Shootout: 114 Portable Headphones Reviewed (Xiaomi Mi Headphones added 04/21/2015)
Oct 14, 2012 at 4:43 PM Post #3,541 of 4,593
Quote:
Thanks again! :)
As I previously said, the bass isn't all that important to me. So the ZX700 is the better option? :)

Sounds that way. 

Oct 14, 2012 at 4:47 PM Post #3,542 of 4,593
Quote:

Sounds that way. 

Alright then, thanks alot. I'm thinking which headphone I should buy first, since I really want Over Ears and I am very unsatisfied with my in ears, but none of that concerns you :p
Thanks alot for your help, I appreaciate it alot! :)
I'd love if you could answer my question on the other topic :)

Oct 15, 2012 at 2:50 PM Post #3,543 of 4,593
Hey guys,

I'm really glad that I found this forum because I have so much to learn about headphones (I just recently got into it since I now have money to buy some). I was wondering if this thread can help me pick out a new pair of headphones.

So what I am looking for is a portable over-ear headphones around the $100-$200 range. I currently have an Audio Technica ATH-A700X, and while I love these headphones, they're not very portable. I use this mostly when I am commuting or taking road trips, so portability is a big deal for me. I'm not concerned with which brand the cans are as much as I am with quality. I also listen to mostly Hip Hop and R&B music, so I guess decent bass would be nice?

I would truly appreciate any suggestions that people have on this matter. If there are any forums out there in the interwebs that can help me out, I know it's this one. Thanks in advance.

Oct 15, 2012 at 9:15 PM Post #3,544 of 4,593
Quote:
Hey guys,

I'm really glad that I found this forum because I have so much to learn about headphones (I just recently got into it since I now have money to buy some). I was wondering if this thread can help me pick out a new pair of headphones.

So what I am looking for is a portable over-ear headphones around the $100-$200 range. I currently have an Audio Technica ATH-A700X, and while I love these headphones, they're not very portable. I use this mostly when I am commuting or taking road trips, so portability is a big deal for me. I'm not concerned with which brand the cans are as much as I am with quality. I also listen to mostly Hip Hop and R&B music, so I guess decent bass would be nice?

I would truly appreciate any suggestions that people have on this matter. If there are any forums out there in the interwebs that can help me out, I know it's this one. Thanks in advance.

If you don't need them to fold the V-Moda M-80 and Sennheiser HD25-1 are still my favorites. If you do need them to fold flat, maybe the ATH-ESW9 or Phiaton MS400. All of these are small on-ear portables. Very compact. 

Oct 17, 2012 at 10:54 AM Post #3,546 of 4,593
Spot on impressions of the Image One.

They're a pretty decent sounding pair of headphones but have too much bass for their own good (and this is coming from a guy who loves bass). I got a pair for $30 (open box return) so I'm pretty satisfied but I wouldn't pay retail for them.

Oct 17, 2012 at 9:19 PM Post #3,547 of 4,593
Quote:
Spot on impressions of the Image One.

They're a pretty decent sounding pair of headphones but have too much bass for their own good (and this is coming from a guy who loves bass). I got a pair for $30 (open box return) so I'm pretty satisfied but I wouldn't pay retail for them.

Thanks! $30 seems pretty reasonable. They work well as a headset - I still haven't come across too many other on-ears with a mic/remote.

Oct 18, 2012 at 8:46 PM Post #3,548 of 4,593
Any plans to add the Philips Citiscape Downtown/Uptown to the shootout? The Downtown seem to be selling for $50, seems like a good value. Or the Phiaton MS300? I see you allude to those a lot thru some of the other reviews but I don't see them anywhere on the list... I'm just curious, would love to know what's next on your plate really.

Both your IEM shootout and this one have been invaluable to me so I appreciate the time and work you've put onto them, I've mostly decided to get a pair of V-moda M-80 next... I only wish they folded flat but that would probably take away from the tank like build quality. I saw the new M-100 are collapsible but they're much bigger all around.

I was between the HD25-1 II and the M-80 but I think the M-80 will be a better counterpart to DT 880 if I ever long for a different sound at home, and I even prefer them to be not-quite-as-isolating.

Oct 18, 2012 at 10:55 PM Post #3,549 of 4,593
Quote:
Any plans to add the Philips Citiscape Downtown/Uptown to the shootout? The Downtown seem to be selling for $50, seems like a good value. Or the Phiaton MS300? I see you allude to those a lot thru some of the other reviews but I don't see them anywhere on the list... I'm just curious, would love to know what's next on your plate really.
Both your IEM shootout and this one have been invaluable to me so I appreciate the time and work you've put onto them, I've mostly decided to get a pair of V-moda M-80 next... I only wish they folded flat but that would probably take away from the tank like build quality. I saw the new M-100 are collapsible but they're much bigger all around.
I was between the HD25-1 II and the M-80 but I think the M-80 will be a better counterpart to DT 880 if I ever long for a different sound at home, and I even prefer them to be not-quite-as-isolating.

I have an MS300 and will add it when I have some time. No plans to add any Philips cans at this time. 

And thanks, glad the review threads have been useful! Yep, the M-80 will be much smaller than the M-100 even though it doesn't fold (assuming the M-100 is the same size as the Crossfade LP).

Oct 18, 2012 at 11:52 PM Post #3,550 of 4,593
Pretty crappy headphones, slightly uncomfortable (and irritates after longer uses), but definitely portable, a review on the Sony MDR-G45LP would be nice. They never appear anywhere, and for $8-20 (even with abyssal quality), I would like to see your opinion on them.

Oct 19, 2012 at 12:31 AM Post #3,551 of 4,593
Quote:

Nah, you shouldn't be afraid to ask. :wink:

I'm concerned with mainly two things that held me back from buying the HA-S500 right away (because it actually looks quite stunning!):

1. Reading the different reviews and impressions it wasn't quite clear if the mids were just "not recessed" or "nice and lush"!? Some wrote that the HA-S500 is neutral with a tendency to be cold or at least not 'warm'. As mids are quite important for me I couldn't really ignore this potential 'flaw'.

2. I fear that it's not comfy for my ears because it'll be neither over-ear nor on-ear for me (big head, above average ears)... and I need headphones that are comfortable for 2+ hours.

Those were the main reasons. Perhaps I will give them a try in the future as they're dirt cheap and have perhaps an better sub-bass impact than the DTX501p - but that's just my guessing.

regards.
bearmann

Thanks for the response. I got the S500 last Friday. I was finding the mids to be a bit recessed (mids are also quite important to me), and the bass to be a bit much for me also, and the pads to be a bit uncomfortable after a while. Last night however I got the ATH pleather pads for it ($12 off of ebay), and they have essentially transformed the sound into exactly what I was looking for, and they are quite comfortable as well. Here is a link to my comments in this regard:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/621063/the-new-jvc-ha-s500-40mm-carbon-nanotubes/2355

So, I would highly recommend the HA-S500 with the ATH pleather pads. Pretty amazing sound for approx $90 (inclusive of the pads).

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:06 AM Post #3,553 of 4,593
Quote:
Pretty crappy headphones, slightly uncomfortable (and irritates after longer uses), but definitely portable, a review on the Sony MDR-G45LP would be nice. They never appear anywhere, and for $8-20 (even with abyssal quality), I would like to see your opinion on them.

That's not exactly a glowing endorsement. I don't like street-style headphones anyway, though I used to have a Sony one (looked similar to these) in my CD Walkman days.

Quote:
Joker, got any plans to review the M100?

I can only hope 
tongue_smile.gif

Oct 19, 2012 at 2:13 AM Post #3,554 of 4,593
Quote:
Quote:

That's not exactly a glowing endorsement. I don't like street-style headphones anyway, though I used to have a Sony one (looked similar to these) in my CD Walkman days.

Quote:
Joker, got any plans to review the M100?

I can only hope 
tongue_smile.gif

I hear ya, unfortunately, my eyes are bigger than my wallet!

Oct 19, 2012 at 4:44 AM Post #3,555 of 4,593
I have an MS300 and will add it when I have some time. No plans to add any Philips cans at this time. 

And thanks, glad the review threads have been useful! Yep, the M-80 will be much smaller than the M-100 even though it doesn't fold (assuming the M-100 is the same size as the Crossfade LP).

Cool, I went back and read some of your scattered comments about the MS300 and for what I want them I think I'd be happier with the M-80. Might give the MS400 another look, but that thin double sided cable is a big turn off. Seems like the M-80 are better in almost every way other than not being collapsible.

I can only hope :tongue_smile:

From what I've seen, Val would probably volunteer a review sample... Specially if the community bugs him to do so, once the pre-order fulfillment madness slows down anyway. :D It's looking like stock will be pretty limited thru the end of the year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back