Shure SRH1540 Review
Feb 13, 2014 at 1:13 PM Post #106 of 2,681
  Does anyone have trouble with the fixed angle of the ear cups/pads?  I tried the SRH1540 at a meet and loved the sound, and the pads were the nicest I have ever tried... but like the V-Moda M-100, the ear cup angle is fixed.

Looking down at the top of someones's head:

|    |

is how the feel to me, when what I really want is something closer to this:

/    \

Do I just have a strangely shaped head, or do some of you have the same issue and have solved it by bending the frame slightly inward towards the front side of the ear cups?  Just wondering.  I find it hard to get used to because I am consistently bugged by the uneven pressure towards the back of my head rather than the balanced pressure I feel with my ATH-ESW9 or HD-700 which both have pivots that allow the ear cups to angle in to match my ears and/or head and thus feel balanced and less fatiguing for longer listening sessions.

Not takers on this???  Just one more attempt to get some feedback from those of you using this headphone...

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:18 PM Post #107 of 2,681
Apart from the Shure being knuckleheads by using the same tired-weird headband design (where it extends more outward than downwards) I don't have problems with how the cups sit on my head... so nope... sorry.

Feb 14, 2014 at 8:33 AM Post #109 of 2,681
How do these compare to the Mad Dogs? My listening genres are rap/hiphop, trap and dubstep. I want the one with more bass impact, on both mid, and sub-bass, more forward, lush, airy midrange, and relaxed, but extended treble.

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:12 AM Post #110 of 2,681
How do these compare to the Mad Dogs? My listening genres are rap/hiphop, trap and dubstep. I want the one with more bass impact, on both mid, and sub-bass, more forward, lush, airy midrange, and relaxed, but extended treble.
i only heard the mad dogs really briefly, but srh1540 matches your description really well.

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:24 AM Post #111 of 2,681
i only heard the mad dogs really briefly, but srh1540 matches your description really well.

+1

I owned the Mad Dogs (V3.0) and yes the SRH1540s are definitely the next step up in sound.

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:49 AM Post #113 of 2,681
I've heard a lot of people say on review the midrange is a bit distant, this really worries me man... I also can't try them out anywhere here in my city.
Lol. SRH1540's mids being distant? What was there reference? I mean, when compared to UERM, they have slightly forward mids, but compared to SE315, they have less mids. If you use the flattest iem/hp as a reference, 1540 has forward mids. The mids are very good.

Feb 14, 2014 at 10:53 AM Post #114 of 2,681
  Apart from the Shure being knuckleheads by using the same tired-weird headband design (where it extends more outward than downwards) I don't have problems with how the cups sit on my head... so nope... sorry.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you use your Yamaha Pro 500s vs the Shure 1540s?  Patiently awaiting the arrival of my SRH1540s :D

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:02 AM Post #115 of 2,681
Lol. SRH1540's mids being distant? What was there reference? I mean, when compared to UERM, they have slightly forward mids, but compared to SE315, they have less mids. If you use the flattest iem/hp as a reference, 1540 has forward mids. The mids are very good.

Alright thanks, you got me convinced to save up for them. I should be getting them somewhere in August, when I have saved 500 euro's. Really can't wait for them dude 
smile_phones.gif

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #116 of 2,681
  I've heard a lot of people say on review the midrange is a bit distant, this really worries me man... I also can't try them out anywhere here in my city.

Yeah, it will depend with what headphones are you comparing them...
If you compare MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs, Beyerdynamic T5p's against the SRH1540s, then yes, their mids will sound distant since the previous 2 have less bass bloom/smearing/presence with a more even transition between bass/mid-bass/lower-mids. Also, their warm-ish nature can give an impression of "distant" mids. If you are more of a "treble-head" or neutral-head then these might not be for you as they are indeed colored.

Just out of curiosity, how much do you use your Yamaha Pro 500s vs the Shure 1540s?  Patiently awaiting the arrival of my SRH1540s :D

None.
I no longer have them! :)
The Pro500s are basically basshead cans, V-shaped but with actually ok presence in the mids and good clarity. The SRH1540s are borderline basshead (at least for me) but it's more even overall and their imaging is excellent!

Feb 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM Post #117 of 2,681
The mids/vocals ARE NOT distant. They are flat and dead even. But to those who are used to forward mids might complain. That's all I'm saying.

I absolutely LOVE my 1540. Its my favorite HP and I'm used to forward mids, and lean bass, myself. Just buy the darn 1540 and stop questioning the same things on the forum over and over, again. The answers are not going to change. The 1540 is as good as it gets for a bass emphasized headphone. Most, if not all, bassy headphones will have SOME form of a U-shaped signature. The 1540, however, manages to have a flat treble response that matches the vocals, avoiding that U-shaped frequency...

Feb 14, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #118 of 2,681

Yeah, it will depend with what headphones are you comparing them...
If you compare MrSpeakers Alpha Dogs, Beyerdynamic T5p's against the SRH1540s, then yes, their mids will sound distant since the previous 2 have less bass bloom/smearing/presence with a more even transition between bass/mid-bass/lower-mids. Also, their warm-ish nature can give an impression of "distant" mids. If you are more of a "treble-head" or neutral-head then these might not be for you as they are indeed colored.

None.
I no longer have them! :)
The Pro500s are basically basshead cans, V-shaped but with actually ok presence in the mids and good clarity. The SRH1540s are borderline basshead (at least for me) but it's more even overall and their imaging is excellent!

Yea I've seen the frequency graph for the Pro 500 and they didn't look like something I would like but given you had both sparked my question.  Thank you!

Feb 15, 2014 at 6:09 AM Post #119 of 2,681
  Alright thanks, you got me convinced to save up for them. I should be getting them somewhere in August, when I have saved 500 euro's. Really can't wait for them dude 
smile_phones.gif

if u have an amp with a High/Lo gain switch...putting it to High gain can forward the mids a notch..to my experience.
The mids on the 1540 is not exactly its main strength if u are looking for intimacy in vocals...
hate to see u saving up 500euro n be surprised... u better take a train ride somewhere across the border n give it a good listen...:p

I would own the 1540 for watching movies.. the bass aural...whooshhh..love it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back