Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Impressions
Feb 10, 2016 at 2:35 AM Post #571 of 581
For some reason it's more noticeable from the Momentums. I was comparing V1 over ears/ V2 over ears and V2 on ears and they all go extremely dull sounding from an Ipod. Fiio daps (X1,3 and 5) are fine.

That's why I'm wondering whether the headphone impedance might have something to do with it. Normally, iem's are closer to 18 ohms, so I guess added bass might actually be welcome, but the Momentums sound way too fat until you use something else.

Perhaps also why some might find them too bloated? Look at the source.

The effect isn't slight either!'

Jul 4, 2016 at 4:52 AM Post #572 of 581
Just got a pair of these to see what they're like.

First, straight out of my DAC (AMB gamma2) I was completely underwhelmed - "Bass? What bass?" I thought.

See, I'm so used to high impedance headphones I forgot the gamma2 is totally unsuitable for ~25 ohm headphones like these.

Out of even a modest amp (e.g. cmoy) they're transformed. Much better!

Just a word of warning.
wink_face.gif

Feb 20, 2019 at 7:30 AM Post #573 of 581
Hi Guys.

Was just wondering about being able to adjust the sound of these cans using a custom equaliser? My impressions of these headphones mirror many of those I read about on this forum & I would prefer to get it to sound a little more neutral.

I'm thinking of buying a pair of these through my company as I can get it for a good price & plan to use them with a Fiio headphone amplifier & an iPhone 6s Plus (hopefully an iPhone 8 Plus in two months).

Any help would be appreciated.

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:17 PM Post #574 of 581
Try boosting treble and attenuating the 2kHz peak. Your iphone may be sufficient for equalization. Reduce bass to taste, but ~7dB of reduction at 130Hz or so should do the trick.

Apr 3, 2019 at 5:12 AM Post #575 of 581
Thank you, Mad Max.

Your help is highly appreciated!

| will try these with the CapTune App on iPhone & let you know how it goes.

Overall, I like these headphones very much for their comfort and luxury feel although I do admit that they are nowhere near to audiophile level.

Apr 3, 2019 at 11:42 AM Post #576 of 581
More audiophile than most headphones out there if you ask me.

Apr 3, 2019 at 12:30 PM Post #577 of 581
Point taken, Mad Max. :smile_phones:

Although, I must admit that we go through several customers in our line of business that passionately defend their brand (due to brand loyalty) before giving another brand even the slightest chance of proving themselves.

So, is it a case of brand loyalty versus objective listening tests?

In my limited opinion (correct me if I’m being unreasonable or biased), a lot of people have lots of money & strongly believe that spending more will always deliver better performance.

Would this kind of user contribute to the growing number of audiophiles?

Apr 3, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #578 of 581
"objective"
"listening"
lol

Anyway, I mean, there's plenty of headphones around with thin, rubbish sound in comparison (rarely mentioned around here), the sound is like going from a cheap Casio keyboard (common headphone, some of the cheaper stuff discussed on head-fi) to a real analogue or a really good\ VA synth costing many times more (Momentum). That said, I wasn't implying that Momentum is the greatest or anything, but it is certainly audiophile. Not as much as HD650 or HD800, but for a less expensive headphone, the build, sound, and comfort are definitely there, to me. I like the style, too, especially with my blue Momentum On-ear.

After a bit of modding, it only gets better. :wink:

If you go cheap enough, even Sennheiser makes rubbish.

Apr 4, 2019 at 8:51 AM Post #579 of 581
Hey, no trashing phase distortion synthesis!

I am quite fond of the on-ear momentum. The Thinksound On2 is up there with the momentum.

Apr 6, 2019 at 7:44 AM Post #580 of 581
"objective"
"listening"
lol

Anyway, I mean, there's plenty of headphones around with thin, rubbish sound in comparison (rarely mentioned around here), the sound is like going from a cheap Casio keyboard (common headphone, some of the cheaper stuff discussed on head-fi) to a real analogue or a really good\ VA synth costing many times more (Momentum). That said, I wasn't implying that Momentum is the greatest or anything, but it is certainly audiophile. Not as much as HD650 or HD800, but for a less expensive headphone, the build, sound, and comfort are definitely there, to me. I like the style, too, especially with my blue Momentum On-ear.

After a bit of modding, it only gets better. :wink:

If you go cheap enough, even Sennheiser makes rubbish.
Hey there blue Momentum On-ear buddy.

Last edited:
Apr 29, 2019 at 7:04 AM Post #581 of 581
I agree with you. Mad Max.

Thank you for explaining your point so well. It's assuring to know that members of Head-Fi are understanding and liberal in thinking. A lot of people would dismiss anything at this kind of price point as not being reasonable quality.

I have been reading a little recently and trying to tinker with EQ a bit. Seeming to get the hang of it. Liking what I've been hearing so far.

I get your point, Mad Max.

Hey there, Spookygonk & HTT. Nice hearing from you guys.

:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back