Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Nov 11, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #14,296 of 46,554
Thank you, Joebobbilly! The truth of the matter is that I like both sets of cans. I am a mainly classical listener, so the extra bass and timbral richness (and truth-telling) of the HD650s is already delighting me. The new cable was a big shock, as it sounded completely different to the stock cable. It took away the 'veil' which is so often referred to, but opened up the soundstage so much that there is a gap in the middle in some recordings. It also, briefly, imitated the digital glare of the Q701s on the upper-mids. That has now settled down. These are now my standard headphones. The warmth is now more subtle.

The Q701s are still splendid at some things. I am still trying to kill the digital glare by long-term burning-in. All my desk equipment is new, however. Audiolab M-DAC, Lovely Cube amp, HD650s. It's all burning in together. I think that the amp is a better fit for the Senns than for the AKG.

On the menu at the moment: The 1958 'Sacre du Printemps' with Lenny and the NYPO. A long-time recording for hi-fi show-offs, it still sounds fine, but no dynamic lower than mezzo-forte is favoured! Not subtle, maybe, but good for burning-in!

Interestingly, the 'gap' seems to be decreasing. Or my ears are compensating.
confused_face_2.gif

Nov 11, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #14,297 of 46,554
  Thank you, Joebobbilly! The truth of the matter is that I like both sets of cans. I am a mainly classical listener, so the extra bass and timbral richness (and truth-telling) of the HD650s is already delighting me. The new cable was a big shock, as it sounded completely different to the stock cable. It took away the 'veil' which is so often referred to, but opened up the soundstage so much that there is a gap in the middle in some recordings. It also, briefly, imitated the digital glare of the Q701s on the upper-mids. That has now settled down. These are now my standard headphones. The warmth is now more subtle.

The Q701s are still splendid at some things. I am still trying to kill the digital glare by long-term burning-in. All my desk equipment is new, however. Audiolab M-DAC, Lovely Cube amp, HD650s. It's all burning in together. I think that the amp is a better fit for the Senns than for the AKG.

On the menu at the moment: The 1958 'Sacre du Printemps' with Lenny and the NYPO. A long-time recording for hi-fi show-offs, it still sounds fine, but no dynamic lower than mezzo-forte is favoured! Not subtle, maybe, but good for burning-in!

Interestingly, the 'gap' seems to be decreasing. Or my ears are compensating.
confused_face_2.gif

Honestly, I like the HD650 for all type of music except classical orchestra music. 

Nov 11, 2013 at 7:36 PM Post #14,298 of 46,554
Amictus, can u post a foto of your new cable...what is it made of? :p
i love listening to classicals on my hd650...i get wrapped into the music..enrapturing..rapturing...something along that line.:p

Nov 12, 2013 at 1:15 AM Post #14,299 of 46,554

Honestly, I like the HD650 for all type of music except classical orchestra music. 

Really?? I love Beethoven's 6th thru the Mojo/Gun stack!

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:06 AM Post #14,302 of 46,554
Hey folks, just ordered a JDS 02 amp and a HD650. I was wondering if the DACs in either a 2012 MacBook Pro Retina or 2013 iMac be sufficient to drive the 02 and HD650, or would I need a stand-alone DAC?

It will be enough at the beginning, but you'll want more of the goodness. You could have ordered the O2 + ODAC combo.

Nov 12, 2013 at 2:13 AM Post #14,303 of 46,554
BTW, the alpha pads r almost the same size as the hd650 pads...just slightly bigger...90% sitting inside the rim.
u can simple scotchtape up the sides n u have a lambskin treat, if u are not particular of how it looks.
Or u can force squeeze the alphapads into the rim, n have a slightly distorted inner hole :p

Soundwise...i believe i lose a little of the lower bass, music sounded somewhat tunnelled/focused/brighter.
I am guessing u might like it on the stock cable..but i am using a spc cable, so its tending towards a T1 kind of sound.
(if u know what i am trying to say...hmmm) 

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:35 AM Post #14,304 of 46,554
Lorspeaker - here's a couple of photos. I selected ones which give a better impression of the cable used, which is h-e-a-v-y and inflexible.

Nov 12, 2013 at 3:59 AM Post #14,305 of 46,554

Amictus, can u post a foto of your new cable...what is it made of? :p
i love listening to classicals on my hd650...i get wrapped into the music..enrapturing..rapturing...something along that line.:p

Well, for me, the jury is still out. After much switching and comparison, I ended up yesterday evening listening to come of Stravinsky's 'The Firebird' conducted by Ernest Ansermet in a miraculously good 1955 recording. I was congratulating myself on the magnificence of the HD650s rendering of the music and was very surprised to discover, when I took the cans off, that I had left the Q701s on! I think that both headphones are recording specific at the moment... by which I mean that there are some recordings that will suit one and some that will suit the other.

I will post musical impressions as time goes on with the burning-in. I have stopped buying new kit for a while!

Nov 12, 2013 at 4:45 AM Post #14,306 of 46,554
Ya..looks stiff..could be some solidcore wires tats gonna pump some honey into your cans:)

Some cans do bring out the best in some recordings.
Played a 'bad recordg' awhile ago on the d7000,
And i said to myself..where did this cd come from???:wink:

Nov 12, 2013 at 8:59 AM Post #14,308 of 46,554
  Here is my after market 650 cable. Super soft, and flexible. Maybe the best I've ever used.

you have mini-XLR on your hd650??? what wires are you using?

Nov 12, 2013 at 9:06 AM Post #14,309 of 46,554
Can't go past the Q for ergonomics and quality. I used this with my LCD-2 but these "earrings" can be ordered from Q to convert it for use with the HD650. Steve is a good guy who looks after his customers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back