Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 14, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #14,356 of 46,554
Davidzhezhe wrote the Little Dots were made with the the HD650 being one of a few reference HPs in mind. I have the LDMKIII here and the IV would be an upgrade to it.
The HD650 sound quite nice through this amp, but be sure to do some tube rolling to get the best out of it.(There are also 2 tube rolling threads in the forum for starters).

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:35 PM Post #14,357 of 46,554
I just bought a pair of Voshkods 6J1P-EV for my LD MKIII. Still shipping from Russia. Do you think these would be a good match with the HD650s?

Nov 14, 2013 at 6:44 PM Post #14,358 of 46,554
oh****gorillas - I am using the Lovely Cube amp which is happily driving my HD650s. It is very, very much better than the pre-amp in the Audiolab M-DAC and opens out the sound of the Sennheisers beautifully. I believe that it is a cousin of the Matrix M-Stage, both of whom are not unrelated to the Lehmann Black Cube. If you see what I mean. Perhaps others can give you chapter and verse on that one. Anyway, I went for the Lovely Cube and find it to be a revealing amp, rather than a soft and cosy amp in my set-up. It is also not expensive, although UK customs had their pound of flesh when the unit arrived. Happy hunting!

My source is a decent laptop (Samsung series 7), but I am anxious to get a high quality CD transport to partner this setup. I probably won't really know what is going on until I do.

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #14,359 of 46,554
  I just bought a pair of Voshkods 6J1P-EV for my LD MKIII. Still shipping from Russia. Do you think these would be a good match with the HD650s?

I´ve just got the voskhods too and they sound very balanced from top to bottom even without initial burn-in of 120hrs.The treble would be a bit accentuated before burn-in. But check out the tube rolling thread here:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/563884

I´ve already checked a few tubes running with my HD650 and the best were the hytrons (JHY 6AK5) and the voskhods.Don´t bother to try the mullards 4010 because they already sound laid back and combined with the HD650 it sounds a bit "muffled".
And FYI the sylvanias 5654 are both the same sound sig, either normal or gold grid as i have read!

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:31 PM Post #14,360 of 46,554
I´ve already checked a few tubes running with my HD650 and the best were the hytrons (JHY 6AK5) and the voskhods.Don´t bother to try the mullards 4010 because they already sound laid back and combined with the HD650 it sounds a bit "muffled".
And FYI the sylvanias 5654 are both the same sound sig, either normal or gold grid as i have read!

Agreed on the Sylvania 5654s. I'm running the Gold Brand 5654 in my MK III.

Not sure if I want to tube roll or dive deep and get a different amp. (Maybe one that wasn't suited for high impedance cans only.)

Nov 14, 2013 at 7:55 PM Post #14,361 of 46,554
Thank you so much superdux. It's really helpful when one thinks of so many options and discussions about tubes. Now I feel lucky that I resisted from ordering a pair of 5654s. The current stock tubes are doing pretty good, but I just don't feel they really give the musical beauty that people talk about tube amps.

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:04 PM Post #14,362 of 46,554
If you can find a pair of the Sylvania gold brand 5654 for cheap get them for sure! They're great tubes don't get me wrong. I just maybe want a little bit more treble though. (Maybe upgrading to better power tubes could help me.) The mids, bass, and vocals are pretty much perfect though.

Edit: This is with the HD650 specifically. Not an "across the board" impression of the gold brand 5654.

Nov 14, 2013 at 8:11 PM Post #14,363 of 46,554
Oh thanks for the note. I don't remember the price any more. Maybe I should settle down a bit and take small steps. Sometimes I wonder perhaps the stock tubes haven't really burnt in... Thanks Anavel0!

Nov 14, 2013 at 9:18 PM Post #14,364 of 46,554
@Oh****gorillas

The clamping force goes away after about a week for me. Also, you might want to wait a bit to send back the Asgard. Your probably going to notice some slight sound changes over the next several listening sessions.

It took about 3 months for mine
eek.gif

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:02 PM Post #14,365 of 46,554
  Anyone know how the Little Dot MK IV would pair with the HD650?

Thought you wanted SS? If you want musical and will go tubes, I'd say go Crack... heard it recently... it really is very very musical.  Also... I haven't heard it myself... but from the reviews that many others have posted... the Asgard 2 does not seem "veiled"... perhaps you might consider it being the sound signature of your DAC coming through (since it is tube) and the brighter energy being the amp in the Aune compensating for it? could be possible??
confused.gif
haha dunno I'm just guessing here. But it's just odd to hear that being said bout the Asgard 2... or even any Schiit amp as a whole... the Lyr and Mojo both seem to have plenty of energy to me... don't see how Asgard 2 should fall too far from the tree.

Nov 14, 2013 at 10:30 PM Post #14,366 of 46,554
  Can't go past the Q for ergonomics and quality. I used this with my LCD-2 but these "earrings" can be ordered from Q to convert it for use with the HD650. Steve is a good guy who looks after his customers.

I like the look of that, might have to start tinkering with modification on my 650's, still stock with no experience modding headphones, at least not yet. Time to dig around some tutorials :)

Nov 16, 2013 at 6:54 PM Post #14,369 of 46,554
Guys! I am into maybe 80 hours of burn-in on my HD650s and a remarkable increase in quality has happened. Am I imagining this? We're talking timbre and immediacy rather than soundstage... Gosh, these cans are beautiful. Why did I have to be 60 years old before these beauties arrived on my head? All right. That's a bit gushy. But it's true. IMHO.

Nov 16, 2013 at 9:59 PM Post #14,370 of 46,554
I've sold D2000, DT880 (250 ohm version), Grado RS 225, as they were not getting nearly enough use to keep them. Of course I kept my HD650 though. I still miss the other headphones for time to time for specific uses but in my opinion none of them do what the 650s do - they are great all rounders that make music enjoyable to listen to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back