Smyth Research Realiser A16
Feb 16, 2017 at 4:50 PM Post #571 of 16,040
Based on what I read the new one has inertial 9 axis tracking which I believe is the state of the art.  This method would not require a cord but would require you to initialize your position when you first put it on for each use.But you will be able to also use the old optical system, if that's your preference.

Feb 18, 2017 at 2:55 PM Post #572 of 16,040
Im not exactly knowing how to word this... But does VUDU or any of the other streaming services have Atmos material?
I just ordered the A16.  If VUDU does offer Atmos audio on select movies, can I send the bitstream from the Samsung BD-F7000 to the A16 and can I select the A16 to output 1080P instead of 4K to my TV?.

My understanding and I may be wrong: How some of these streaming services work, is that whatever source unit you are using (like my BD-F7500 reads the EDID of the target device (A16 or TV) to determine whether or not to send a 4K version of the movie or a 1080p version.  It tells VUDU or Netflix which version to send

Panasonic 65" VT60 (not 4K) and Samsung BD-F7500 bluray with streaming.

What I want to do is hear the streamed Atmos soundtrack thru the A16 and the movie in 1080P out to the TV.  If needed, I can buy a different unit besides the BD-7500, like a Roku 4?.  But I cant buy a new TV (no budget)

Also, how much different is a compressed streamed version of Atmos going to sound vs. an A16 upmixed version of a streamed soundtrack (I thought I saw the A16 will upmix to Atmos)

Feb 18, 2017 at 8:55 PM Post #573 of 16,040
Hate to disappoint you, but Netflix barely does 5.1, let alone Atmos.  As I understand it Netflix streams on the Windows desktop app as Dolby Digital plus 5.1 only.  No Dolby True HD, or any other lossless format.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:01 AM Post #574 of 16,040
Yes Vudu does Atmos via DD+ on selected titles.

Feb 19, 2017 at 1:27 PM Post #575 of 16,040
Will the A16 allow you to change the video output to 1080p if you want? So I can use an Atmos audio track and 1080p output to TV? or is it just passing thru the video?

Here is what I am asking.. can the A16 tell Vudu (via Samsung BD-F7500 thru I think its EDID) that you are using a UHD TV even though I am using a Panasonic plasma in order to get the UHD selection of movie..have the movie stream to the A16.. the A16 use the UHD (Atmos) audio track and then have the A16 take the UHD video and output 1080p to my Plasma 1080p TV?

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:06 PM Post #576 of 16,040
Will the A16 allow you to change the video output to 1080p if you want? So I can use an Atmos audio track and 1080p output to TV? or is it just passing thru the video?

Here is what I am asking.. can the A16 tell Vudu (via Samsung BD-F7500 thru I think its EDID) that you are using a UHD TV even though I am using a Panasonic plasma in order to get the UHD selection of movie..have the movie stream to the A16.. the A16 use the UHD (Atmos) audio track and then have the A16 take the UHD video and output 1080p to my Plasma 1080p TV?

Not sure of that, I doubt that the A16 has any kind of video processing/scaling ability. It will decode the Atmos metadata, but would most likely pass the video untouched.

Feb 19, 2017 at 4:16 PM Post #577 of 16,040
Also, how much different is a compressed streamed version of Atmos going to sound vs. an A16 upmixed version of a streamed soundtrack (I thought I saw the A16 will upmix to Atmos)

The A 16 has a proprietary "upmixer" algorithm forgot what it is called not the Dolby version that is common on A/V products might be present on the A16 as well. It's safe to say at this point no one made such comparison other that the MFR themselves.

Feb 19, 2017 at 6:49 PM Post #578 of 16,040

I would speculate that there is no video processing capability in the A16, same as there was not in the A8.  It's an audio processor.  Video is simply passed-through from HDMI-input to HDMI-output.  This also allows Smyth to avoid dealing with compatibility issues between video components, AVR's, etc. so that if you have problems then it's up to you to deal with it.

I had a compatibility problem with my HDMI-enabled A8 several years ago when I first bought it, trying to use its HDMI-output to pass on video from my Oppop BDP-103 source to my Yamaha RX-V867 AVR, which had been fed to the A8 from HDMI1-output of the Oppo.  Just didn't work right, and I was not getting multi-channel audio delivered from Oppo to the A8 but rather only 2-channel stereo.  HDMI handshakes involve all the devices in the chain, which is often frought with surprises.

My solution was (as it will be with my upcoming A16) to use the Oppo in "A/V split mode" and then feed HDMI1-out (video-only) of the Oppo to feed the AVR for pass-through to my Panny 65VT50, and to use HDMI2-out (audio-only) of the Oppo fo feed the A8.

My A16 setup will include an Oppo UDP-203 (same dual HDMI outputs and "split A/V mode" capability as with the BDP-103).  Once again, HDMI2-out of the 203 will feed audio-only to the A16.

And once again, HDMI1-out of the 203 will feed video-only to the new AVR, which is a relatively modest 4K-capable Yamaha RX-A860.  To deal with potential video problems since I don't have a true HDCP2.2 display with HDMI 2.0a/b connectivity but I might still want to at least view new UHD content (admittedly not in true holy grail 4K60 4:4:4 600MHz), I've also purchased an HDFury Integral to accomplish the appropriate down-conversions required down at the end of the video chain, hiding the 4K format limitations of my 31" Eizo CG318-4K monitor to the A860 and upstream UDP-203 source.

It seemed that the $250 price of the HDFury Integral was a fair price to pay for its needed "HDCP doctor" functionality, until such time in the future as I might actually acquire a true "holy grail" UHD display capable of genuinely receiving and displaying the latest UHD/HDR video content.  But this whole subject is in the video world for me, not the audio world and my expectations out of the A16.  I'm more concerned at the moment about finding some place here in LA to go get an Atmos measurement and PRIR created, in order to make use of this new audio capability via Realiser.

I don't expect the A16 to address any 4K-related video issues (or any other video compatibility issues for that matter), which is exactly what the HDFury Integral is designed to resolve.  The A16 can only be expected to pass-through what video it does receive, be that good or not good news.

Feb 19, 2017 at 8:37 PM Post #579 of 16,040
If I am using for movies only... I currently have the AKG 712 and Musical Fidelity XCan v2.  Which amp and headphones would you suggest?
I saw the Stax 3100 with amp.  What about the HD800, HE-5, or ????  Im thinking around $800 to maybe $1800 ish range for headphones and amp?
Or is the A16 going to make such a difference that it really doesnt matter much?

What I dont like about my combo right now is it sounds a little harsh on movies and doesnt carry a lot of bass....But this is using as a source a cheap surround processor.  Again, this is for movies only.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:37 AM Post #580 of 16,040

You manage AV output on the player.

You don't need UHD disc/player for Atmos bitstream output.

Feb 20, 2017 at 4:52 AM Post #581 of 16,040
If I am using for movies only... I currently have the AKG 712 and Musical Fidelity XCan v2.  Which amp and headphones would you suggest?

I saw the Stax 3100 with amp.  What about the HD800, HE-5, or ????  Im thinking around $800 to maybe $1800 ish range for headphones and amp?

Or is the A16 going to make such a difference that it really doesnt matter much?

What I dont like about my combo right now is it sounds a little harsh on movies and doesnt carry a lot of bass....But this is using as a source a cheap surround processor.  Again, this is for movies only.

Stephen Smyth advises to use the internal DAC and amp first. Later, when you are familiar with them, you can experiment with external solutions.

Feb 20, 2017 at 10:09 AM Post #582 of 16,040
Im not sure what you mean "you manage output on the player" and 
You don't need UHD disc/player for Atmos bitstream output.

I never buy discs.  I always stream movies.  I believe VUDU and the rest of the services need to "see" the EDID for a 4K device in order to turn on the UHD option in the selection menu for a movie.

You have for example (upstream to downstream):

VUDU Service --->
Samsung BD-F7500  (with dual output 1) Video and Audio 2) Audio only (choices are PCM, Bitsrtream Unprocessed, Bitstream Reencode for DTS and Bitstream reencode for DD).  The Setting for UHD is either Auto or Off.  --->
Smyth A16 ----->
Marantz AV7702 ---->
Panasonic TC-P65VT60 (1080p)

When I pull up Vudu thru the Samsung F7500, it does not show the UHD version of the movie.  On my PC it does show, probably because I have a laptop with a 4K screen.  So Im wondering if the 
HD Fury - HD Fury 4k Integral - 6934917036354 that dsperber is quoting above does this.... manipulates the EDID to trick VUDU into thinking he has a 4k device downstream

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:19 AM Post #583 of 16,040
Are there any headphones in the $800-1600 range that produce bass similar to a subwoofer?  The whole purpose of me buying this is to get the full surround experience without waking my wife in the morning rumbling the walls!

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:33 AM Post #584 of 16,040
  Are there any headphones in the $800-1600 range that produce bass similar to a subwoofer?  The whole purpose of me buying this is to get the full surround experience without waking my wife in the morning rumbling the walls!

You'll want closed in order not to wake your wife. Closed might give you some more bass impact as well.
I'll be using my Sony MDR-Z1R with the Realiser but I'll giove my LA-900 a try as well.
Both have a nice wide soundstage for closed phones as well. Both are bass monsters.
I'll be trying myPioneer SE-Master 1 as well as that will give me even wider soundstage with plenty of bass (although a bit less than the other two).
A HD800 will give you the widest soundstage but you can forget about the bass. I know Smyth recommends them but in the few emails we exchanged I got the impression they are only selecting phones based on two things: soundsatge and long period wearing comfort. I need bass for games and movies as well and I don't find the huge cups of the HD800 comfortable which is one of the main reasons I sold them.
The other three are very comfortable to me though I must say the LA-900 is heavy but I like that. The other two are lightweight and not overly clamping but still enough not to move on your head.
Don't bother with the Elear as it's not as good as the Utopia and both have a lesser soundstage than the Pioneer. I compared all three for two days in a row. The Utopia is THE most comfortable headphone I have ever had on my head though, it's like it was melted around it.

Feb 20, 2017 at 11:41 AM Post #585 of 16,040

the frequency will still go only in your ears and maybe shake the pads a little. the impression we get from a sub is a good deal due to our entire body being shaken by the low frequencies. that doesn't exist with headphones of course.
there are some stuff you put on a chair that vibrate, no I swear not those things. another kind
tongue.gif
.  they basically shake the chair following more or less the woofer channel. it can improve the feeling or real life rumble with some tactile feeling we want so much. most research on the matter suggests an improvements with something really vibrating physically(even at a wrong frequency or rhythm somehow). but as any subjective trickery some really dislike it and while it's not the noise of a woofer, it's not silent if you go for some big powerful stuff. ok for another room most likely, but not ok for the same room.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back