tallis work (16/44), in the CD version of this work i could hear a deep bass singer whoa! and more 3D'sh stage

for me today's music sound the same LOL  if you say so classicalssounds the same

Users who are viewing this thread

Back