Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Dec 19, 2012 at 11:42 AM Post #9,706 of 46,554
Quote:
Yeah, if I was gonna buy a cable, it'd be for durability, length, aesthetics. Sound is the last thing I expect to notice from a cable.
I already wanna send my Yuin G1A to anyone who could recable them. That stock cable looks hella cheap, and I don't even have it yet.

I'm pretty much in the same boat.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:00 PM Post #9,707 of 46,554
Quote:
I only buy cables now for their looks..
biggrin.gif

Toxic Cable Silver Widow Litz....Gorgeous and (to me at least) they sound fantastic!

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:43 PM Post #9,708 of 46,554
I've just bought a Silver plated copper cable for my HD650......only because I use them at a desk and the 3 metre stock cable is way to long.

I am hoping however that I will hear a slight improvement, if I do I may look at a more expensive upgrade to the Silver Widow in the new year, however I need to sort my DAC and Amp out first and see what improvements in sound and dynamics that provides.

Dec 19, 2012 at 12:46 PM Post #9,709 of 46,554
Quote:

I am hoping however that I will hear a slight improvement, if I do I may look at a more expensive upgrade to the Silver Widow in the new year, however I need to sort my DAC and Amp out first and see what improvements in sound and dynamics that provides.

DAC and/or amp would make a much bigger difference in sound than getting a new cable so settling on those items first is a good start.  Like others, I only made a shorter cable for my HD650's because the stock one was way too long for sitting at my desk. 

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:00 PM Post #9,710 of 46,554
I don't want to lose all of my audiophile "street cred" here, but I do notice and appreciate a well made cable when I see one.  The potential audible benefits being ignored, I think cheap looking plastic coated cables take away from an otherwise well-made product.  If I buy a $500 headphone, I expect everything on it to have the look and feel of money I spent.  This is one area I think Sennheiser could use a little improvement.  The HD-650 uses great materials and has a refined, if somewhat dated, look to it.  The cheap looking cable that is included feels out of place.  It seems as though it is of decent quality, but I think the attention to detail should extend to the cable as well.  

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:14 PM Post #9,711 of 46,554
I don't want to lose all of my audiophile "street cred" here, but I do notice and appreciate a well made cable when I see one.  The potential audible benefits being ignored, I think cheap looking plastic coated cables take away from an otherwise well-made product.  If I buy a $500 headphone, I expect everything on it to have the look and feel of money I spent.  This is one area I think Sennheiser could use a little improvement.  The HD-650 uses great materials and has a refined, if somewhat dated, look to it.  The cheap looking cable that is included feels out of place.  It seems as though it is of decent quality, but I think the attention to detail should extend to the cable as well.  
I can see your point of view here. I appreciate attention to detail as well. On a strictly functional standpoint I prefer the 650 cable over the stock hd580 cable. That is why i use the 650 cable on my 580.

Dec 19, 2012 at 1:38 PM Post #9,713 of 46,554
I don't usually discuss cables because I don't want to change anything about the 650s sound, but this stock cable gets caught on everything. Even the stock T50RP cable is more accommodating.

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:02 PM Post #9,716 of 46,554
hi guys, im a newbie. i just got my first decent headphones, amplifiers and DACs are totally bewildering to me, but i have 2 thingies here if anyone can advise?

this one TOPPING TP30
http://www.audioheuristics.org/markk_wp/?p=163

and this obscure valve amplifier SHENGYI MINI P1 AMP
http://www.adverts.ie/home-audio/shengyi-mini-p1-tube-amplifier/2315777

which of these 2 machines would anyone recommend to use to drive my 650s? i will be listening to flac files played through my mp3 players.

thanks in advance guys, i appreciate your help.

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:20 PM Post #9,717 of 46,554
hi guys, im a newbie. i just got my first decent headphones, amplifiers and DACs are totally bewildering to me, but i have 2 thingies here if anyone can advise?

this one TOPPING TP30

which of these 2 machines would anyone recommend to use to drive my 650s? i will be listening to flac files played through my mp3 players.

Why don't you get an O2 from JDS?

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:30 PM Post #9,718 of 46,554
Quote:
Why don't you get an O2 from JDS?

Quote:

this one TOPPING TP30

Or... maybe the new Schiit Modi and Magni stack?! I've heard good things, and have read good things. People say this maybe a killer at the 200 price range for the HD 650s

Dec 19, 2012 at 2:41 PM Post #9,719 of 46,554
Or... maybe the new Schiit Modi and Magni stack?! I've heard good things, and have read good things. People say this maybe a killer at the 200 price range for the HD 650s
It's supposed to have a tiny sound stage and stuff... no good for Sennys.

Dec 19, 2012 at 3:05 PM Post #9,720 of 46,554
Quote:
I have had both good and bad experiences with cables. The first recable that I did was with a pair of d2k's. I replaced the stock cable with a nice and expensive pure silver cable. It was one of the worst purchases I've made in this hobby. It made a hp that was already bright even brighter and robbed it of the smooth luscious bass that is the hallmark of this headphone. It was not a small difference. I sat there with the newly recabled hp and thought, I've got to be a complete moron. And I was pretty much right. 

Now on the other side of the coin, I've had great experiences with cables on on the hd650 and he400. The silver dragon pairs wonderfully with the 650 and I loved the detail retreival despite being a pure silver cable. 

Cables do not give me a night and day difference in most cases for me. But they can make that small change you're looking for. I mostly buy them for ergonomics and custom lengths. 

Silver cables or even silver plated cables are a big no-no for me on any headphones that has lots of treble or is considered "thin". I know the D2000 isn't. My first experience with recables was when my DJ100 died after I sliced it's wires. I was stupid and bought some silver wire to recable it. After hours I found out it had a blown driver. What did I do? Recabled my KSC75 with it! Since that headphone is already quite bright anyway, it sounded even worse.

This whole cable nonsense is annoying for me because whenever I recable something it always changes slightly.  When recabling an HD-650 with silver, it probably just makes it less warm, brighter and thinner sounding. When I use my DHC cable on my 650 it does this and I don't like that. That warm and full sound of the 650 stock cable goes away when I use something else. I was thinking a specific type of wire would be required to retain what I love about the HD-650. I think cheap Mogami or even the more expensive Cardas does it.

A bit off-topic, but does anyone know if the Cardas cable retains all the warmth of the stock cable on the 650? I don't want my 650 sounded more analytical, clearer or thinner. Usually when a cable makes a headphone sound clearer it's usually screwing up something else.

I'd love to find a hD-650 replacement cable that sounds mostly identical to stock, but still has the same warm sound. I'm trying to decide on making one with Mogami or splurging and getting the Cardas cable. If the cardas changes the sound too much I don't want it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back