SMSL Sanskrit 24bit 192kHz USB DAC
Jun 14, 2016 at 8:26 AM Post #46 of 156
@thuNDa do you think the 793II is on par with the O2? It seems to me it is weaker, the specs also say so. I also have an O2.

I would say, it's not on par, but on the other hand it has a pretty "transparent" amp section for its overall capabilities(DAC section over RCA-outs), which makes it a pretty complete package you get for your money(you also get about the same loudness from it, than with the O2@2.5x gain, so plently for its price).
There are other devices in that pricerange, which apparently have diverging performances from Headphone-out and RCA-out.

With a proper usb to spdif interface I noticed that the 793 can reach 192kHz, but of course this is not supported.

woa woa woa, doesn't such thing include an own DAC, which messes with everything you try to gain with a better DAC?

Jun 14, 2016 at 9:20 AM Post #47 of 156
I would assume the Sanskrit would sound better DAC-wise than the SD793-II, but it's good to hear confirmations that it's noticeably better.  Especially after reading some less flattering statements about the Sanskrit.  I've read some good things about the M3, but the amp specs look really weak, and logic assumes the DAC is worse than the Sanskrit.  M3 is rated weaker than the SD793II.

The O2 is rated 5x more powerful than the 793.  The 793 sounds nice, but it gets more credit than it deserves in the power department.  Volume aside, it doesn't have the power for good dynamics on harder to drive headphones.

Jun 14, 2016 at 10:43 AM Post #48 of 156
  I would assume the Sanskrit would sound better DAC-wise than the SD793-II, but it's good to hear confirmations that it's noticeably better.  Especially after reading some less flattering statements about the Sanskrit.  I've read some good things about the M3, but the amp specs look really weak, and logic assumes the DAC is worse than the Sanskrit.  M3 is rated weaker than the SD793II.

The O2 is rated 5x more powerful than the 793.  The 793 sounds nice, but it gets more credit than it deserves in the power department.  Volume aside, it doesn't have the power for good dynamics on harder to drive headphones.

I bought M8 as an upgrade to my Sanskrit 6th, and ended up selling the M8. Sanskrit was sounding less digital, less fatiguing and had a bigger sound stage. It's of course matter of taste, but Sanskrit 6th is a bargain for the quality it offers.

Jun 15, 2016 at 2:30 AM Post #49 of 156
Hi ! sorry to jump in.   I see also an Anniversary edition
confused.gif

http://www.ebay.com/itm/SMSL-Sanskrit-6th-Anniversary-Edition-DAC-Coaxial-Port-Decoder-with-USB-Input-/252399603253?var=&hash=item3ac4304e35:m:mDeMY9f8MbEHkVVy7c0vfQw
Do you know of any differences between the normal one and this one ? 
Moreover, have you tried different power supply ? 
Thanks and regards,  gino

Jun 15, 2016 at 4:32 AM Post #50 of 156

I would say, it's not on par, but on the other hand it has a pretty "transparent" amp section for its overall capabilities(DAC section over RCA-outs), which makes it a pretty complete package you get for your money(you also get about the same loudness from it, than with the O2@2.5x gain, so plently for its price).
There are other devices in that pricerange, which apparently have diverging performances from Headphone-out and RCA-out.

Well I agree it's quite good for the money, but power does not only give you loudness. You get better dynamics with more power :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thuNDa /img/forum/go_quote.gif

woa woa woa, doesn't such thing include an own DAC, which messes with everything you try to gain with a better DAC?

The 793II is a DAC, but it does not have a USB input. So you need either a source with a coaxial/optical output like a CD player or a pc with SPDIF output, or a dedicated digital-to-digital interface (sometimes called DDC). There are many on the market.
In my specific case, I tried the 793II with an Audiophonics usb-to-spdif interface, quite a good piece of equipment, and not very expensive.
With such interface the 793II was working at 192kHz. That sampling rate is beyond the item's specifications, so please do not take this for granted :)

Jun 15, 2016 at 5:33 AM Post #51 of 156
Jun 15, 2016 at 8:11 AM Post #53 of 156

The 793II is a DAC, but it does not have a USB input. So you need either a source with a coaxial/optical output like a CD player or a pc with SPDIF output, or a dedicated digital-to-digital interface (sometimes called DDC). There are many on the market.
In my specific case, I tried the 793II with an Audiophonics usb-to-spdif interface, quite a good piece of equipment, and not very expensive.
With such interface the 793II was working at 192kHz. That sampling rate is beyond the item's specifications, so please do not take this for granted :)

Ah yes, you are right.
Such interface is digital to digital, so it's "safe". 
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:18 AM Post #55 of 156

What do you mean by "safe"? 

That it doesn't interfere with the signal.
If it was like i thought it would be, then it would have gone through an additional (cheap) DAC, and from there to the good DAC which wouldn't make much sense anymore, when the signal was already "destroyed" by the cheap DA(nalog)C from the USB to Optical converter.
But since it's Digital to Digital, and i was a bit dense there, it should be indeed "safe" to use DD(igital)C's. 
tongue.gif

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:38 AM Post #56 of 156

That it doesn't interfere with the signal.
If it was like i thought it would be, then it would have gone through an additional (cheap) DAC, and from there to the good DAC which wouldn't make much sense anymore, when the signal was already "destroyed" by the cheap DA(nalog)C from the USB to Optical converter.
But since it's Digital to Digital, and i was a bit dense there, it should be indeed "safe" to use DD(igital)C's. 
tongue.gif

yes for sure, but not all the DDCs are the same of course :)

Jul 17, 2016 at 5:10 PM Post #57 of 156
I Have 3 of THE SMSL Sanskrits in my home studio,the main PC has an Alesis Compressor/Limiter before going into a mixing desk,after the DAC,my radio shows sound :loud_sound: Crystal clear on the FM Frequency and Online,,Can't fault these DAC'S for the money,,the only other addition is a 'Jitterbug' between the PC and DAC!.

Aug 24, 2016 at 1:21 AM Post #58 of 156
Hi All I purchased what was listed as an SMSL Sanskrit 6th Anniversary from a private seller on ebay (australia). However i cannot confirm whether it truly is.

Theres no mention of "6th anniversary version" on the unit, packaging or the included documentation.
There's a barcode sticker on the side of the unit which shows "SMSL DAC315695" however google yields no results.

in Win(7) device manager and after installing the drivers from CD, the device shows as "Speakers Sanskrit 6th".
in Win(7) the highest sound format available is 24bit, 192000Hz (Studio Quality).
in foobar, the device shows as "DS: Speaker (Sanskrit 6th)".

Amazon.com shows two versions which appear to be the normal version and a 6th anni version. each show different chip specifications.

your help is really appreciated.
thanks

Aug 24, 2016 at 7:31 AM Post #60 of 156
  Hi All I purchased what was listed as an SMSL Sanskrit 6th Anniversary from a private seller on ebay (australia). However i cannot confirm whether it truly is.

Theres no mention of "6th anniversary version" on the unit, packaging or the included documentation.
There's a barcode sticker on the side of the unit which shows "SMSL DAC315695" however google yields no results.

in Win(7) device manager and after installing the drivers from CD, the device shows as "Speakers Sanskrit 6th".
in Win(7) the highest sound format available is 24bit, 192000Hz (Studio Quality).
in foobar, the device shows as "DS: Speaker (Sanskrit 6th)".

Amazon.com shows two versions which appear to be the normal version and a 6th anni version. each show different chip specifications.

your help is really appreciated.
thanks

If it was the old version, the Sanskrit 6th driver would not work(they have different USB-chips, so there is no way that this driver could work with the non-6th version).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back