Shure KSE1500 Review - Shure KSE1500 Sound Isolating Electrostatic Earphones
Nov 2, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #496 of 6,081
mmmm......+1 however, as some have already pointed out the detachable cable makes it much easier to replace the stock cable in case it malfunctions. Think of the hassle of sending back your entire unit to Shure through your dealer  just to have the cable replaced.

That is kind of why detachable cables were implemented in the first place in general. Not sure why people are bringing up obvious info like this.

Now, with regard to Shure, there are 2 possibilities I can think of as to why they didn't make the cables detachable. Either 1) In the designing process (Jude said it started 8-10 years ago?) Detachable cables might not have been common, so shure designed the system around a fixed cable design, and stuck with it. Or, 2) the detachable cable needed would add unnecessary cost, be proprietary, and increase points of failure in the system.

Whatever the case, Shure had their own reasons, and this is the result. I have no doubt that the cable would hold up under normal use. And by normal I mean treating this thing like a newborn. A $3000 newborn made out of plastic and metal that can fit in your pocket.

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:40 AM Post #497 of 6,081
Will you really be hearing a difference with 24/192 against 24/96? I mean c'mon, you're buying a pair of these for yourself or your pet robot?
I think the fact the cable isn't detachable is a far bigger problem.

Nov 2, 2015 at 1:44 AM Post #498 of 6,081
I've been thinking about the detachable cables about these KSE1500 and one thing to bear in mind is that these electrostats have about 200V bias. If there's a connector small enough, I wonder if there's any concerns or arc-ing? I'm not electrical expert here but I do know that the large Stax with their high voltages could be susceptible to arc-ing if the traces are close to each other. Whether these KSE1500's with their 200V are susceptible to arcing with open connectors or not, I don't know.

Just thinking out aloud.

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:21 AM Post #499 of 6,081
  Will you really be hearing a difference with 24/192 against 24/96? I mean c'mon, you're buying a pair of these for yourself or your pet robot?
I think the fact the cable isn't detachable is a far bigger problem.

Yes. You just need good material and your ducks in row which is unfortunately pretty rare. Don't even need golden ears. You may have your own thoughts on it but unless you've heard the best kit and files, an opinion on format will be limited. Using a USB DAC, those differences are negligible as are some others so I understand why many don't get it. Also why what Shure is doing is good enough for sound but nobody wants to convert existing files. It should do 24/192 and DSD even if it converts both to 96 on the fly before playback.

That said, 24/96 is plenty good, especially for portable. The issue is marketing and required file conversion to play one's 24/192 or DSD files. I couldn't care less about DSD but it's strong in the affluent end of the Asian market where this should also be a big hit. It could limit their sales but it's saved a bit by the analog throughput. This client likely already has something with a line out that plays all his files.
ksc75smile.gif

Nov 2, 2015 at 3:30 AM Post #500 of 6,081
  I've been thinking about the detachable cables about these KSE1500 and one thing to bear in mind is that these electrostats have about 200V bias. If there's a connector small enough, I wonder if there's any concerns or arc-ing? I'm not electrical expert here but I do know that the large Stax with their high voltages could be susceptible to arc-ing if the traces are close to each other. Whether these KSE1500's with their 200V are susceptible to arcing with open connectors or not, I don't know.

Just thinking out aloud.

It could be done pretty easily but it does add bulk. Really just a squatter 3 pin version of what they are doing at the other end but with the female on the cable. 

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:19 AM Post #501 of 6,081

I am the one playing these concerts:wink:,no it doesn't sound like this but it doesn't stop me from thinking this is an amazing project, why are they not doing this stuff here in Europe.I just got the newest Berlin Phil Sibelius symphonies recording and whilst its a great playing, the recording side is a bit on the "boring"side..so there

Hey soundblast75, thanks for chiming in!
smile_phones.gif

As someone who's usually on the consumer side when it comes to music, it's always interesting for me to talk to those who actually play these concerts. As for why they don't do stuff like this here in Europe, I imagine our long-established and rather conservative labels would probably think of such "souped-up" recordings as cheating rather than artistic freedom, no?

Oh,im sorry, I didn't mean I play on that particular recording, but playing in Symphony orchestras is what I do, I have performed Rite of Spring, Firebird etc many times with different bands from Royal Phil to English National Ballet. While it always sounds exciting, especially those drum bits are nothing like that recording, but I am a huge fan of what they've done and the playing is fantastic, not just a technically brilliant recording.most other performances of Stravinsky sound dull to me now :blush:

I agree, it sounds spectacular and I like it too. But they probably shouldn't call themselves Reference Recordings then. 
wink.gif

In other news, I might get a chance to hear the KSE1500 myself soon. As a huge fan of the Orpheus, I'm pretty excited to say the least.

Nov 2, 2015 at 7:36 AM Post #502 of 6,081
Nov 2, 2015 at 9:10 AM Post #503 of 6,081

Just thinking out aloud.

That is an excellent point actually. Especially with mmcx connectors, which Shure uses, which do get some wobble over time, as well as corrosion (3yrs with the se215s did that, and corrosion on a $3k IEM would be disastrous). Kind of cool how the IEM has a wire carrying 200V.

If they really wanted detachable cables, they'd probably be even more expensive, and would require a proprietary connector, just like the one to the amp.

Nov 2, 2015 at 10:34 AM Post #505 of 6,081
I'm guessing that everyone who is ok with non-detachable cables never had a Shure SE-500 fail on them and then had to deal with Shure's customer support. Cost me several hundred dollars to get mine replaced when it failed (they don't repair them, only replace). Twice.

Nov 2, 2015 at 5:23 PM Post #506 of 6,081
Bare in mind this is a world first round electrostatic cable invented by Shure, therefore the design will be protected by patent. 

A third party cable company would need to require the licensing rights from Shure to manufacturer and sell this type of cable and at a high retail price in order to make profit.

Nov 3, 2015 at 12:38 AM Post #508 of 6,081
Color me interested to learn more. I am quite content with my travel rig and not in the market but would love to audition these once they hit retailers.

I have noticed 2 areas of concern:

1. cables that are fixed. I have purchased after market cables silver, copper, silver litz, copper litz for all my phones and IEMs including my current K10s and Audezes. However, with electrostatics, I would rather have a SAFE and RELIABLE cable to handle that current. These cables are round vs. flat you see with stax and designed to perform differently. I have used SHURE warranty to handle issues and they have been top shelf. That works for me. I think people may be looking at these cables the same whay they do non-electrostats and forming opinions. This is really not apples:apples comparison.

2. Dac selected. My opinion is that music is the first priority. There is plenty of high fidelity garbage out there that was poorly mastered. On the other hand there is beautiful 16/44 that stands out as exceptional. I know everyone here knows that but it is worth repeating. Second, DAC implementation is as, if not more, important than DAC resolution. I have heard some BURR BROWN 16/44 DACS that sound far more musical than many DSD dacs on the market. I am more interested in learning what DAC chip was used and how well it was implemented. I have an ak240 and Chord HUGO and while it is nice to have headroom on resolution, I don't lose sight of DAC implentation.

Just my humble 2 pennies worth.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back