Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 12, 2013 at 2:24 PM Post #14,326 of 46,554
  BTW, the alpha pads r almost the same size as the hd650 pads...just slightly bigger...90% sitting inside the rim.
u can simple scotchtape up the sides n u have a lambskin treat, if u are not particular of how it looks.
Or u can force squeeze the alphapads into the rim, n have a slightly distorted inner hole :p

Soundwise...i believe i lose a little of the lower bass, music sounded somewhat tunnelled/focused/brighter.
I am guessing u might like it on the stock cable..but i am using a spc cable, so its tending towards a T1 kind of sound.
(if u know what i am trying to say...hmmm) 

Could you post some pictures? It sounds interesting...

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:30 PM Post #14,327 of 46,554
Sheer speculation on my part, but perhaps the 650 is one of the early steps Sennheiser has taken to move from their efforts to achieve accuracy towards what some of their more recent, and also less expensive headphones and IEMs pursue: a sound that is perhaps a bit less "accurate" but more mellifluous in a consumer listening environment. The HD800, 700, 600 sustain the tradition of providing the kind of absolute accuracy that musicians and sound engineers are looking for, to the point where they prefer that accuracy over any "sweetening" of the sound appropriate for a pure listening environment.

Not saying the 650 is "worse" than the 600, say (I have both); but I find it far pleasanter to listen to for extended, concentrated periods of listening, actually.

All angels dancing on the head of a pin, though, the differences are quite minute.

I agree with you mostly... except for the HD 700... in my brief experiences with it at a meet and headphone shop I felt it was the most coloured/"fun" sound signature out of the whole higher end Senn lineup.  So, sadly it's actually my least favourite one...

Nov 12, 2013 at 6:20 PM Post #14,328 of 46,554
Copperears - I name thee Goldenears. Arise, Sir Goldenears!

Nov 12, 2013 at 10:39 PM Post #14,329 of 46,554
  FYI. I weighed the mini xlr adapters. The pair of them weight 20 grams. And the entire cable weights 120 grams with 1/4 plug at 9 foot length. 

Wow, that is LIGHT.

Nov 13, 2013 at 3:46 AM Post #14,332 of 46,554
i think something thinner like a HM5 pad might be better..this alphapad is too thicccck.

Nov 13, 2013 at 6:33 AM Post #14,334 of 46,554
Are there any other options for leather replacement pads?

Wow I never knew you can put Alpha Pads or HM5 pads as alternatives. I had always thought the pads were unique to sennheiser. As this is such a long thread, what other ear pads can be considered?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back