Sennheiser Momentum On-Ear Impressions
Feb 9, 2014 at 8:49 PM Post #226 of 581
  I purchased a set of the Ivory for my wife over the holiday's. She uses them mostly at the gym, today she asked if there are replacement pads available. I checked Senn site but did not see any, sites a little convoluted. Anyone have a link or even know if there available? thx in advance.

Hi Dionysus,

You may get in touch with any Sennheiser service centers. Click on the link below:

http://en-de.sennheiser.com/service-support-contact-service-partner-worldwide

Sennheiser Stay updated on Sennheiser at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/SennheiserUSA https://twitter.com/SennheiserUSA http://www.instagram.com/sennheiser https://sennheiser.com/
Feb 10, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #227 of 581
Feb 19, 2014 at 9:22 PM Post #228 of 581
I actually just picked up a pair of the Momentum on-ears, i've been reading about them for a while and i got them price matched at best buy for 170 (vs. 249) so i decided to pick them up since i've still got 30 days for them to go back and i must say so far its a very mixed bag of feelings. Currently i own the Grado 60i and IEMs SE210, SE535  i love each of them but find that the sound signature on all of them is tiring for passive listening. I wanted something that was still fairly detailed and accurate yet somewhat less fatiguing as for passive listening. I also don't have any closed back headphones so figured the Momentum OE would be a good starting ground considering it'd be hard to go with something that didn't at least come close to the detail all the other headphones i have could produce. I have to say that the Momentum OE are a great headphone but there's still something missing. i wanted something a little bass-ier since none of my current ones are really bass-savvy per say. 

The recessed mids on the Momentum OE are what are drawing me away from the headphone, i can't listen to music where the vocals are so far off that they seem not even part of the song, rather loud background noise. I was looking at the Harman NC over ears as well as the original momentums. I'm wondering what you would recommend in the 2-300 price range that would fit well with what i have as a compliment not necessarily similar sound signature. i'll try the burn-in with the OE even though there seem to be mixed opinions on its effectiveness.  

Feb 20, 2014 at 1:45 PM Post #229 of 581
i'll try the burn-in with the OE even though there seem to be mixed opinions on its effectiveness.  

For me the burn-in made a fairly drastic difference. The massive bass settled nicely and is now very tight and punchy and does not bleed into the mids at all. It's still very much emphasized but alot of fun. The highs were almost shrill out of the box and can still be a bit fatiguing depending on the music, but still a major improvement. Mids alsoimproved got a bit more forward, but they're still slightly scooped. That said I mainly listen to metal and rock with these and barely any genre (EDM etc.) that would generally benefit from a V-shaped signature and love the sound.

Feb 20, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #230 of 581
I got a black/red one for more than 1 week and I love it!

The first thing attracted me of considering this purchase is, this headphone looks sooooo awesome!!! The different colors, the leaser logo on the side, the solid construction, etc, all pushed me to buy a pair. But before I bought it, I read a lot on the internet and many people mentioned its V-sharp SQ. So as an audiophiler, I'm afraid the SQ will drag me off.

But fortunately, our local electronic franchise has audition, so I went to their different stores to try it on before I made my final decision. Then I found out: 1. it is V-shape, but not that bad in the mid at all; 2. in different stores, the mid is different, some are really lay back and some are much forward. So, I realized maybe it depends on the burn-in. I admit, it is not a balance HP at all and my Amperior is more balance than it. However, the punchy bass is really attractive to me and I have never hear that powerful, clear and deep punch! It makes me feel that the drummer is so energetic and passionate and all music through it is full of this feeling. In another word, it is not a technically perfect headphone but very very very enjoyable to listen to. Meanwhile, the details are also there, of course not compatible with my HD800 or HD650, but definitely similar to my Amperior and to be honest, it is quite enough.

So, I put my foot down and grabbed a pair from that store. Thekash, you are right, in the first few hours, it sounded muffle and lay-back in the mid. But because I had experience in the store, so I decided to leave it with pink noise burn-in 10 hours in the daytime and 3 hours casual listening at night for 3 days. Amazingly, after 3 days, it is significantly better! The mid is back to the Amperior side, the treble is clear without harsh and of course, the punchy bass still made me very happy.

So, I do suggest you to give it some time and burn it in for a while to make the final judgement. I hope you can like it as me.

Feb 21, 2014 at 5:25 AM Post #231 of 581
Question for you guys with the On Ears: Is the 2.5mm twist and lock? And is it fairly deep? I ask, because I was wondering if the On Ears would work with THIS (3.5mm to 2.5mm adapter.)

I ask, because if I were to get one, I'd wanna use my Vmoda BoomPro cable, which is a 3.5mm cable with a boom mic, to convert any headphone to a headset.

Feb 21, 2014 at 6:01 AM Post #232 of 581
It is twist and lock, but that adapter won't work. The plug has to be pushed inside the jack and the jack is much narrower that adapter.

Feb 21, 2014 at 2:42 PM Post #234 of 581
I got a black/red one for more than 1 week and I love it!

The first thing attracted me of considering this purchase is, this headphone looks sooooo awesome!!! The different colors, the leaser logo on the side, the solid construction, etc, all pushed me to buy a pair. But before I bought it, I read a lot on the internet and many people mentioned its V-sharp SQ. So as an audiophiler, I'm afraid the SQ will drag me off.

But fortunately, our local electronic franchise has audition, so I went to their different stores to try it on before I made my final decision. Then I found out: 1. it is V-shape, but not that bad in the mid at all; 2. in different stores, the mid is different, some are really lay back and some are much forward. So, I realized maybe it depends on the burn-in. I admit, it is not a balance HP at all and my Amperior is more balance than it. However, the punchy bass is really attractive to me and I have never hear that powerful, clear and deep punch! It makes me feel that the drummer is so energetic and passionate and all music through it is full of this feeling. In another word, it is not a technically perfect headphone but very very very enjoyable to listen to. Meanwhile, the details are also there, of course not compatible with my HD800 or HD650, but definitely similar to my Amperior and to be honest, it is quite enough.

So, I put my foot down and grabbed a pair from that store. Thekash, you are right, in the first few hours, it sounded muffle and lay-back in the mid. But because I had experience in the store, so I decided to leave it with pink noise burn-in 10 hours in the daytime and 3 hours casual listening at night for 3 days. Amazingly, after 3 days, it is significantly better! The mid is back to the Amperior side, the treble is clear without harsh and of course, the punchy bass still made me very happy.

So, I do suggest you to give it some time and burn it in for a while to make the final judgement. I hope you can like it as me.

W00dear! You are so right about the burn in, I left it all day and night yesterday with pink noise, bass bumps, and random songs and wow. It's like I'm not even listening to the same headphone! The kids are so much more detailed now, the bass has settled nicely! Firm but not overpowering presence, the highs are there not as detailed as my 535s but a lot more relaxing as casual listening... Will give it a few more days burn in, I jumped the gun and ordered the Harmon Kardon no and the over ear momentum as well, so looks like I may have my burn in and comparison work cut out for me in the next little while...

Mar 15, 2014 at 6:11 PM Post #235 of 581
Just bought pair of Mo On-Ear in ivory when I spotted them at a bargain price on Amazon ($138 with "3 left in stock").  Thought it might be a mistake, so I jumped on it.  

Left them playing for 24 hours before really listening.  Well, I did sneak a few half-song listens in there, but didn't want to be getting a bad impression before burning them in a bit.

Listened a bunch today, and so far, I think they sound pretty great.  Not as engrossing as my stay-at-home Denon AH-D5000, but at this price, they shouldn't be.  

A big step up from the Sennheiser PX100 they replaced (although I defy anyone to show me a better pair of headphones than the PX100 for around $50).  The Mo does grip my head a bit too tightly, and I don't have a big head.  Hoping this loosens up some, or I'll have to start playing with the metal bands on the sides.

The bass is surprisingly strong, but not overpowering (which it can be on the Denons).  Tried to listen for the mid-scoop-out that I read about on this thread, but so far don't find it objectionable.  Perhaps it's because I use them mostly outside, and the highs and lows need some extra emphasis when you're out and about.

Will report back if my impressions change after the honeymoon is over.  I do feel a little self-conscious wearing these in public, but they are smaller than some cans I see some other people wearing out there.  Much larger than the PX100 I am used to, though.

Mar 24, 2014 at 12:46 PM Post #238 of 581
Freaking bass cannons.  Edit: Too much bass in the wrong position.
Quality bass, but still heavy on the dosage.

It feels tremendously like a retuned HD380/360/25 of sorts.  Those mids/treble tonal colors, that mildly wooly bass.  Maybe I've been with and own too many closed-back Senns.

Mar 26, 2014 at 5:47 AM Post #239 of 581
Anyone compared these to the B&W P5? I am trying to find some new headphones to use with my iPhone while at work and on the go, so I don't want them to be too large as I always been using in ears so far. Although I listen to mostly everything I mostly enjoy more neutral sounds with a lot of details over bass. Right now I have the B&W C5s that soon will die from a cable getting lose.

What I heard the P5s will be more neutral than the Momentum on-ears. There is not store nearby where I can listen to them side by side, but I will try to listen to them both on different stores. The Philips Fidelio M1 is another option from what I heard, less bass than the Momentums. I will have no luck in testing those out though so that might deter me, also the cord seems not to be changable at the place where it is more likely to break, the attachment to the headphone.

Another issue for me would be size, since they will be portable I do not want them too take too much space. This is an issue that might deter me fully from getting on-ears instead of in-ears.

Mar 30, 2014 at 8:36 PM Post #240 of 581
Picked up a pair of these on a whim when Futureshop price matched NCIX. Bought the black pair and have to say I find them to be a very solid headphone. The bass is quite addictive. I find the lower treble a bit harsh at times but think they do very well with classic/progressive/ psychedelic rock.

I have a pair of Mikros 90 as well and while the M90 is more detailed and geared towards audiophiles I have to admit I find these more fun and toe tapping for a lot of the rock I listen to. I definitely like their bass more.

The M90 is the better deal right now but I think for a lot of people the MOE might be a safer bet in regards to sound and fit as well as warranty and long term support.

I am going to give these a few days burn in and then do a review and possibly a shoot out against the M90.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back