SMSL Sanskrit 24bit 192kHz USB DAC
Feb 12, 2016 at 8:27 AM Post #33 of 156
Hello, no, the P1 was not even available at the time.
I am using a ZetaGi FT146. See: http://www.zgitaly.it/italiano/area.asp?sez=5&id=18
It's an italian brand.

I read your location is "Land of Chocolate and Watches", so I might educately guess you are close enough to Italy, so if you might place an order and receive the item quite fast eheh :) 

I am currently using this PSU with a Peachtree DAC-It, which comes with a wall-wart. It makes a lot of a difference.
Same applies to the SMSL, although the DAC-It is better than the Sanskrit.

Regards

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:32 AM Post #34 of 156
Of course the P1 should be perfectly suitable. In the item description, the Sanskrit is always listed as compatible.
The ZetaGI is a lot more powerful (I have another one set @12V powering an Atom 330 minipc, a dedicated network player with linux, mpd and upmpdcli).

Regards

Feb 12, 2016 at 8:38 AM Post #35 of 156
  Hello, no, the P1 was not even available at the time.
I am using a ZetaGi FT146. See: http://www.zgitaly.it/italiano/area.asp?sez=5&id=18
It's an italian brand.

I read your location is "Land of Chocolate and Watches", so I might educately guess you are close enough to Italy, so if you might place an order and receive the item quite fast eheh :) 

I am currently using this PSU with a Peachtree DAC-It, which comes with a wall-wart. It makes a lot of a difference.
Same applies to the SMSL, although the DAC-It is better than the Sanskrit.

Regards

Grazie mille, yes will certainly take a look 
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:16 AM Post #38 of 156
Honestly the USB was very 'noisy' compared to optical. This is using a Gigabyte Z170X-G7 with supposid 'DAC USB Ports'. The optical was better by miles. USB seemed to have a white noise to it. I've just purchased a Bifrost 4490 to go with the Asgard (Which I thought sounds amazing with the SMSL 6th) so I'll be doing a shootout for sure. Fair? No. Do I care? No. :D

Mar 15, 2016 at 4:42 AM Post #39 of 156
  Honestly the USB was very 'noisy' compared to optical. This is using a Gigabyte Z170X-G7 with supposid 'DAC USB Ports'. The optical was better by miles. USB seemed to have a white noise to it. I've just purchased a Bifrost 4490 to go with the Asgard (Which I thought sounds amazing with the SMSL 6th) so I'll be doing a shootout for sure. Fair? No. Do I care? No. :D

Looking forward to your comparison. I went from Modi2Uber to Sanskrit 6th, and felt it as a big step up in terms of soundstage and warmth. Modi2U was bright and sibilant to my ears. Don't know if it's the AK chip signature or just the analog output of Modi. Also curious about the white noise issues. Using it with Macbook, didn't hear any noise.

Mar 15, 2016 at 7:59 AM Post #40 of 156
Its not so much that there was a constant noise, however it felt the music was a bit more closed than normal, or more grainy. My terminology may not be correct, however, a veil was lifted moving to glass optical that I was able to test simultaneously using Windows audio selection, yeah, not an A/B test but it was that obvious for me. This seems to be a very common thing even with real nice dacs. From my research quite a bit of the Bifrost community here urges optical only condemning the USB implementation, or use of the Wyrd/Decrapifier (and the USB2.0 alone is a $75 upgrade option!) regardless of it being 'pretty good'. There are pretty cheap USB to SPDIF Optical adapters out there. May be worth a shot, especially with a $100 DAC. More to follow, DAC arrives today but it'll be burning in for a day or two.

Mar 15, 2016 at 6:27 PM Post #41 of 156
First impressions? I fired up the Bifrost and listened to it stone cold real quick to make sure its working. Yep... Blew my mind with the instrument separation and authority using Metallica's S&M Call of Ktulu. Now to let'er burn in.   

-- Time passes by :D -- 

Alright, first thing I had to do was down my bass EQ a bit previous to what it was before. The Schiit Bifrost 4490 handles all frequencies and bass balance for each instrument much better than the Sanskrit 6th. The 6th has been enjoyable to me, but hearing this I know that the 6th is a definitely a $100 DAC. The more I listen the more I notice changes in the sound, layering, and presentation of what I'm hearing and how much it really has improved. 

Take this with a grain of salt, just my impressions of $400 vs $100. Just wish I'd spent more in the first place. I'm amazed at how big and weighty this thing is too. Must be full'o schiit. 

Jun 13, 2016 at 9:04 PM Post #44 of 156
  Anyone with a Sanskrit also have an SD793-II?  The SD793 has an amp, but I'm wondering how the DACs compare.

The DAC portion of the SD793ii uses the same outputstage(minus the maxim amp-chip, which isn't stated anywhere in the specs tho), and feeding my O2 with it, results in about the same sound you get when plugging directly into headphone-out(even A/B'ed it using a switch-box).
I upgraded to the Sanskrit 6th, and it was an upgrade indeed(using optical-in).
Not that it was overwhelming for me personally, but better is better, and there is no way back anymore.
smile.gif

Jun 14, 2016 at 2:48 AM Post #45 of 156
I also have both devices.
I agree with the previous two posts.
The Sanskrit is better and I do not even own the latest version.
With a proper usb to spdif interface I noticed that the 793 can reach 192kHz, but of course this is not supported.

@thuNDa do you think the 793II is on par with the O2? It seems to me it is weaker, the specs also say so. I also have an O2.
Anyway IMO for the price the device is a very nice upgrade when compared to regular PC audio output.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back