SINGERS WITH UNIQUE, ODD AND UNUSUAL VOICES
Aug 2, 2006 at 12:09 PM Post #47 of 79
Brad Roberts from Crash Test Dummies.
Jon Anderson from Yes
Frank Zappa
Mark Knopfler ... Actually he's not as unique as I used to think. I recently got reaquainted with a couple of JJ Cale's LPs and couldn't believe how much Knopfler's voice (and guitar riffs) sound like Cale's.

Aug 2, 2006 at 12:37 PM Post #48 of 79
Just the idea of them having childrens......
very_evil_smiley.gif

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...CLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

http://www.curtisknapp.com/IMAGES/po...nina_hagen.jpg

Amicalement

Aug 2, 2006 at 5:56 PM Post #53 of 79
C'mon people...I cant believe no one's mentioned Les Claypool from Primus...what a wierdo he is haha.

Byron from Bal Sagoth does some cool stuff with the combination of black metal vocals, english accent and narration.

The singer of ...and Oceans does some pretty unorthodox things with his voice too.

I always liked Jack White's vocals too for their weird quality

Aug 2, 2006 at 11:46 PM Post #54 of 79
I don't think anyone has mentioned the blues great, Skip James, who had a very distinctive falsetto. Sticking with the blues, Howlin Wolf had a strangely unmistakeable voice.

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:24 AM Post #56 of 79
You could probably call anyone's voice unique. I think a lot of the singers people are adding could be considered to have a unique voice, but definitely not odd or unusual. Knopfler, Cohen, Bowie, Byrne, Petty....those don't strike me as all that odd or unusual.

I'll add:

James Hetfield and Ozzy sing with unusual affects

Nusrat Fateh Ali Khan and Israel Kamakawiwo'ole for the strength, passion, AND subtlety of their voices

Eros Ramazzotti - thanks to bhd812 for introducing me to this raspy Italian

Gordon Lightfoot - fairly unusual

Diana Krall - only when she says words with a emphasis on the rolling "R" sound the way she does

Aug 3, 2006 at 4:30 AM Post #57 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wmcmanus
Yes, an unusual voice indeed! In fact, a rather unusual man, if I must say. Ray, that is. I don't know which singer you're referring to, but he's got to be better than Ray. I heard Ray singing, "Raindrops keep falling on my head" and couldn't help but to ask how the raindrops were able to make it down that far...

"Have you tried the veal? Thank you. Thank you very much. I'll be here all week."

Maybe I should send a PM to Ray with a link to this thread to see what he has to say about the way I dance with my headphones and eye shades on. Ray is always good fun, but he can't sing to save his life! Trust me on that.

After seeing him dance I can't even imagine hearing him sing!
eek.gif
And don't forget to tip the waitresses....

Paul Robeson is a good guess Grassy but that isn't the one. Todd has committed to figuring this out with Ray, so I am hoping to hear back soon.

Aug 3, 2006 at 6:33 AM Post #59 of 79
First ones that came to mind are:

John Denver (leaning towards high-pitched, yet manly
blink.gif
)

Michael Jackson (no explanation)

Elvis (very deeep)

Muse <band> (Supermassive Black Hole, anyone?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back