Shure SRH1540 Review
Feb 12, 2014 at 10:52 AM Post #76 of 2,681
I'm extremely interested in these headphones, but have a question maybe you guys can help me with: How well are these driven by an iPhone 5s? Down the road, I'll certainly start researching some sort of amp/DAC configuration - but for now I'm looking for something nice right out of my phone (and MacBook Pro).

I've actually tried a few recently (ATH AD900x, V-Moda M100, AKG K545), and I currently have the Philips X1 - but from the reviews and descriptions of the SHR1540's I've been able to find, these seem closer to what I'm looking for. To me, the "right" sound would be worth the $$, but only if they like my phone (for now).

...I'm finding Head-Fi to be a very "dangerous" place!...

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:26 AM Post #77 of 2,681
  I'm extremely interested in these headphones, but have a question maybe you guys can help me with: How well are these driven by an iPhone 5s? Down the road, I'll certainly start researching some sort of amp/DAC configuration - but for now I'm looking for something nice right out of my phone (and MacBook Pro).

I've actually tried a few recently (ATH AD900x, V-Moda M100, AKG K545), and I currently have the Philips X1 - but from the reviews and descriptions of the SHR1540's I've been able to find, these seem closer to what I'm looking for. To me, the "right" sound would be worth the $$, but only if they like my phone (for now).

I can't really comment on the headphones, but as far as using the MBP and iPhone as your source/DAC isn't the worst.  There are definitely worse choices out there.  The iPhone 5 was a really good source for me.  My Note 3 is actually amazingly and surprisingly good.  My MBA 2011 is ok, though I haven't tried out my MBA 2013.  I'd be willing to bet the MBP to have a better DAC, too (and you have the benefit of having SPDIF built into your headphone/line-out jack).

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:49 AM Post #78 of 2,681
  How do they compare to the Shure 840 in terms of sound quality? Cus I REALLY liked the sound of the 840's, only wished they had more bass.

Oh dude... just get them! LOL
I really thought that these 1540s were just 840s on steroids! So if you liked/appreciated the 840 sound sig, this one will kick your butt! More bass quantity, better imaging, even mids (not as forward as the 840s as far as I remember), and more comfortable.

Very easy to drive, you will not have problems driving them from your iPhone. I personally used them with my FiiO X3, Cowon C2, via Schiit Magni, Lehman BCL, and they are easy to drive and not picky at all.

And yes... HF is a dangerous place indeed.

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:12 PM Post #79 of 2,681

Oh dude... just get them! LOL
I really thought that these 1540s were just 840s on steroids! So if you liked/appreciated the 840 sound sig, this one will kick your butt! More bass quantity, better imaging, even mids (not as forward as the 840s as far as I remember), and more comfortable.

Very easy to drive, you will not have problems driving them from your iPhone. I personally used them with my FiiO X3, Cowon C2, via Schiit Magni, Lehman BCL, and they are easy to drive and not picky at all.

And yes... HF is a dangerous place indeed.

I mean, they're 500 euro's here in my country. That's an INSANE amount of money, especially for a student like me.

So I need to make absolutely 100% sure I make the perfect choice...

Even mids? That doesn't sound too good.... The forward mids were the part I LOVED about the 840's, just as their treble presentation.

I also thought that the 840's were really airy sounding, (compared to my semi-open AKG K540) especially for a closed headphone.

How is the clarity, separation, treble and detail retreival compared to the 840's?

Feb 12, 2014 at 12:51 PM Post #80 of 2,681
What about Focal Classics ? seem to be around the same category right?

Feb 12, 2014 at 1:43 PM Post #81 of 2,681
  vs(Request for something!)

These are in the running for a nice pair of reference-class closed headphones. Tried the W1000X and the signature was nice, but it didn't work out due to fit and support issues. Been looking at the D5000 and Alpha Dog next. How does the SRH1540 compare, sonically, to these three headphones mentioned? The question is for anyone with insight into this.

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #82 of 2,681

These are in the running for a nice pair of reference-class closed headphones. Tried the W1000X and the signature was nice, but it didn't work out due to fit and support issues. Been looking at the D5000 and Alpha Dog next. How does the SRH1540 compare, sonically, to these three headphones mentioned? The question is for anyone with insight into this.

If this is any help, I was never impressed with the W1000X when I demo'd or when I compared the measurements for it to the 1540s so I would confidently put my money on the SRH1540 but I have yet to hear the SRH1540.  I really find the W1000X to be an overrated headphones IMO.

Feb 12, 2014 at 2:19 PM Post #83 of 2,681
  What about Focal Classics ? seem to be around the same category right?

From what I've read/heard the Focal Classics are more neutral but the 1540s are so much more fun.

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:11 PM Post #85 of 2,681
  I mean, they're 500 euro's here in my country. That's an INSANE amount of money, especially for a student like me.

So I need to make absolutely 100% sure I make the perfect choice...

Even mids? That doesn't sound too good.... The forward mids were the part I LOVED about the 840's, just as their treble presentation.

I also thought that the 840's were really airy sounding, (compared to my semi-open AKG K540) especially for a closed headphone.

How is the clarity, separation, treble and detail retreival compared to the 840's?

Well, it probably doesn't sound too good for your tastes! :wink:
Bass presence on the 1540s really take precedence, the rest of the spectrum is pretty much even... That's even supported by the freq response it seems:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH840.pdf
http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/ShureSRH1540.pdf

1540s >>> 840s all the way anyway... separation == imaging (in my dictionary), and the 1540s trounce the 840s.

Check my review as well on my Signature for more of my musings.

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:26 PM Post #86 of 2,681
  If this is any help, I was never impressed with the W1000X when I demo'd or when I compared the measurements for it to the 1540s so I would confidently put my money on the SRH1540 but I have yet to hear the SRH1540.  I really find the W1000X to be an overrated headphones IMO.

If the W1000X used a traditional headband as opposed to the wings, I probably would not have been looking beyond it. Oh well.

Beyond that, I'm a HUGE fan of the SRH940, but know I want something a lot nicer for my home rig's closed option. It's the D5000, D7000, or Alpha Dog at this point. So does anyone have some comparisons they can make?

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:46 PM Post #87 of 2,681
Does anyone have trouble with the fixed angle of the ear cups/pads?  I tried the SRH1540 at a meet and loved the sound, and the pads were the nicest I have ever tried... but like the V-Moda M-100, the ear cup angle is fixed.

Looking down at the top of someones's head:

|    |

is how the feel to me, when what I really want is something closer to this:

/    \

Do I just have a strangely shaped head, or do some of you have the same issue and have solved it by bending the frame slightly inward towards the front side of the ear cups?  Just wondering.  I find it hard to get used to because I am consistently bugged by the uneven pressure towards the back of my head rather than the balanced pressure I feel with my ATH-ESW9 or HD-700 which both have pivots that allow the ear cups to angle in to match my ears and/or head and thus feel balanced and less fatiguing for longer listening sessions.

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:37 PM Post #88 of 2,681
  @pez and @gelocks - Thanks for the input! Sounds like I can cross requires-an-amp off the "cons" list, and move a little closer to ordering these. 

Yeah.

I bought my GF a pair of SRH440s and they're fantastic out of my Note 3.  They were probably 90% of the N3's performance out of the MBA 2011, but I'm sure it was the difference in DACs.  Of course that's a $100 pair of cans vs. an actually high-end pair, but if it's any indication and the trend remains constant, it will be a rather pleasant experience.

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #89 of 2,681
Well, I have another question that seems appropriate for this thread (is a noob permitted 2 questions in the same day?)...

One thing that interests me about the 1540s is that they have separate cables going to each ear cup. Something I've noticed about my current pair (X1s) is that "center" is not exactly in the middle, but slightly to the left. On the K545s I had, center instruments seemed even further off to left. The M-100s were good, my M50s are perfect. I realize "center" can vary depending on the recording, but there are those songs that you are familiar with and you know that kick drum should be right in the middle sweet spot in your brain. 

I'm wondering if having two cables feed the phones ensures a better L/R balance, as opposed to one cable that goes to one side? 

[Of course, the imbalance could just be my imagination. But it sure is distracting!]

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:37 PM Post #90 of 2,681
  Well, I have another question that seems appropriate for this thread (is a noob permitted 2 questions in the same day?)...

One thing that interests me about the 1540s is that they have separate cables going to each ear cup. Something I've noticed about my current pair (X1s) is that "center" is not exactly in the middle, but slightly to the left. On the K545s I had, center instruments seemed even further off to left. The M-100s were good, my M50s are perfect. I realize "center" can vary depending on the recording, but there are those songs that you are familiar with and you know that kick drum should be right in the middle sweet spot in your brain. 

I'm wondering if having two cables feed the phones ensures a better L/R balance, as opposed to one cable that goes to one side? 

[Of course, the imbalance could just be my imagination. But it sure is distracting!]

Generally, a dual-entry system is going to ensure there is no delay between the signal reaching your drivers as the signal needs to travel the same amount. Now, people really can't tell the difference because the signal is so damn quick, but that's the purpose of the dual-entry vs the single-entry. Balance, though, that's a different issue. If you're noticing the center of most of your recordings is off to the left slightly, it may be a hearing issue. Might be something to have a doctor look into.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back