Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2014 at 1:53 PM Post #8,101 of 22,946
yeah, the problem is i haven't found any provider that has a working relationship with sensaphonic. i even contacted elacin since the sensaphonic's website says they work together, but elacin emailed me back tellling that they can't make custom sleeve for all shure iem except se846.

Huh? I thought you were trying to get a SCS for the 846?

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:17 PM Post #8,104 of 22,946
Hang in there.  I was initially underwhelmed (with identical sources), but my appreciation of these IEMs continues to grow by the day.  Gave up on the macbook as a source some time ago, using the iPhone 5S w/Spotify 320 exclusively now.  Tried multiple tips and of course filters.  Settled on the medium Shure olives for their comfort, isolation, and impact on the sound; switch between the blue and white filters depending on my mood and genre. 
One of these days, i plan to post my thoughts on this evolutionary process.  All i will say for now is that the journey has been well worth it.  And the regulars on this thread are the nicest people, which makes the experience that much more enjoyable!

Ill hang in there for a bit.

These are so incredibly accurate that I can't seem to find myself "enjoying" them that much (at least at the 1k price). I don't bob my head or feel like singing along compared to the fx 850s. I dont melt away into the music.

There is less of an experience with the 846 and more of "hear every single detail clearly and completely accurately with 100% balanced sound".

Of course this is subjective and not everyone wants to bob their head. Not sure if this makes any sense lol.

Dec 8, 2014 at 2:24 PM Post #8,105 of 22,946

These are so incredibly accurate that I can't seem to find myself "enjoying" them that much (at least at the 1k price). I don't bob my head or feel like singing along compared to the fx 850s. I dont melt away into the music.

There is less of an experience with the 846 and more of "hear every single detail clearly and completely accurately with 100% balanced sound".

Of course this is subjective and not everyone wants to bob their head. Not sure if this makes any sense lol.

Perhaps you should stop trying to listen to every detail and just enjoy it? lol Frankly, I sometimes get goosebumps when I listen to my 846. Its lushness really brings out the best of some of my tracks. Listen to Iron by Woodkid and tell me you don't get the same feeling. 
tongue_smile.gif
 But of course, ymmv. Anyway, have you tried different tips? Westone's star tips really does a lot for the SE846. I thought I had a good seal with my Shure olives, but the Star tips are better by far. Here's the track I mentioned by the way, although I wouldn't listen to it out of your Macbook. 

Dec 8, 2014 at 3:43 PM Post #8,108 of 22,946

I'm considering to get the scs also. But i'm living in Germany. Could you elaborate more about the process of making scs? from my understanding so far, i can get an impression by an audiologist, and i or they will send the impression to sensaphonic. The last step is sensaphonic sending the scs back to me. isn't it correct?

I even don't know what an audilogists' jobs are truly like ha3... please enlighten me

Hi, ridicul0us.  Since you are living in Germany, the best process would be to:

1.  Read my review below (in my signature) to familiarize yourself with the Sensaphonics Custom Sleeves.
2.  Have an audiologist in your area create ear impressions of your entire ears, using the .pdf here: http://www.sensaphonics.com/Ear%20Impressions%20How2.pdf
3.  Email Claudia (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com) so she can discuss with you colors/swirls, shipping/customs fees, average time to wait, etc.  
4.  Since you are living in Germany, you will need to send Sensaphonics (Chicago, IL, USA) the impressions.
5.  Wait about three weeks up to a week or two more for customs to clear, to receive your SCS.

Yep, correct. Although I believe some also willing to send them in for you if they have a working relationship with Sensaphonics.

Since ridicul0us lives in Germany, ridicul0us will need to send in the impressions to Sensaphonics his/herself.

yeah, the problem is i haven't found any provider that has a working relationship with sensaphonic. i even contacted elacin since the sensaphonic's website says they work together, but elacin emailed me back tellling that they can't make custom sleeve for all shure iem except se846.

Germany is not a country that has a working relationship with Sensaphonics, however, you can still receive the same service as if you lived in the U.S. except you will not be able to use a Sensaphonics Gold Audiologist, but is not absolutely necessary, as long as your audiologist takes the impressions of your ears using the .pdf above.

oops. i meant they can make all but se846 XD

Per Claudia, Elacin does not make Shure sleeves (for the SE846).  I updated the post from earlier: http://www.head-fi.org/t/675219/shure-se846-impressions-thread/8085#post_11111377

That's so nice of you. thx. or perhaps do you have her email so I can ask directly ?. thx~!.

You can email Claudia at:  saveyourears@sensaphonics.com.  She will help you, and her service is exemplary.

If you have any questions, please feel free to PM me, and you can post in the SCS review thread also, as questions and answers benefit the entire community.  Pictures of the finished product would be nice as well.

Good luck! 
bigsmile_face.gif

Dec 8, 2014 at 7:12 PM Post #8,109 of 22,946

I have not posted here in a while but your comments remind me why after 18 months I still love the 8s. My entire rig is designed to enhance the clarity, sparkle and tonality of the 8s (silver litz cables, white filter, lossless music and a balanced amplifer).

In the beginning it may seem all you hear is the details but with time and repeated plays you will get lost in the music and the character of the 8s will make itself known.

Like Dinerenblanc, when listening to very familiar songs I still have moments where I stop what I am doing and get goosebumps as the beauty of the music reminds me what the 8s can accomplish. When you are able to "step back" and just see the forest from the trees, the wholistic presentation of the SE846 is a stunning one. It just takes time and your patience will be rewarded.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:35 PM Post #8,111 of 22,946
Oh gawd, no one would want that...  :D

So it turns out the tips make the difference.

I was originally using the grey silicone tips. But those have such tiny bores so i switched to the black foamies.

The sound really opens up with deeper bass and impact.

However, the clarity takes a hit.

Are there solicone wide bore tips that work for these?

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:40 PM Post #8,112 of 22,946

I was originally using the grey silicone tips. But those have such tiny bores so i switched to the black foamies.

The Westone Star tips are exactly what you're looking for. They have a trumpet shape at the end of the bore. I've been A/B testing tips since I got the 8's months ago and I still like the Westones the best. Bass quantity goes down a bit, bass quality goes up. Highs sound the best to me with them also. IMO tips make a bigger difference than stock -> silver cable and black -> white filter, combined, to my ears.

Dec 8, 2014 at 9:47 PM Post #8,113 of 22,946

The grey silicone tips are atrocious. Never use them. As for the best silicone tips, get the Westone Star tips. They're not the widest, but the bore does widen at the opening. It's definitely enough to give you both impact and clarity. I've attached a comparison photo below. Note that these are the LARGE tips, so the hole might not appear as big as they actually are. Additionally, I do NOT recommend Westone's foam tips. They're far too tight for the SE846 because of how dense they are and would become stuck if you try to force them down. I'm just letting you know in case you purchase the kit that includes the foam tips. 

http://www.amazon.com/Westone-STAR-Silicone-Universal-Earphones/dp/B00DBAM0CM

Users who are viewing this thread

Back