SINGERS WITH UNIQUE, ODD AND UNUSUAL VOICES
Jul 31, 2006 at 3:42 PM Post #19 of 79
I can't believe no one has mentioned Neil Young on this list yet.

Jul 31, 2006 at 4:06 PM Post #20 of 79
Lou Roads from Lamb would be my top pick for odd and unusual.

Jul 31, 2006 at 7:59 PM Post #23 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeg
. . . singers that have unique aspects to their voices, placing either their whole voice or parts of their voice outside of the norm. Unique talents would include extraordinary high or low notes, unusual sounds, gowling, scratchy, etc.

This would seem to exactly describe Antony of Antony and the Johnsons, and I was surprised to see no mention in the thread.

antony3.jpg

Another thought was Screamin' Jay Hawkins at the other end of the spectrum.

hawkins_animation001.gif

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:15 PM Post #24 of 79
I have been trying to figure out the name of a male gospel/blues singer with a super-deep bass voice whom I heard on NPR one time. First half of the last century was when he was recorded, I think. I also think Ray Samuels was playing his music at the NYC international meet, but I am not sure. His voice is so deep it makes your short hairs tingle when you listen on 'phones or speakers alike. Anyone know who I am talking about? I PM'd Ray one time but did not hear back.

Jul 31, 2006 at 8:23 PM Post #25 of 79
Definitely Tom Waits -- a bourbon-soaked sandpaper voice that's been scraped with rusty nails and set on fire.

Joanna Newsom as well -- I'm not even sure how to describe her voice; it's the oddest I've ever heard.

Jul 31, 2006 at 9:42 PM Post #26 of 79
There must be a zillion of these; here's a few more:
Tom Petty
Jon Anderson
Alanis Morrissette
Natalie Merchant
Sinead O'Connor

Jul 31, 2006 at 10:42 PM Post #27 of 79
Bob Dylan
Regina Spektor
Antony and the Johnsons
Clap Your Hands Say Yeah
Neutral Milk Hotel
The Decemberists
The Streets (Mike Skinner)

Aug 1, 2006 at 1:16 AM Post #28 of 79
Quote:

Originally Posted by shesmylovernow
Joanna Newsom as well -- I'm not even sure how to describe her voice; it's the oddest I've ever heard.

just dont describe her vocals as "child-like". i love her voice, although some of my friends + family may not agree.

Aug 1, 2006 at 2:39 AM Post #29 of 79
Wow, I'm suprised no one has yet mentioned Cibo Matto or Deb Talan. Both of those artists have very unique vocals, but I prefer Deb Talan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back