Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jan 25, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #10,426 of 46,499
Quote:
Pretty much, I assume people love the warmness from the Hd-650's, I'm guessing if the majority of the people wanted a more balanced sound they would have gotten the Hd-600.

Strange, the HD-650 sounds more balanced to me. I think there's only one other person here who thinks this though!
I don't know if I could stand the HD-650 with a very warm amp. I even get annoyed when I use it with my Clip+ (which is warm) and amp.

I haven't tried the Lyr or any tube amps, but i have a good feeling i'd prefer the HD-650 on very transparent/neutral sounding equipment.

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #10,427 of 46,499
I was leaning towards the Lyr/Bifrost combo, but now I dont know...that or Bottlehead Crack...?

If you like the DIY aspect or want to pair your 650s with other high impedance cans get the crack
If you want a better looking amp or want to pair your 650s with orthos get the lyr

It seems like most HD-650 owners choose amps and dacs that match the sound of the headphones, rather than complement them. That is, they pair the warm headphones with warm amps. This doubles down on the desired sound character, literally amplifying the strengths. Why not feed the HD-650s with something a bit cooler, with the goal of balancing the warm headphone sound out with complementary strength at the other end of the spectrum in the amp (or DAC)? Or would that just cancel out the strengths of each element and dilute the desired sound of the HD-650?
The 650s have a distinct signature. Watering down that signature isn't as enjoyable IME.

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:58 AM Post #10,428 of 46,499
Quote:
It seems like most HD-650 owners choose amps and dacs that match the sound of the headphones, rather than complement them. That is, they pair the warm headphones with warm amps. This doubles down on the desired sound character, literally amplifying the strengths. Why not feed the HD-650s with something a bit cooler, with the goal of balancing the warm headphone sound out with complementary strength at the other end of the spectrum in the amp (or DAC)? Or would that just cancel out the strengths of each element and dilute the desired sound of the HD-650?

Some like to pair it with warm sounding sources, some like to pair it with colder ones. It's personal preferences i think

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:19 AM Post #10,429 of 46,499
She also chewed up a 15 foot Cardas cable.....I literally cried the first time since my child was born.
That is not a loss actually and no reason to cry. I cried when i bought a cardas cable for 300 bucks and realized that it wont make my cans sound better at all. Fortunately i was able to return it to the seller and get a refund.

Jan 25, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #10,430 of 46,499
Quote:
I was planning on buying it for the Lcd-2s, but sounding good with the HD 650 is a bonus.The 650s are probably my favorite all-time cans (just love them out of the Lyr).

She also chewed up a 15 foot Cardas cable.....I literally cried the first time since my child was born.

That must be a puppy you've got there!! You want to see real tears? I'm home today with the school closing due to weather...daddy day care. I have four girls. 
size]
 They will either kill each other or me. It'll be a close call. 

Jan 25, 2013 at 9:23 AM Post #10,431 of 46,499
Quote:
confused.gif
You are suggesting something you have never heard over something you have never heard...........why do people do this constantly??? Sound is subjective own/demo the gear then make suggestions.

End rant
bigsmile_face.gif

Hah, I know what you mean this is a problem at head fi and I completely agree that sound is subjective. But! I clearly stated that what I was saying was based on reviews, other peoples impressions, I never once said that it was my opinion. I've looked at a lot of reviews for the Lyr and Crack because I'm thinking of getting either one but decided to go for the crack and I have just ordered it (The 3-4 week wait sucks). I'll post back here with my opinion once I've listened to it.

End rant
bigsmile_face.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 10:13 AM Post #10,432 of 46,499
Quote:

Hah, I know what you mean this is a problem at head fi and I completely agree that sound is subjective. But! I clearly stated that what I was saying was based on reviews, other peoples impressions, I never once said that it was my opinion. I've looked at a lot of reviews for the Lyr and Crack because I'm thinking of getting either one but decided to go for the crack and I have just ordered it (The 3-4 week wait sucks). I'll post back here with my opinion once I've listened to it.

End rant
bigsmile_face.gif

Reviews are subjective bits of information, you can sometimes gather information from those bits when they are consistent.

I am sure you will enjoy the Crack, happy listening with it. I meant nothing personal at you, I have just spent a ton of money in this hobby(so many mistakes and disappointments). So needless to say I will never comment on gear I have never heard/owned and steer people in the wrong direction based on hearsay.

I have heard the Crack/HD650 but do not own it so I will not comment because I did not get enough head-time with the combo. I do own an Lyr and I can definitively say that the synergy with the 650 and the Lyr are amazing.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:37 PM Post #10,433 of 46,499
Jan 25, 2013 at 12:43 PM Post #10,434 of 46,499
I know a guy in the U.S. on Head-Fi that makes custom (Whatever color wire (except clear), techflex, braid, and Y-split) silver Sennheiser cables for around $5 profit ($50) for fun on his own time. I'll PM you his name if you want. :wink:

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:46 PM Post #10,435 of 46,499
For $47 it's considerably cheaper than most cables, if you do decide to order let me know how it sounds!

I'm not really a cable believer either but there are so many people on head-fi that seem to think it alters the sound in a positive way. The thing that makes me sceptical is that companies like Sennheiser spend years on research developing their headphones and yet apparently a simple aftermarket cable improves them...

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:48 PM Post #10,436 of 46,499
Quote:
I know a guy in the U.S. on Head-Fi that makes custom (Whatever color wire (except clear), techflex, braid, and Y-split) silver Sennheiser cables for around $5 profit ($50) for fun on his own time. I'll PM you his name if you want.
wink.gif

Hahaha!! Sure, PM me "his" name... 
biggrin.gif

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:50 PM Post #10,437 of 46,499

Quote:
For $47 it's considerably cheaper than most cables, if you do decide to order let me know how it sounds!

I'm not really a cable believer either but there are so many people on head-fi that seem to think it alters the sound in a positive way. The thing that makes me sceptical is that companies like Sennheiser spend years on research developing their headphones and yet apparently a simple aftermarket cable improves them...

Which is why cable discussions have always been a huge can of worms. My interest in this one is purely for aesthetics and functionality. A shorter, lighter cable would probably work better with my rig placement.

Jan 25, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #10,438 of 46,499
Quote:
Reviews are subjective bits of information, you can sometimes gather information from those bits when they are consistent.

I am sure you will enjoy the Crack, happy listening with it. I meant nothing personal at you, I have just spent a ton of money in this hobby(so many mistakes and disappointments). So needless to say I will never comment on gear I have never heard/owned and steer people in the wrong direction based on hearsay.

I have heard the Crack/HD650 but do not own it so I will not comment because I did not get enough head-time with the combo. I do own an Lyr and I can definitively say that the synergy with the 650 and the Lyr are amazing.

Yes I completely agree. Any purchase I've made so far have been based on opinions from reviews. You need to take each review with a pinch of salt, but when you start seeing consistent reviews then you can start to use that information more wisely.

I think when you look at products such as the Lyr and Crack, the reviews are very consistent and most people would be very satisfied with either.

I would really like to audition a Lyr but apart from attending a meet there isn't much of an opportunity. I have to trust in the reviews to make sure I'm buying the right product for me, so far that has paid off (HD650, Fiio E9/E7 and M80)

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:06 PM Post #10,439 of 46,499
Quote:

Which is why cable discussions have always been a huge can of worms. My interest in this one is purely for aesthetics and functionality. A shorter, lighter cable would probably work better with my rig placement.

I completely agree. my D2000 stock cable is a pain in the butt. if I wasn't worried about messing it up, i would prob try to recable them lol

Jan 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #10,440 of 46,499
Quote:

Just got my in, yesterday. Will check back on my thoughts, haven't time to try out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back