Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Impressions
Sep 12, 2013 at 12:39 PM Post #121 of 581
I was really surprised by the resilience of the headphone band when Daniel Sennheiser flattened them. So I tried it with my Momentum headband. Now they're not quite as tight on my ears. So, if they fit you perfectly, I recommend you don't try flattening them. But they're a little more comfortable for me now. Changes the equation a little...

Sep 13, 2013 at 11:47 PM Post #122 of 581
I got a review unit from Sennheiser couple of days ago and I can't help but find it a bit bright (had less than 10 hours of listening though). I was never able to listen to the original Momentum so I cannot really compare. I find it mildly V-shaped but with midrange being of excellent quality. The treble is a bit splashy and it becomes prominent when listening to treble-happy audio tracks. I like the headphone as it doesn't sound as closed as say DT1350, however isolation isn't that good.

The earpads are just very good, very comfortable. And it looks good that I started searching for clothes that would fit the headphone being on my head. lol

Sep 14, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #123 of 581
  Based on suggestions here, I just tried the V-Moda M80 and I did not like them at all, especially compared to the Momentum On Ear. I also just bought the Momentum full - again - and I love the sound, definitely a step up above the On Ear, but I'm grappling with the discomfort. The pads are super soft, but they don't place well on my ears. I take them off after an hour and it's such a relief! I tried Bose again as recently as last year. I had previously owned the first two generations of the QC headphones. I never enjoyed them for classical. I prefer the HD598 for classical. I'm leaning towards the Momentum On Ear for portables including walking around the house and watching movies with my Sony goggles, and the HD598 for home relaxing in my Lazboy. Except for classical, I think I prefer the Momentum full over the HD598. Maybe I just need to find a larger more comfortable close pair for non-classical music.

I would be extremely interested in a comparison between the full size momentums and the HD598 as I'm standing between these 2 for use at home. As I won't be investing in any sort of headphone amplification any time soon, I would love to get an easy to drive set with sound as good as it gets for that price range and considering my musical preferences.

Sep 16, 2013 at 2:12 PM Post #124 of 581
Here are my "final" impressions of the Momentum On-Ear. Considering that they're small portables, they sound excellent. I stopped trying to do A/B comparisons with other headphones and just spent a lot of time with just these to see how I like them on their own. I won't argue whether the headphones have burned in or if I just got used to them, but I like them a lot! They're a tad heavy on the bass, but not overpowering. For a lot of music, I like these better than my headphones that have too little bass. They're also a little bright, but not in a bad way. I think I prefer these highs over the full Momentum. It's just a matter of preference if you prefer bright or mellow or what you're listening to. I have full size headphones for when I want mellow. These are also extremely comfortable. I can't quite forget I'm wearing them as I can with the HD238i, but close. These are great portable headphones and comfortable enough for long-term listening. They're small enough to pack and to use over video goggles or in bed without feeling them pushing.

I would be extremely interested in a comparison between the full size momentums and the HD598 as I'm standing between these 2 for use at home. As I won't be investing in any sort of headphone amplification any time soon, I would love to get an easy to drive set with sound as good as it gets for that price range and considering my musical preferences.

I don't want to get too far off topic, but briefly the advantages of the HD598 over the full Momentum: airy, better sound stage, very very comfortable; the advantages of the Momentum: more bass, more impact, better looking, better build, portable, iPhone remote and mic. Overall, I find the HD598 more pleasant with enough bass and overall very clear.

Sep 16, 2013 at 3:51 PM Post #125 of 581
I also still like them. on my android phone I can hold the middle button and it activates google now and I say "play song name or artist name" and it starts spotify and not sure I could get better sound from just a phone (comparable to a sound system in a car).
stereo thing is great, never understood it but now i do.. overly it's great sound without the "happy" stuff.. the stuff that seems like to make it sound better but actually just hurts your head in the end and makes you switch music anyways

Sep 22, 2013 at 4:08 PM Post #126 of 581
since I would be probably most "listener" of this headphones(being so portable does it's job), I would update there is "breaking period", the roughness is gone(bass is there), so I would suggest trying out already "used" ones..

Oct 2, 2013 at 12:59 AM Post #127 of 581
i got mine
i like the instrument separation
my klipsch image s4 let me hear little sounds never heard before
these cans gone a bit further with excellent instrument separation
bass is just right(i like low end)
nice clarity
lossless sounds smooth and clear than mp3

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:07 PM Post #128 of 581
I was on a mission today to try out some Sennheiser Momentums at my local audio supplies shop.
It's true, everything everyone is saying (I'm a believer HALLELUJAH) It's really a beautiful set of headphones with the exact type of sound I was looking for with all of the comfort I need for my lifestyle, but the beauty of these headphones just left me with more questions.

The big question is now,

What is the difference between the sound of the classic Momentums and their brand new On-Ear Momentums?
Has anyone listened to both? Are the on-ears comparable to the originals? Is there a BIG difference? Are the on-ears more comfortable because they are lighter weight than the larger size?
The originals will cost me around $311 and the On-ears will be about $230.

I know the original Momentums are worth the price, but what about the on-ears? Which is a better investment in your opinion? I don't record or dj or mix. It would just be for my personal listening pleasure, but I'm sick of settling for the sound quality of "the average consumer"
I've heard the best and now I want it.

Thank you so much for your input

-Carli

Oct 3, 2013 at 11:35 PM Post #129 of 581
Go back to the first 2 pages of this thread and you'll see all the discussion about the 2 versions. Basically:
the originals have bigger earcups, have better clarity. the on ears version have a more pronounced v shape and quite a lot more bass. Some people may find the on ears to be a little more comfortable despite the fact that it is smaller.
Personally as stated before I still prefer the original sound and since my ears are slightly smaller, the original momentums fit me like over ears. It all comes down to preference but i would pay for the extra cash

Oct 4, 2013 at 7:49 PM Post #135 of 581
Have you considered other options like the audio technica range, something like the ES700 or ES10, both i believe would work quite well. The ES700 being the most neutral of the 2 models

Users who are viewing this thread

Back