Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #8,131 of 22,946
  I envy you. 
frown.gif
 Sadly, a purchase as big as the Chord Hugo is out of the question for me at the moment. 

Honestly, they are so good that I feel an impulsive urge to sell every other portable amp and source I have at the moment. Every last one. The only way I can put this is this is the first source that basically sounds like my desktop source. Every other one was 'good, for a portable'.

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:33 PM Post #8,132 of 22,946
  I envy you. 
frown.gif
 Sadly, a purchase as big as the Chord Hugo is out of the question for me at the moment. 

Too bad you can't come to CanJam in a few months to try it out yourself.  Also, the Out Of Your Head Software from Darin Fong Audio is something to experience as well: https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:34 PM Post #8,133 of 22,946

Honestly, they are so good that I feel an impulsive urge to sell every other portable amp and source I have at the moment. Every last one. The only way I can put this is this is the first source that basically sounds like my desktop source. Every other one was 'good, for a portable'.

I agree.  If I was in the market for a DAC/amp, this would be on my short list.  I would find some way to get it.  Ramen for a month, get sponsorships (for the Hugo, of course), something.

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #8,134 of 22,946

Too bad you can't come to CanJam in a few months to try it out yourself.  Also, the Out Of Your Head Software from Darin Fong Audio is something to experience as well: https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/

Interesting stuff. I'll definitely take a longer look into it later. And yeah, it most definitely is a shame. 
frown.gif

Well, I suppose there's a reason the asking price is almost $2500. haha If you don't mind me asking, what other portable amps do you own?

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:37 PM Post #8,135 of 22,946

How does this work? Does it integrate with Foobar for computer audio?

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:39 PM Post #8,136 of 22,946
  How does this work? Does it integrate with Foobar for computer audio?

Not sure.  I would email Darin for specifics.  All that I know is that it was installed in different PC setups, as I listened to my demo through a Surface Pro 2.  Sounded amazeballs.

Dec 8, 2014 at 11:57 PM Post #8,140 of 22,946

All this talk about sleep and the se846...can't help but chime in.  I have woken up with these in my ears and music playing far too many times.  But then again, I often fall asleep sitting down, curled up on the floor, and every possible position in between (once, even spread out on the landing of the stairs - no alcohol involved - promise!).  Fact is when you don't get enough of the good REM stuff, it's amazing where (and how easily) the zzzz's take over.  
As they say, YMMV :wink:

Haha Unfortunately, I'm a relatively light sleeper, but I do listen to music when I head to bed, but at very low volumes, which renders using the SE846 pointless. 

Dec 9, 2014 at 3:01 AM Post #8,141 of 22,946
  Careful, jelt. If you use it along with your Chord Hugo and the SE846, you might enter the 5th dimension, never to be seen again. 

I tried it. Honestly, I've never listened to music out of speakers in my life. I have a HT set up very focused on bass + mids (impact + ability to hear what's going on), but not for music. So, while I could hear the awesome soundstage and airiness with the "Out of Your Head" software, I didn't like it. I prefer the intimacy of the headphone/ earphone sound.

Interestingly, when I first got it to run, I was grinning from ear to ear- so good! But then I realised I had misconfigured the software, and it was just running out of my Chord Hugo in normal mode. Oops. Score another one for the Chord Hugo, I guess.

Dec 9, 2014 at 9:24 AM Post #8,143 of 22,946
  Interesting stuff. I'll definitely take a longer look into it later. And yeah, it most definitely is a shame. 
frown.gif

Well, I suppose there's a reason the asking price is almost $2500. haha If you don't mind me asking, what other portable amps do you own?

Portaphile 627. iQube. RSA Protector. Apex Glacier. Vorzuge. TTVJ MHP. HM801. HM901. iBasso D10. C&C TU.

Dec 9, 2014 at 10:54 AM Post #8,144 of 22,946

Portaphile 627. iQube. RSA Protector. Apex Glacier. Vorzuge. TTVJ MHP. HM801. HM901. iBasso D10. C&C TU.

Wow!!!
Unknowingly, you have just brightened my day on and otherwise Nor'easter morning 
smile.gif

In 2007, I had lent my wife my Cesar's Portaphile V2.2 and Tyll's Headroom MicroDAC which she probably used it for 10 minutes.

Because of your post, my dead brain cells came alive and said, "Hey, wait, I have some of those!". Underneath my wife's fuzzy animal collection,
there they sat, preserved and still plugged in under the bed.

Now I have a whole new set of toys to play/experiment with. The thrill of the chase, lives! Thanks for that.

I also pulled out my iBasso D10, but the headphone plug is pushed in and flaky.

Dec 9, 2014 at 11:10 AM Post #8,145 of 22,946
Wow!!!
Unknowingly, you have just brightened my day on and otherwise Nor'easter morning :smile:

In 2007, I had lent my wife my Cesar's Portaphile V2.2 and Tyll's Headroom MicroDAC which she probably used it for 10 minutes.

Because of your post, my dead brain cells came alive and said, "Hey, wait, I have some of those!". Underneath my wife's fuzzy animal collection,
there they sat, preserved and still plugged in under the bed.

Now I have a whole new set of toys to play/experiment with. The thrill of the chase, lives! Thanks for that.

I also pulled out my iBasso D10, but the headphone plug is pushed in and flaky.

Hahah. As I was typing that, I had the same thought- some of these are pretty old by the standards here, and I wasn't sure if anyone would remember them! My d10 is actually a China local set ("miniaudio", which was ibasso's original name) with blackgate caps. I think "miniaudio" existed for like a few months at most. Good ole times :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back