Shure SE846 Impressions Thread
Dec 8, 2014 at 12:40 AM Post #8,086 of 22,946
Makes sense. Some other headphones I have- like the RE600- have excellent coherency. The SE846, I keep mainly for the glorious bass, the speed, and the mids. As another poster put it, the 846 are a pair I would never wear to bed- just not possible.

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:43 AM Post #8,087 of 22,946
  Makes sense. Some other headphones I have- like the RE600- have excellent coherency. The SE846, I keep mainly for the glorious bass, the speed, and the mids. As another poster put it, the 846 are a pair I would never wear to bed- just not possible.

There are many reasons I wouldn't sleep with em. Just thinking about all the mildew and lint that would collect around the MMCX connector is off-putting enough. I'm also a very restless sleeper, never know what would happen to them while I'm tossing and turning. lol

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:47 AM Post #8,088 of 22,946
  There are many reasons I wouldn't sleep with em. Just thinking about all the mildew and lint that would collect around the MMCX connector is off-putting enough. I'm also a very restless sleeper, never know what would happen to them while I'm tossing and turning. lol

I meant the sound

Dec 8, 2014 at 12:50 AM Post #8,089 of 22,946
  I meant the sound

I know, I was just giving another reason why I wouldn't sleep with them on. 
tongue_smile.gif
 The sound is intimate and powerful to ever put me to sleep. lol

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:38 AM Post #8,090 of 22,946
Well, that commute was a pleasant experience (the first of many I am sure!) - compared to IE800...

much better isolation, no cable noise, and - most importantly, a nice rich and deep sound...

Happy times - Just wish I'd have committed a few months ago, but - means I'll have to do plenty of listening to music to catch-up with the time I've missed :)

Dec 8, 2014 at 4:55 AM Post #8,091 of 22,946
Well, that commute was a pleasant experience (the first of many I am sure!) - compared to IE800...

much better isolation, no cable noise, and - most importantly, a nice rich and deep sound...

Happy times - Just wish I'd have committed a few months ago, but - means I'll have to do plenty of listening to music to catch-up with the time I've missed
smily_headphones1.gif

Very nice, glad you are having quite the positive experience with the SE846.  What are your favorite filters so far (assuming you have tried at least the black, blue and white filters)?

Dec 8, 2014 at 5:37 AM Post #8,092 of 22,946
I'm stuck with the blue filters, which is odd, having come from the IE800, however - to me, the black filters are too dark, and the white filters, they add a little spike / sibilance that I'm not happy with [at the moment, although that was only tried for a short time, with a couple of tracks - will have a proper play over the Xmas period]...

Blue filters do, at the moment, seem to be pretty darned spot-on :)

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:23 AM Post #8,093 of 22,946
I'm stuck with the blue filters, which is odd, having come from the IE800, however - to me, the black filters are too dark, and the white filters, they add a little spike / sibilance that I'm not happy with [at the moment, although that was only tried for a short time, with a couple of tracks - will have a proper play over the Xmas period]...

Blue filters do, at the moment, seem to be pretty darned spot-on
smily_headphones1.gif

Okay, cool.  If you do not like the blacks at all and do not see yourself ever using them, you can mod them by using an object like a paper clip to remove the foam dampers from the filters.  A few members (and I) have reported the modded blacks have a perceived difference in SQ compared to the white filters. Your mileage may vary.  

If you ever get the chance (not trying to up-sell you or anything), take a listen of Ted's Silver Litz.  He is currently getting hip replacement surgery and should be back around New Year's Day.  Most people in this thread like the upgrade, but of course your mileage may vary, and my thoughts of it are below (in my signature).  Ted can send a cable of your choice to you as a demo, so why not try it out?  
beerchug.gif
 (Passion fruit, grape and orange smoothie with popping yogurt and honey boba in my glass)

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:31 AM Post #8,094 of 22,946
Definitely interested in the silver litz, so will have a think about that early in the new year - like you say, no harm in demo-ing :)

I'm also interested in the Sensaphonic sleeves you've mentioned, although - being in the UK, my nearest place for impressions is Ireland - that could be a little complicated! (will look into it, as I'm hoping that I could get impressions done anywhere, and just sent to them!)

...Also, I'll check out re the black filters, like you say, the odds of me using them are far less than what me using the white filters would be, so - if I could jury rig the blacks into something more useful, more power to me...

Thanks - looking forward to squeezing even more out of these :)

Dec 8, 2014 at 6:52 AM Post #8,095 of 22,946
Definitely interested in the silver litz, so will have a think about that early in the new year - like you say, no harm in demo-ing :)

I'm also interested in the Sensaphonic sleeves you've mentioned, although - being in the UK, my nearest place for impressions is Ireland - that could be a little complicated! (will look into it, as I'm hoping that I could get impressions done anywhere, and just sent to them!)

...Also, I'll check out re the black filters, like you say, the odds of me using them are far less than what me using the white filters would be, so - if I could jury rig the blacks into something more useful, more power to me...

No worries Duncan, happy to help.  

You can technically have any [COLOR=222222]audiologist in the world create impressions for you as long as they follow the directions in the .pdf here:  [/COLOR]http://www.sensaphonics.com/Ear%20Impressions%20How2.pdf.  You[COLOR=222222] can also contact Claudia at Senaphonics (saveyourears@sensaphonics.com), and she would help you out fully regarding the entire process like shipping/customs fees, color selection, and the like.  Feel free to read the review below (in my signature) at your leisure as it explains (somewhat) a lot regarding the custom sleeves.  You can PM me as well if you have any questions. 

Edit: Elacin doesn't make the Shure sleeves. Also, Claudia sent me the Sensaphonics audiologists in the UK:

-Hearing Healthcare Robert Bieny #011-44-(0)1582-767218
-Harley Street Hearing (Musician's Hearing Services) Paul Checkley #020-7486-1053[/COLOR]

Dec 8, 2014 at 8:02 AM Post #8,096 of 22,946
  ….And the regulars on this thread are the nicest people, which makes the experience that much more enjoyable!

How dare you call us nice!!! Who do you think you are???
evil_smiley.gif

We resemble that remark 
tongue.gif

I know, I was just giving another reason why I wouldn't sleep with them on. 
tongue_smile.gif
 The sound is intimate and powerful to ever put me to sleep. lol

Every time I used to wear my R-10's (sitting in front of my setup), I used to fall asleep before the end of the first song. 
eek.gif

Each time I would start on the next song just to get through the album, eventually. It was so satiating that it triggered a sense of calm in me.

...Happy times - Just wish I'd have committed a few months ago, but - means I'll have to do plenty of listening to music to catch-up with the time I've missed
smily_headphones1.gif

Today is the first day of the rest of your listening life….

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:07 PM Post #8,097 of 22,946
How dare you call us nice!!! Who do you think you are???:evil:

We resemble that remark :p

Every time I used to wear my R-10's (sitting in front of my setup), I used to fall asleep before the end of the first song. :eek:

Each time I would start on the next song just to get through the album, eventually. It was so satiating that it triggered a sense of calm in me.

Today is the first day of the rest of your listening life….

Haha the only IEM I've fallen asleep in thus far is the SE215.

Ditto what MoeDawg said. You can get your impressions done by any audiologist, of which there should be plenty in the UK, just have to find one that's reputable and has done them often. However, a trip to Ireland would be nice. Go there, grab yourself a Guiness and have your ear impressions done. :wink:

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM Post #8,098 of 22,946
Haha the only IEM I've fallen asleep in thus far is the SE215.
Ditto what MoeDawg said. You can get your impressions done by any audiologist, of which there should be plenty in the UK, just have to find one that's reputable and has done them often. However, a trip to Ireland would be nice. Go there, grab yourself a Guiness and have your ear impressions done.
wink.gif

I'm considering to get the scs also. But i'm living in Germany. Could you elaborate more about the process of making scs? from my understanding so far, i can get an impression by an audiologist, and i or they will send the impression to sensaphonic. The last step is sensaphonic sending the scs back to me. isn't it correct?

I even don't know what an audilogists' jobs are truly like ha3... please enlighten me

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:36 PM Post #8,099 of 22,946
I'm considering to get the scs also. But i'm living in Germany. Could you elaborate more about the process of making scs? from my understanding so far, i can get an impression by an audiologist, and i or they will send the impression to sensaphonic. The last step is sensaphonic sending the scs back to me. isn't it correct?

Yep, correct. Although I believe some also willing to send them in for you if they have a working relationship with Sensaphonics.

Dec 8, 2014 at 1:41 PM Post #8,100 of 22,946
Yep, correct. Although I believe some also willing to send them in for you if they have a working relationship with Sensaphonics.

yeah, the problem is i haven't found any provider that has a working relationship with sensaphonic. i even contacted elacin since the sensaphonic's website says they work together, but elacin emailed me back tellling that they can't make custom sleeve for all shure iem except se846.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back