Shanling M3X Portable Player - Our smallest Android Player
Dec 7, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #2,386 of 2,447
«Practically, Android allows you to install almost every app on the adopted storage. But it also requires the consent of the app’s developer. He has the freedom to enable or disable support for adopted storage in the app by adding relevant attributes in the code.»

Maybe its time to ask your question to apple...

https://fossbytes.com/android-sd-card-internal-storage-adoptable-storage/
Actually storage in the sd card is permitted by Apple Music, it is an option to choose.
I have installed the application in the internal memory.

Maybe I can try to install the app on the sad card, another interesting test.

Dec 7, 2023 at 8:03 PM Post #2,387 of 2,447
Hi Shanling, thanks for your answer.

I have formatted the sad card in ExFat and the problem still occurs.

Do you have an example of sd card brand for which one the offline listening is working?

I have tested ko with a Samsung evo and a Kingston.

So far apple music is ok, just have to change the download target every time I have to start the device.

But sad for Qobuz, I would have liked to try it.

Regards,

Frederic

Sorry, have no further advice on this.

After the last update 1.75, both mqa and flac Hi-Res files can be played in TIDAL app again.
But in TIDAL app some mqa tracks are not able to be decoded correctly by Shanling to headphones and the sound is "jerky".
This problem does not occur when using the USB Audio Player.

We are aware of this and software team is working on fix.

Shanling Have any question about our players? Just PM me or send me email. Stay updated on Shanling at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Shanling-Audio-603230783166845/ https://twitter.com/ShanlingAudio https://www.instagram.com/shanlingaudio/ http://en.shanling.com/ frankie@shanling.com
Dec 10, 2023 at 12:32 AM Post #2,389 of 2,447
Hi Shanling, thanks for your answer.

I have formatted the sad card in ExFat and the problem still occurs.

Do you have an example of sd card brand for which one the offline listening is working?

I have tested ko with a Samsung evo and a Kingston.

So far apple music is ok, just have to change the download target every time I have to start the device.

But sad for Qobuz, I would have liked to try it.

Regards,

Frederic
you don't have to try different brands. any brand should be fine, if it isn't then it's the device's fault

Dec 11, 2023 at 6:39 AM Post #2,390 of 2,447
Does anyone have a link to cheap screen protectors for the M3X? I had seen somewhere on a youtube video once that someone found some cheap phone screen protectors on ali express or somewhere and they cut them to fit the M3X. I am in Europe and can't seem to find anything less than like 15 euros. Thanks, in advance.

Dec 11, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #2,391 of 2,447
have found this one, not ordered yet, 8€/1 piece, 12€ for 2 pieces (front and back?):
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EJetpgd

And I have found the case (original?) for 22€:
https://a.aliexpress.com/_EIhgz73
Ordered, should arrive soon.

About the screen, it could be interesting to find a phone with the same screen size, protection could be cheaper. Not found yet….

Dec 11, 2023 at 1:03 PM Post #2,392 of 2,447
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:49 AM Post #2,393 of 2,447
Hi @Shanling,

I've reported this before, but it's still an ongoing issue a year later.

Every so often, my M3X just freezes up and the only way to get it back is to hold down the power button for about 30 seconds to hard reboot it. I don't know exactly how to reliably reproduce the crash, but it usually happens right after boot when starting something playing for the first time (I turn my M3X off between listening sessions to save the battery). I've seen this happen with the Poweramp app (when playing offline music from the SD card) and the Bandcamp app (when streaming).

When the crash happens, audio continues to play for a while, but the UI becomes unresponsive. The volume wheel doesn't work, nor do the hardware buttons. The floating box navigation sphere thingy can be dragged around for a little while, before eventually that stops responding too. Shortly after, the audio stops and then it's just a brick until it's rebooted.

It's really ruining the enjoyment of the DAP for me. I wonder if you engineers could look into it?

Thanks

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #2,394 of 2,447
Dec 27, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #2,395 of 2,447
I use musicolet on my M3X and find it a good player, the default music app is not for me at all.
The one exception to the rule I've found is musicolet. Once you change the decoder to "system decoder", everything works as it should.
I found this nice to read. For me the best android player is musicolet. I love passing through my library in it and adding and sync lyrics in it too. I love how it runs fast and its design. I used for some time in my smartphone but now I'm searching for a dedicated music player I would love to able to use that in combination with musicolet. Would you say that the shanling m3x is one of the best for that (also considering the low price)? would there be another options too? Does the shanling m3x runs musicolet smoothly when you have lots of albums and songs? or it stutter sometimes? if you could share more about you experience using musicolet in shanling m3x I would very thankful! :)

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2023 at 11:58 PM Post #2,396 of 2,447
I found this nice to read. For me the best android player is musicolet. I love passing through my library in it and adding and sync lyrics in it too. I love how it runs fast and its design. I used for some time in my smartphone but now I'm searching for a dedicated music player I would love to able to use that in combination with musicolet. Would you say that the shanling m3x is one of the best for that (also considering the low price)? would there be another options too? Does the shanling m3x runs musicolet smoothly when you have lots of albums and songs? or it stutter sometimes? if you could share more about you experience using musicolet in shanling m3x I would very thankful! :)
this android player has android 7.1 which is very obsolete especially other players have the latest android already. look somewhere else as if you get the m3x there is a big chance those music apps you use might not support it anymore

Dec 28, 2023 at 4:46 AM Post #2,397 of 2,447
this android player has android 7.1 which is very obsolete especially other players have the latest android already. look somewhere else as if you get the m3x there is a big chance those music apps you use might not support it anymore
yes, I had this concern. But I checked the musicolet store page and saw that the newest version requires android 6 or later. I think one of the reasons they try to stay compatible with older android versions is because of those daps (just a guess). But I don't rule out the possibility that in the future they will close that door. If that happens I will stick to the latest version that was compatible.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2023 at 5:52 AM Post #2,399 of 2,447
I already had problems with new apps version (Apple Music, Qobuz). They were solved by installing 2021 versions of the apps.

Cross fingers about long term maintenance by the devs.

although I see that there is a hiby m300 with android 13 that is cheaper that the m3x (from the oficial stores I'm seeing on aliexpress)
This one look good, too late for me. But it seems to have some problems about volume control and miss the previous track button. This is what I tell myself to not be sad.

If I had to choose today, maybe I will try the M300.

Dec 28, 2023 at 10:01 AM Post #2,400 of 2,447
As others have said, the software in the M3X is now ancient.

I'll add to the list of negative points:
- hardware buttons don't work in bluetooth receiver mode
- sometimes crashes when starting playback for the first time after boot

I looked at the m300. Does anyone know if it has bi-directional bluetooth, or only send? Can the internal speaker be disabled?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back