Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 10, 2012 at 3:55 AM Post #3,511 of 4,593
I wonder how well the Sony MDR-570lp's sound...according to headphonia they aren't totally garbage unlike what is usually the case with sony budget headphones. I've seen them go on sale a lot for $20 as well, maybe that is a good buy?

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #3,512 of 4,593
I'd like to thank ljokerl for this thread and specifically for the review on the V-MODA M-80, the description of the sound is spot on and helped me decide on them. I picked up a pair from Amazon ($158, too good of a price to pass up), and I can say I don't miss my departed DT1350 one bit. The DT's sounded too "clinical" over the long haul for me to truly enjoy them, while the M-80's come across as more musical, less closed-in sounding, great layering, fairly deep and punchy bass that doesn't creep into the full and somewhat forward mids.

It's now my favorite closed-back portable!

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:45 AM Post #3,513 of 4,593
i need some help guys , going on a trip to london , have never been there before , can anyone help me with some good headphones stores , im thinking of getting a ath-m50 and a superlux hd668 , help me guys , please ....

Oct 10, 2012 at 7:57 AM Post #3,514 of 4,593
Quote:
I got caught in the hysteria and have a pair of S500's on order. So I'm afraid to ask, but why are they not interesting to you? Just curious. Thanks.

Nah, you shouldn't be afraid to ask. :wink:

I'm concerned with mainly two things that held me back from buying the HA-S500 right away (because it actually looks quite stunning!):

1. Reading the different reviews and impressions it wasn't quite clear if the mids were just "not recessed" or "nice and lush"!? Some wrote that the HA-S500 is neutral with a tendency to be cold or at least not 'warm'. As mids are quite important for me I couldn't really ignore this potential 'flaw'.

2. I fear that it's not comfy for my ears because it'll be neither over-ear nor on-ear for me (big head, above average ears)... and I need headphones that are comfortable for 2+ hours.

Those were the main reasons. Perhaps I will give them a try in the future as they're dirt cheap and have perhaps an better sub-bass impact than the DTX501p - but that's just my guessing.

regards.
bearmann

Oct 10, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #3,515 of 4,593
Quote:
I wonder how well the Sony MDR-570lp's sound...according to headphonia they aren't totally garbage unlike what is usually the case with sony budget headphones. I've seen them go on sale a lot for $20 as well, maybe that is a good buy?

I wasn't impressed with the 770LP but the 570 could be much better for all I know.

Quote:
I'd like to thank ljokerl for this thread and specifically for the review on the V-MODA M-80, the description of the sound is spot on and helped me decide on them. I picked up a pair from Amazon ($158, too good of a price to pass up), and I can say I don't miss my departed DT1350 one bit. The DT's sounded too "clinical" over the long haul for me to truly enjoy them, while the M-80's come across as more musical, less closed-in sounding, great layering, fairly deep and punchy bass that doesn't creep into the full and somewhat forward mids.

It's now my favorite closed-back portable!

Glad to hear it! My M-80 is probably my most-used portable aside from the HD428 I keep at my computer. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 2:06 PM Post #3,518 of 4,593
Ok, quick question, Noontec Zoro or Sony ZX700 or JVC S500/400? Looking for sound quality, confort and isolation, Iisten to lots of metal (thrash, metalcore and speed metal mostly) and lots of alternative rock (seether, flyleaf, linkin park, hoobastank). Maybe other cans? Looking to spend something between 75 and 100 bucks and international availability.

Oct 11, 2012 at 3:43 PM Post #3,519 of 4,593
Quote:
Ok, quick question, Noontec Zoro or Sony ZX700 or JVC S500/400? Looking for sound quality, confort and isolation, Iisten to lots of metal (thrash, metalcore and speed metal mostly) and lots of alternative rock (seether, flyleaf, linkin park, hoobastank). Maybe other cans? Looking to spend something between 75 and 100 bucks and international availability.

man , i dont know any other brand which is more internationally available then sony . and the zx 700 are awesome for just $90 , never heard other two , but zx700 will get you some isolation , good meaning-ful bass ( doesnt go deep ) , forward mids and good highs , summing up to a good balanced sound , if this is what you are looking for then go for zx700 .

Oct 11, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #3,520 of 4,593
Quote:
What's a good smooth-sounding headphone that's not too heavy, easy to drive and isolates decently?

For a bit of context, M50 is too heavy but isolates decently.

Phiaton MS400 for smaller/more portable or Zony ZX700 for something much bigger but still lightweight and with a shorter cord than M50.

Quote:

I've only heard the ZX700 so I can't be of much help. It's not my favorite rock/metal can but it's good for <$100. I prefer the Denon DN-HP700 but it doesn't isolate quite as well. 

Oct 11, 2012 at 6:19 PM Post #3,521 of 4,593
Quote:

Phiaton MS400 for smaller/more portable or Sony ZX700 for something much bigger but still lightweight and with a shorter cord than M50.

light weight , may be not but lighter then srh440 and m50 .

Oct 11, 2012 at 9:08 PM Post #3,522 of 4,593

man , i dont know any other brand which is more internationally available then sony . and the zx 700 are awesome for just $90 , never heard other two , but zx700 will get you some isolation , good meaning-ful bass ( doesnt go deep ) , forward mids and good highs , summing up to a good balanced sound , if this is what you are looking for then go for zx700 .

You are right about sony, too bad that they only sell the lower zx (zx600,zx300 and zx100) I was refering to something that can be bought online internationally unlike the Grados that are very expensive or hard to buy internationally (Alessandro FTW!). The local bestbuy was selling the remain stock of the B&W p5 at something like 75 bucks, I phoned but unfortunatley they ran out in the stores that are relative close to me.
Quote:

Phiaton MS400 for smaller/more portable or Zony ZX700 for something much bigger but still lightweight and with a shorter cord than M50.

I've only heard the ZX700 so I can't be of much help. It's not my favorite rock/metal can but it's good for <$100. I prefer the Denon DN-HP700 but it doesn't isolate quite as well. 

I'll try to find a pair of ZX700 on ebay for less than 100 bucks. If not I think I would go for the zoro which are cheaper at $75

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:49 AM Post #3,523 of 4,593
As far as I understand the Sony DR-ZX701IP are the same as the ZX700 (only with added remote for iphone) and they can be found as low as USD 60 plus shipping on e-bay.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

Oct 12, 2012 at 7:24 AM Post #3,524 of 4,593
Quote:
As far as I understand the Sony DR-ZX701IP are the same as the ZX700 (only with added remote for iphone) and they can be found as low as USD 60 plus shipping on e-bay.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

nope nothing wrong . but is as that price suggest i wont believe that , may be fake or with out warranty or may be not . its nearly 40% off .

Oct 12, 2012 at 6:31 PM Post #3,525 of 4,593
Quote:

nope nothing wrong . but is as that price suggest i wont believe that , may be fake or with out warranty or may be not . its nearly 40% off .

A closer check at the listing shows it's "seller refurbsih" with 90 days warranty, that should explain it.

As far as I undersand this is a serious seller.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back