Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 6, 2012 at 1:11 AM Post #3,496 of 4,593
Quote:
Honestly, the PX-100 doesn't stand a chance. The DTX501p is better in every aspect - except in terms of comfort, because I can wear the PX-100 all day long without realizing it. The Beyers bass is significantly more accurate. The mids are better and not recessed. The PX-100 is nice for jogging or as backup cans, but you hear the price difference between the Senn and the Beyer.

I wouldn't be upset if you also got the JVC HA-S500 ($70) and compared it to the DTX501p for me :)

Oct 6, 2012 at 7:20 AM Post #3,497 of 4,593
Quote:

I wouldn't be upset if you also got the JVC HA-S500 ($70) and compared it to the DTX501p for me :)

Yeah, I can believe that. :wink: But the HA-S500 doesn't look very interesting to me. I think I'm quite covered with the DTX501p - at least for portable use.

Oct 7, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #3,498 of 4,593
Yeah, I can believe that. :wink: But the HA-S500 doesn't look very interesting to me. I think I'm quite covered with the DTX501p - at least for portable use.

I got caught in the hysteria and have a pair of S500's on order. So I'm afraid to ask, but why are they not interesting to you? Just curious. Thanks.

Oct 7, 2012 at 1:53 PM Post #3,499 of 4,593
Hi. 

I've been looking for good headphones for months. I'm disliking everything that gets thrown my way. I'm no major fan of lots of bass and i dislike most Skullcandy and also the Beats. I need headphones for when i'm going out and walking or for trains or while waiting for something or someone. In other words i'd like them to work with mobiles.

I listen to Progressive, Symphonic, Brutal Death, Cyber, Gothic, Experimental Metal. But more than metal i listen to Harsh EBM, Terror EBM, Aggrotech/Hellektro, Electro-Industrial, Dark Electro, Harsh Electro, Darkwave.... 

I'm extremely picky about the quality of sound. I hate rap/hip-hop/rock/Nu Metal, personal choice, nothing against anyone elses likes
tongue.gif
. Currently i own a pair of Sennheiser HD 201. They are beautiful but they don't give the bass i need. I want bass that comes when it should, not massive rumbling in my ears. I want a clear lows, highs and mids and bass that just punches, not overpowered. Just imagine HD201 with a clear punch. 
So, i've settled for the V-Moda M80s, is this a good choice? What do you think. Anyone with similar musical preferences who's tried them? 

Thanks

Cheers.

Oct 7, 2012 at 2:01 PM Post #3,500 of 4,593
I have heard the hd201 they sound pretty bad IMO, not to be rude, I own the AKG 518 LE (81 DJ) and even thought I find them dark, the bass is punchy and never overpowering, the v moda seems to be a better phone but I have never heard them, I you can I would sugest the Vmoda just for the looks and build quality, the noontec zoro seems to be a good little headphone with great bass but alas I haven't heard them, stay away from the lower end sony and sennheiser they all are pretty bad.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #3,501 of 4,593
You might be right, HD 201 don't give too much bass, i use them mostly when i'm home (maybe i'll get an amp later and see what they can do, but right now it won't happen because i'm a student, not enough for headphones and an amplifier).

I want some headphones for when i'm outside, i'm looking at the V-moda cause they are customize-able and i'd like some thing that would look a bit Gothic and sound amazing. I'm an audiophile, i like a warmish sound and a clear bass punch, not too much bass. I hate it when bass is overdone, i'm not a bass head, i don't want my ears to rumble.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:22 PM Post #3,502 of 4,593
Neither the Senn or the AKG are worth getting an amp, the AKG are very efficient and will sound very loud out of anything, they isolate really well but tend to hurt after a while, the band is on the small side of things, I have a small head and still need to open the whole band. The bass maybe overdone to you, I can recomend the Alessandro MS1i if you don't need portability or isolation, they sound better than the AKG in every way, they are a bit warm but not too colored. They can be had for 110 dollars with international shipping.

Oct 7, 2012 at 3:41 PM Post #3,503 of 4,593
Quote:
Neither the Senn or the AKG are worth getting an amp, the AKG are very efficient and will sound very loud out of anything, they isolate really well but tend to hurt after a while, the band is on the small side of things, I have a small head and still need to open the whole band. The bass maybe overdone to you, I can recomend the Alessandro MS1i if you don't need portability or isolation, they sound better than the AKG in every way, they are a bit warm but not too colored. They can be had for 110 dollars with international shipping.

I do need both portability and isolation. Sorry if i didn't make that clear earlier, but the Alessandro MS1i do look good. I hope i can get good audiophile quality 'phones. I like the look of the m80s and i just wanna know where they stand in terms of sound quality.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:18 PM Post #3,504 of 4,593
Quote:
Hi. 

I've been looking for good headphones for months. I'm disliking everything that gets thrown my way. I'm no major fan of lots of bass and i dislike most Skullcandy and also the Beats. I need headphones for when i'm going out and walking or for trains or while waiting for something or someone. In other words i'd like them to work with mobiles.

I listen to Progressive, Symphonic, Brutal Death, Cyber, Gothic, Experimental Metal. But more than metal i listen to Harsh EBM, Terror EBM, Aggrotech/Hellektro, Electro-Industrial, Dark Electro, Harsh Electro, Darkwave.... 

I'm extremely picky about the quality of sound. I hate rap/hip-hop/rock/Nu Metal, personal choice, nothing against anyone elses likes
tongue.gif
. Currently i own a pair of Sennheiser HD 201. They are beautiful but they don't give the bass i need. I want bass that comes when it should, not massive rumbling in my ears. I want a clear lows, highs and mids and bass that just punches, not overpowered. Just imagine HD201 with a clear punch. 
So, i've settled for the V-Moda M80s, is this a good choice? What do you think. Anyone with similar musical preferences who's tried them? 

Thanks

Cheers.

I've never heard the HD201 and I don't listen to any of the same music you do but I definitely wouldn't worry about the M-80 being overly bassy or lacking clarity - they are very well-balanced headphones, on the warm side but not like the HD202, which I have heard and which end up sounding muffled and muddy because of the heavy bass.

Oct 7, 2012 at 4:38 PM Post #3,505 of 4,593
Quote:

I've never heard the HD201 and I don't listen to any of the same music you do but I definitely wouldn't worry about the M-80 being overly bassy or lacking clarity - they are very well-balanced headphones, on the warm side but not like the HD202, which I have heard and which end up sounding muffled and muddy because of the heavy bass.

Exactly, thank you. Ya the HD 202s are overly bassy, that's why i never got them in the first place. I don't like the heavy bass because of the same reason, and you can't hear any of the actual music.

Also, i'll get the M80s then. They cost about 180 Euros online, hopefully i'll find a store that sells a pair of originals for less.

Cheers

Oct 9, 2012 at 8:48 PM Post #3,507 of 4,593
The Brainwavz HM3 should be added to the $20-$40 category. Got them on sale for $20 and they have a very balanced sound for the price. Also they are very light, awesome for portable use.

Oct 9, 2012 at 10:45 PM Post #3,508 of 4,593
Quote:
The Brainwavz HM3 should be added to the $20-$40 category. Got them on sale for $20 and they have a very balanced sound for the price. Also they are very light, awesome for portable use.

It's included as the Fischer Audio FA-004. Same headphone, different brand. 

Oct 9, 2012 at 11:16 PM Post #3,509 of 4,593
Quote:

It's included as the Fischer Audio FA-004. Same headphone, different brand. 

Oops, my bad. =)

Btw, awesome job on those reviews. I love the compiled graphic at the end.

Your effort IS appreciated and it really helps a lot when deciding to spend our hard earned money on new cans.

beerchug.gif

Oct 10, 2012 at 3:49 AM Post #3,510 of 4,593
Quote:
Oops, my bad. =)

Btw, awesome job on those reviews. I love the compiled graphic at the end.

Your effort IS appreciated and it really helps a lot when deciding to spend our hard earned money on new cans.

beerchug.gif

Thanks, glad the thread has been useful! The HM3 for $20 seems like a great deal to me. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back