Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 9, 2014 at 1:38 PM Post #8,146 of 22,946
Just wanted to say, Warrior, that I will not need to eat my words. 
wink_face.gif

Whew! 
redface.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:27 PM Post #8,147 of 22,946
I was bored today. 

I'm testing a tip mod that involves putting Westone True-Fit foam inside the Shure medium silicon. I also use a spacer and a wide beveled stopper to keep the foam from coming out of the tip. So far I love this setup, will post impressions once I have more ear time with them! Comfort is better and isolation skyrocketed. They are very easy to take in and out and everything stays in place VERY nicely, considering it's 4 pieces per tip.

The grey part you see behind the tip is not the foam. It's the beveled stopper that keeps the foam inside =) 

P.S does anyone own the JH13 Freqphase? How do they compare to the 8's? I'm interested MAINLY in how good their ability to produce sub bass is. I'm a sub bass head

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:47 PM Post #8,148 of 22,946
  I was bored today. 

I'm testing a tip mod that involves putting Westone True-Fit foam inside the Shure medium silicon. I also use a spacer and a wide beveled stopper to keep the foam from coming out of the tip. So far I love this setup, will post impressions once I have more ear time with them! Comfort is better and isolation skyrocketed. They are very easy to take in and out and everything stays in place VERY nicely, considering it's 4 pieces per tip.

The grey part you see behind the tip is not the foam. It's the beveled stopper that keeps the foam inside =) 

P.S does anyone own the JH13 Freqphase? How do they compare to the 8's? I'm interested MAINLY in how good their ability to produce sub bass is. I'm a sub bass head

I do not own the JH13FP, but I have listened to the universal version.  I believe the JH13FP is more of a neutral signature, very analytical C/IEM, than a sub-bass/bass king/queen the SE846 is.  Their ability to produce sub-bass is okay, but it didn't strike me as anything mesmerizing.  I thought the UE18 Pro had "better" sub-bass/bass, and the JH16FP has better overall bass than the JH13FP, at a slight hit of the upper mids and highs of the JH13FP.  Also, the Ref. 1's bass is absolutely lovely, as it is weighty and has heft to it.

I'll be demoing a new CIEM (EarWerkz Legend Remastered [R]) very soon, as this particular CIEM has been garnering some serious praise as of late.  Can't wait!

Dec 9, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #8,149 of 22,946
  I was bored today. 

So you created what's essentially a homemade hybrid. Cool. 
biggrin.gif

Dec 9, 2014 at 4:09 PM Post #8,150 of 22,946
I was bored today. 

Listening to some yoga dub groves, that's where the sub bass lives, down tempo style. Name of band is shamans dream asudha, album yoga dub groves, song temple giveaways, listening through vamp Verza dac amp, 846, quad ribbon cable, that sub base on the 14 beat goes through my ears down my spine, kinda scares me a little. Now that satisfies my bass head. 846 forever. Westone star tips for me.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:03 PM Post #8,151 of 22,946
Listening to some yoga dub groves, that's where the sub bass lives, down tempo style. Name of band is shamans dream asudha, album yoga dub groves, song temple giveaways, listening through vamp Verza dac amp, 846, quad ribbon cable, that sub base on the 14 beat goes through my ears down my spine, kinda scares me a little. Now that satisfies my bass head. 846 forever. Westone star tips for me.

Seems the artist name is Desert Dwellers. I just bought the Asudha Yoga Dub album off bandcamp, thanks for the tip!

It's such chilled out music

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:07 PM Post #8,152 of 22,946

I had this odd feeling that you're someone who would practice yoga. oooooooohm.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:18 PM Post #8,153 of 22,946

Seems the artist name is Desert Dwellers. I just bought the Asudha Yoga Dub album off bandcamp, thanks for the tip!

It's such chilled out music

I have lots of dwellers enjoy, this one is new for me called yogi tunes asudha yoga dub grooves artist shamans dream song temple giveaways. But no matter sub bass is in the dwellers as well. I have what six or seven albums not all the tunes, I select through i tunes. Wow that sub bass is going again as I type, freaks me out.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:22 PM Post #8,154 of 22,946

I had this odd feeling that you're someone who would practice yoga. oooooooohm.

Actually my soul mate does four five times a week. I don't,. I'm gen x grew up through prog rock so have branched out all my life looking for interesting sounds, instrumentals, experimentation. This refrence thing really lends itself well to these genres, including electronic.....I do like grooves, love harmonies. Even classicle, jazz, blues. All sound great on my rig. But ooohm ma pad me hum back at ya.:relieved:

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:30 PM Post #8,155 of 22,946
@Scorpion667: I love hybrid tips.

If you buy foam tips that fit the Monster earphones (like Comply T-400 or so),   they simply slide onto the Shure stem and generally stay in place. I've been using these type foam tips on the stem of my triple-flange for 4 years or longer now. I love it. I put the tip on in the morning (6:00 am) and it holds in place in my ears all day long till (4:00 pm). It adds extra isolation as well (for me anyway). I can eat while listening and open my mouth as wide as I want with no change in sound.

Dec 9, 2014 at 7:59 PM Post #8,156 of 22,946
  @Scorpion667: I love hybrid tips.

If you buy foam tips that fit the Monster earphones (like Comply T-400 or so),   they simply slide onto the Shure stem and generally stay in place. I've been using these type foam tips on the stem of my triple-flange for 4 years or longer now. I love it. I put the tip on in the morning (6:00 am) and it holds in place in my ears all day long till (4:00 pm). It adds extra isolation as well (for me anyway). I can eat while listening and open my mouth as wide as I want with no change in sound.

Dude... I'm totally gonna try this as I have two pairs of T-400 Compy tips in a drawer somwhere! 
[edit] My T400's fit perfectly on the Shure stem! U da man

Hey you guys know about silver cables? Yeah... how the %$% do I fix this:

I've been struggling with this for weeks. I have to like twist it twice for it to stay flat to my body but any weird movements will cause it to twist around itself.

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:04 PM Post #8,157 of 22,946
  Dude... I'm totally gonna try this as I have two pairs of T-400 Compy tips in a drawer somwhere! 

Hey you guys know about silver cables? Yeah... how the %$% do I fix this:

I've been struggling with this for weeks. I have to like twist it twice for it to stay flat to my body but any weird movements will cause it to twist around itself.

That's just the nature of braided cables, man. lol Nothing you can really do to fix it. Nice socks though. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 8:51 PM Post #8,158 of 22,946
Thanks! I scored half a mil modeling those ugly sox. J/k (it was a mil)
...and then I woke up.

This is how I made my hybrid tips:

1. Gather materials

2. Insert foam in tips; insert washer and beveled stopper on tip (made it from some Koss tips circa 2006)

4. Insert tips

Used this setup downtown today, works very well. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:08 PM Post #8,159 of 22,946
Still trying different tips but I think I'm about done. Westone Stars are excellent but right now I'm finding Comply Professional series p100 to be the best. Amazing isolation and seal. . But you have to be careful not to insert too far as it blocks the sound. Either one is probably good as it's going to get. Aside from SCS which I dont really want to get into

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:22 PM Post #8,160 of 22,946
As an update, I am really loving the Westone Star tips, these seal the deal with the JVC (copper?) cable attached. The cable definetly adds more warmth and smoothness as opposed to the stock cable, creating a similar sound signature as the FX 850s. The tips maintain the intrinsic clarity of the iems.

I am thinking of upgrading my Jvc cable to a higher quality copper cable. I see there are 93 spec and double helix ones. Any advice on which brand is better? I am very new to the cable world so advice would be awesome.

I take back all of the negative things I said a few posts ago about these headphones. They are blissful. I literally teared up the other night listing to my music...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back