Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 11, 2014 at 3:09 AM Post #8,176 of 22,954
I'm back to the blues. I never thought I'd say this, but the whites were too energetic- too clear- too detailed- and I couldn't concentrate on my work while listening to them.

Lol! Maybe on a weekend..

I'm also back to the blue filter. The overall frequency balance with the white filter might be more neutral, but the mids sound flatter with the blue for some strange reason.

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #8,177 of 22,954
I'm also back to the blue filter. The overall frequency balance with the white filter might be more neutral, but the mids sound flatter with the blue for some strange reason.

I don't believe what you're hearing is flat. It probably has more to do with how much brighter the white filter is, which does really enhances clarity, but at the same time it could make certain tracks sound harsh. That's just the trade-off you have to make.

Dec 11, 2014 at 4:34 AM Post #8,178 of 22,954
... and I'm back to the whites again.

I have to say, Dinerenblanc hit it on its head with my other sources. Except that's not what I'm hearing with the Chord Hugo. With the whites and the Hugo, I hear more dynamics, more PraT, more clarity- but no harshness whatsoever. It's a really fun sound, and I love it.

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:10 AM Post #8,179 of 22,954

I have to say, Dinerenblanc hit it on its head with my other sources. Except that's not what I'm hearing with the Chord Hugo. With the whites and the Hugo, I hear more dynamics, more PraT, more clarity- but no harshness whatsoever. It's a really fun sound, and I love it.

is there any hiss? i read a lot of complain on hugo+se846 combo

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:46 AM Post #8,180 of 22,954

is there any hiss? i read a lot of complain on hugo+se846 combo

The background is not pitch black, but I wouldn't call it hiss either. And when there's music playing, you don't hear it at all. In fact, it sounds much more refined- with much less noise- than any of my other portables.

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #8,181 of 22,954
Thx @moedawg140 for your thorough information about SCS.
May I know how much you paid for your SCS? I still hesitate to pull the trigger though. I'm a foreigner and can't speak the native language fluently here in Germany. I'm afraid something goes wrong during my ear impression. I think I will stay put with my westone star tips :). It's comfortable enough for me so far.

Finally, I can get SE846 in my possession :). Thx to @Dopaminer, who sold it to me. It's kinda your loss, LOL just kidding.

I haven't got enough time with it to give impression. But off the top of my head, I would say the bass and clarity of 8s is better than my previous iem, which is sony EX1000. One thing for sure, the sibilance is gone from my music on SE846 ha3, as opposed to the music on my EX1K. Well, it was expected, since EX1K is truly bright, the brightest I've ever heard I would say. 

Currently, I'm using the westone silicon star tips, the blue ones to be more precise. Regarding the filter, at first I tried the blue one. It sounds quite flat for me, so I changed to the white one since I read a lot of compliments about it. I guess I need to follow the common opinion, I love the white one :).

I'm still considering to upgrade the cable with the headphone lounge cable. But the price feels quite expensive for me. Please don't convince me so I won't need to pull money out of my wallet again ;p

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:33 PM Post #8,182 of 22,954
anybody ever think about recasing the se846s to make custom iem? i'm a personal owner of the se846s I love them I got them for a steal for 500 brand new and couldnt resist! been a forum lurker for a long time so yay here's my first post! also any suggestions for different cable alternatives I'm in the process of purchasing an hpl carbide iem hybrid wire cable for a 100 because the seller says he likes treble and the wire boosts the bass and makes the treble a bit muddy on his se846s. any info would help im such a noob on cables and audiophilia in general like the impact on sound of occ or hybrid or spc wires makes my head spin lol  

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:41 PM Post #8,183 of 22,954
anybody ever think about recasing the se846s to make custom iem? i'm a personal owner of the se846s I love them I got them for a steal for 500 brand new and couldnt resist! been a forum lurker for a long time so yay here's my first post! also any suggestions for different cable alternatives I'm in the process of purchasing an hpl carbide iem hybrid wire cable for a 100 because the seller says he likes treble and the wire boosts the bass and makes the treble a bit muddy on his se846s. any info would help im such a noob on cables and audiophilia in general like the impact on sound of occ or hybrid or spc wires makes my head spin lol  

Probably a tough task given how the steel plate system is set up. I doubt any company would take to time to engineer a custom shell that would retain the bass performance those plates provides.

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:47 PM Post #8,184 of 22,954
Probably a tough task given how the steel plate system is set up. I doubt any company would take to time to engineer a custom shell that would retain the bass performance those plates provides.

i figured but makes me sad to hear because even with the foam tips my right ear doesnt get the same comfortable fit as my left which bothers me a little T_T im guessing you own the se846s as well whats your setup with them? I run it through a fiio e17 connected with a zy hifi copper/silver hybrid aux cord to my ipod

Dec 11, 2014 at 2:52 PM Post #8,186 of 22,954
  Thx @moedawg140 for your thorough information about SCS.
May I know how much you paid for your SCS? I still hesitate to pull the trigger though. I'm a foreigner and can't speak the native language fluently here in Germany. I'm afraid something goes wrong during my ear impression. I think I will stay put with my westone star tips :). It's comfortable enough for me so far.

Finally, I can get SE846 in my possession :). Thx to @Dopaminer, who sold it to me. It's kinda your loss, LOL just kidding.

I haven't got enough time with it to give impression. But off the top of my head, I would say the bass and clarity of 8s is better than my previous iem, which is sony EX1000. One thing for sure, the sibilance is gone from my music on SE846 ha3, as opposed to the music on my EX1K. Well, it was expected, since EX1K is truly bright, the brightest I've ever heard I would say. 

Currently, I'm using the westone silicon star tips, the blue ones to be more precise. Regarding the filter, at first I tried the blue one. It sounds quite flat for me, so I changed to the white one since I read a lot of compliments about it. I guess I need to follow the common opinion, I love the white one :).

I'm still considering to upgrade the cable with the headphone lounge cable. But the price feels quite expensive for me. Please don't convince me so I won't need to pull money out of my wallet again ;p

Happy to help.  I paid the most out of anyone who has purchased the SCS, as for everything was about $300 (I explain why in my review [in my signature]), however, I have read as low as $170 for everything.  It really depends on the audiologist, fee for impressions, and shipping/customs fee that will factor into the entire price.  Regarding ear impressions, as long as the audiologist follows the .pdf, you shouldn't have any issues with ear impressions.  If the Westone STAR tips are sufficient for you, then that is great!  However, if you have any specific questions regarding the entire SCS process, you can email Claudia from Sensaphonics (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com), or PM me, and I can help you as best as I can.

Regarding the HL cable, Ted's cables are actually some of the more affordable (especially Silver Litz) in the custom cable aftermarket.  If you are happy with your stock cable, then there is no need to upgrade to a third-party custom cable.

Hi, KeuNamoo,

Currently the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves are the silicone CIEM equivalent of the Shure series.  It's great because you can have the CIEM experience, and sell the compatible Shure model(s) if you need to in the future.  My review is below (in my signature) if you want to read up on it a little more.

There are many cables and cable companies to choose from, and I'm sure people here will chime in with their favorites.  I have listened to my fair share of aftermarket cables, and I wound up with the Silver Litz from Ted Allen (headphonelounge.com).  He is currently out due to hip replacement surgery, but should be back working by New Year's Day.  Dinerenblanc has several links for different cable companies a page back as well, if you would like to browse those cable aftermarket companies also.

Good luck! 

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:11 PM Post #8,187 of 22,954

Don't say that!!

I'm hoping that the whites with Hugo are better than whites with SGS4 which were peaky, even a shade harsh...

Dec 11, 2014 at 3:13 PM Post #8,188 of 22,954

Happy to help.  I paid the most out of anyone who has purchased the SCS, as for everything was about $300 (I explain why in my review [in my signature]), however, I have read as low as $170 for everything.  It really depends on the audiologist, fee for impressions, and shipping/customs fee that will factor into the entire price.  Regarding ear impressions, as long as the audiologist follows the .pdf, you shouldn't have any issues with ear impressions.  If the Westone STAR tips are sufficient for you, then that is great!  However, if you have any specific questions regarding the entire SCS process, you can email Claudia from Sensaphonics (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com), or PM me, and I can help you as best as I can.

Regarding the HL cable, Ted's cables are actually some of the more affordable (especially Silver Litz) in the custom cable aftermarket.  If you are happy with your stock cable, then there is no need to upgrade to a third-party custom cable.

Hi, KeuNamoo,

Currently the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves are the silicone CIEM equivalent of the Shure series.  It's great because you can have the CIEM experience, and sell the compatible Shure model(s) if you need to in the future.  My review is below (in my signature) if you want to read up on it a little more.

There are many cables and cable companies to choose from, and I'm sure people here will chime in with their favorites.  I have listened to my fair share of aftermarket cables, and I wound up with the Silver Litz from Ted Allen (headphonelounge.com).  He is currently out due to hip replacement surgery, but should be back working by New Year's Day.  Dinerenblanc has several links for different cable companies a couple of pages back as well, if you would like to browse those cable aftermarket companies also.

Good luck! 

thanks so much for your input i was meaning to read all the posts but having like a half an hour before work and having just found this post 546 pages seemed a bit much to go through atm haha :p sorry for being redundant

Dec 11, 2014 at 4:00 PM Post #8,189 of 22,954
Yes, have to say also that white filter & Hugo works well :)

Dec 11, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #8,190 of 22,954
Yes, have to say also that white filter & Hugo works well
smily_headphones1.gif

Does everyone own a Hugo now? 
blink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back