Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 8, 2017 at 6:19 PM Post #556 of 16,040
@phoenixdogfan
I don't believe the computiing power of a PC is a bottleneck.
Maybe users find a dedicated box more convenient. Some users buy minidsp processors to run Dirac filters.
Professor Edgar Choueiri opted for a dedicated box to run his Bacch filter at a considerable higher price.
New entrants may prove that a software based solution has lower cost, sells more and thus grants more profits.
As you said, we'll have to wait them to catch-up.
Cheers.

Feb 9, 2017 at 4:51 AM Post #557 of 16,040
OOYH applies room simulation. the realiser does personal measurement as much as it does room measurement. ideally to get the best of the realiser I need to go to the studios and concert venues myself to do the measurements
confused_face.gif
. OOYH offers a multichannel simulation of rooms where I won't go.
the real ideal solution would be to join both. sure I can use the measurements someone else did at a place with a Realiser and hope it will be close enough for me, but it's not ideal.
ultimately I imagine we'll all get 3D scanned to create a HRTF model that would be used as reference for the software on all devices so that we'd be able to simulate anything for our ears, like all the places around the world recorded the way OOYH does it. then some albums would be recorded a given way and we'd buy it with the metadata containing the studio information or some other room. unlimited fun.

right now the Realiser is AFAIK the most complete and custom solution. but I hope it won't stop there in my lifetime.

I see OOYH as a component in a playback chain, just like my EQ(or sonawork), or head tracking, or crossfeed when I have nothing better, or even my DAC. it's a tool for a specific job and the result can become better with other tools added in conjunction. of course adding custom HRTF in the chain is a huge benefit for anybody who doesn't have average head and ears like Kang, Kodos, or myself(I have 2 eyes). average compensations of anything tends to fail miserably for me, when I meet people telling me that they prefer headphones to speakers even without any crossfeed or whatever, it blows my mind. but anytime I add a little component in the playback chain that works for me, the result improves significantly, and I can't wait to start fooling around with the realiser and ask all of you for the size of your skull before stealing your measurements
evil_smiley.gif

Feb 9, 2017 at 5:19 AM Post #558 of 16,040
Regardless of the choice for DSP's in a box instead of a cpu from a pc, I believe Smyth Research brir exchange business model allows studios to invest in rooms to be measured by A16 users and I would like to have as many as possible available to purchase in their exchange site.

There is no guarantee that software developers with generic binaural room impulse responses would pay royalties to the owners of the location of the presets offered.

To purchase and have them personalized at the Smyth Research Exchange site.

OOYH offers a multichannel simulation of rooms where I won't go.
the real ideal solution would be to join both. sure I can use the measurements someone else did at a place with a Realiser and hope it will be close enough for me, but it's not ideal.

(...) like all the places around the world recorded the way OOYH does it. then some albums would be recorded a given way and we'd buy it with the metadata containing the studio information or some other room.

(...) and I can't wait to start fooling around with the realiser and ask all of you for the size of your skull before stealing your measurements :evil: .

Sure one can donate the measurement made in his/her room for others to personalize.

But I am also glad that studios can sell their brir's with copyright to encourage investments in acoustics and equipment.

http://www.smyth-research.com/vaxchange.html

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:34 AM Post #559 of 16,040
So I am brand new to this thread.  And very interested in this unit.

For me, 100% surround movie watching use..  
Streaming movies from DirectTV or my Samsung BD-F7500 4K Upscaling Blu-ray Disc Player (2014 Model) Has dual HDMI output, 1 for video and 1 for audio. Tons of BluRay movies.
Tube amp (Musical Fidelity XCAN v2).
AKG K712 headphones.
TV is Panasonic 65" VT60. 
Marantz 7702 preamp / processor, 3 Sunfire Amps (for when Im not using this unit)
TV is mounted above the fireplace (4.5 feet to bottom of TV, 13 feet from TV to primary listening position... I know..not ideal..this is a living room home theater.)
Im running a 10 foot headphone extension from the cabinet to primary sitting position. So Im thinking to have this unit in my stereo cabinet.

Is the price $1695 right now thru kick starter. Does that include headphones?  Does that include the headphone tracker?  How much are those extra (Im confused on how the pricing is setup)
From a practical perspective, how are you connecting the DirectTV and BluRay units?  Are you using an HDMI splitter.  My thought here is optical from DirectTV because its only DD being output and uisng the audio HDMI out (Sub) to this unit and Main HDMI out to TV.
How do you get on screen overlays?  Or are you just doing all adjustments thru PC interface?
Would I benefit with the Stax headphones they offer? (vs the AKG K712)
Would I benefit from the head tracking option based on my configuration? (With my 65" TV, how much head movement will I really have?)

Im probably never going to be able to go somewhere to get my own PRIR at a theater so using the stock or website downloaded PRIRs

Feb 14, 2017 at 10:50 AM Post #560 of 16,040
Does Smyth provide a list  of "partners", who will allow visitors to their location to take PRIRs?

Feb 14, 2017 at 11:51 AM Post #561 of 16,040
  Is the price $1695 right now thru kick starter. Does that include headphones?  Does that include the headphone tracker?  How much are those extra (Im confused on how the pricing is setup)
From a practical perspective, how are you connecting the DirectTV and BluRay units?  Are you using an HDMI splitter.  My thought here is optical from DirectTV because its only DD being output and uisng the audio HDMI out (Sub) to this unit and Main HDMI out to TV.
How do you get on screen overlays?  Or are you just doing all adjustments thru PC interface?
Would I benefit with the Stax headphones they offer? (vs the AKG K712)
Would I benefit from the head tracking option based on my configuration? (With my 65" TV, how much head movement will I really have?)

Im probably never going to be able to go somewhere to get my own PRIR at a theater so using the stock or website downloaded PRIRs

The Kickstarter is over, you will need to order direct from Smyth. The price does not include a headphone: indeed, Smyth don't sell one. iirc the price does include one head tracker: check the price with Smyth for an additional one but expect something in the region of $70.

Connection options are flexible. Personally I'll take a connection directly from the source and switch it over as needed (there are plenty of inputs).

The unit has its own display: I'm expecting to do most things in that, but I don't know what other options will be there: presumably there will be some sort of PC app if only for downloading from the exchange.

Smyth has said that the unit will work without the tracker but since you get one see how you feel once you receive it.

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:50 AM Post #562 of 16,040
I plan on getting the 2U version and having it in the stereo cabinet.  My understanding is the head tracking will be wired back to that unit.  How long will that cord be?  Im about 20 feet away

Feb 15, 2017 at 5:45 PM Post #563 of 16,040
Does Smyth provide a list  of "partners", who will allow visitors to their location to take PRIRs?

That depends on how the exchange market for PRIR will evolve.

Q7: Where do I get a 7.1.4ch loudspeaker measurement for listening to Dolby Atmos?

A7: There are a number of routes. 1) Use a factory default shipped with the A16. 2) Download one from the free library in Realiser Exchange. 3) Personalise one in Realiser Exchange and download to your Realiser. 4) Undertake a single (or stereo) speaker measurement in your own home. 5) Undertake a multi-speaker measurement in your own home. 6) Find a local studio in the Realiser Exchange Directory to undertake the measurement. For more details see our “Realiser Exchange - a new Virtual Audio Exchange website” document.

http://smyth-research.com/A16Q&A.html

In other words, how much profit the owner of a recording/mixing studio can earn by allowing good faith A16 users (i.e. those that will not violate the copyright) to undertake measurements in such dedicated room instead of renting it to other purposes (such as musicians trying to mix their recordings).

If there is no user demand or the copyright is violated by them, the market will not evolve and you will not find any studio in the Realiser Exchange Directory to undertake the measurement.

Feb 15, 2017 at 6:59 PM Post #564 of 16,040
Hey guys - bit of a basic question, but:

Does anyone know if the tracker sensor needs to be at the "center front" position of the room or are we able to recenter the virtual surround regardless of where the tracker is located?

My AV and audio equipment is all buried at the rear corner of a fairly large room and was wondering (hoping to confirm) that it's possible to have the noise "coming from" the screen, regardless of where the tracker is.

i.e. - tracker in a discrete location off to the side, somewhere totally unrelated to the sound field being produced. The pics/vids I've seen all seem to have the tracker receiver smack bang dead front and centre of the sound being listened to.

Hope the question makes sense.

Feb 15, 2017 at 9:45 PM Post #565 of 16,040
I plan on getting the 2U version and having it in the stereo cabinet.  My understanding is the head tracking will be wired back to that unit.  How long will that cord be?  Im about 20 feet away

Stephen Smyth Collaborator on August 2
@Steef de Bruijn - Yes the head tracker cable can be extended as required. The cable itself is a 2.5mm 4-way jack to 2.5mm 4-way jack so it's a matter of finding a suitable male-to-female extension. What length did you have in mind?

Steef de Bruijn Superbacker on August 2
Hi Stephen
Thanks for the detailed reply.
Regarding the head tracker: have you thought of / is it possible to use any kind of extension cord?
Steef.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1959366850/realiser-a16-real-3d-audio-headphone-processor/comments

-----

Mounting the Head Tracker to the Headphone

The SVS head tracker unit is connected to the listeners headphone via a universal bracket that is itself strapped around the head band using a custom designed rubber strap. The rubber strap is supplied in three different lengths to accommodate different headphone designs. 
A light weight head tracker cable will be supplied with the A16 system. Typically the user will run this wire alongside the headphone signal cable using retainer clips supplied with the cable. We plan to manufacture the head tracker cable in various lengths to accommodate different headphones.  Supporters will be able to choose the length following completion of the campaign.
http://smyth-research.com/downloads/additional_KS_info.pdf

Hey guys - bit of a basic question, but:

Does anyone know if the tracker sensor needs to be at the "center front" position of the room or are we able to recenter the virtual surround regardless of where the tracker is located?

My AV and audio equipment is all buried at the rear corner of a fairly large room and was wondering (hoping to confirm) that it's possible to have the noise "coming from" the screen, regardless of where the tracker is.

i.e. - tracker in a discrete location off to the side, somewhere totally unrelated to the sound field being produced. The pics/vids I've seen all seem to have the tracker receiver smack bang dead front and centre of the sound being listened to.

Hope the question makes sense.

I guess someone has already asked that. Try here: https://soundcloud.com/hcfr-podcast/hcfr-le-podcast-tech-v32-entretien-avec-stephen-smyth

Feb 15, 2017 at 10:05 PM Post #566 of 16,040
raband

Smyth Research Creator on August 1
@ Reiner - also the set-top is wired - so it runs back to the Realiser also. However you may not need the set-top if the IMU + magnetic stabilisation is sufficient. The set-top is used to provide optical stabilisation - and to provide feedback on head orientation in all head-tracking modes.

Smyth Research Creator on August 1
@Reiner, the head-tracker is wired, so the cable runs parallel to your headphone cable. We're going to make a few different lengths, and you'll be able to select which length works best for you after the campaign is over.

Reiner on August 1
Hi, I just backed for my A16.
A short question regarding the SVS Head Tracking Unit and the SVS Set Top Unit. Are they run cables back to the A16 or is this done wireless. If via cable, how long are the cables?
Best, Reiner
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1959366850/realiser-a16-real-3d-audio-headphone-processor/comments

According to A8 manual, you need to "place the set-top in a location which will be directly in front of the listener, at 0° azimuth. In many cases this will mean above or below a video screen".

Feb 16, 2017 at 9:51 AM Post #568 of 16,040
Hey guys,
I'm considering to buy an Nvidia Shield to store and play my ripped blu-rays. I'm assuming that since the A16 only has HDMI 2.0, it won't be able to passthrough HDR. Would a HDFury Integral (https://www.hdfury.com/shop/splitters/integral-4k60-444-600mhz/) allow me to extract the audio from the Shield and play the audio through the A16 whilst allowing me to watch HDR content on a HDR capable TV?

Feb 16, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #569 of 16,040
@raband
According to A8 manual, you need to "place the set-top in a location which will be directly in front of the listener, at 0° azimuth. In many cases this will mean above or below a video screen".

thats not correct. i am using the a8 with the scanner set straight behind my listening position and the unit mounted to the headphone facing backwards. works like a cham, but i dont know about the new one.

Feb 16, 2017 at 2:12 PM Post #570 of 16,040
they mention 3 tracking methods, I'm guessing only the optical one requires the tracker and the realiser more or less aligned(front or back). but I'm also guessing the redundant methods exist in part so that if needed people can put the realiser aside and just rely on gyroscope or magneto something something.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back