Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 25, 2011 at 1:07 AM Post #4,246 of 46,554
Aug 25, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #4,247 of 46,554

Quote:

I disliked the HD 650 with the E7 by itself. The E9 will improve on EVERYTHING, I cannot stress that enough. In short, everything becomes much tighter and better defined, any murkiness you hear in the sound now should go away. 

Wow, I thought they sounded GOOD with just the E7, but I see what you're saying now. So very true, such an improvement.

Aug 25, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #4,248 of 46,554

Quote:

I disliked the HD 650 with the E7 by itself. The E9 will improve on EVERYTHING, I cannot stress that enough. In short, everything becomes much tighter and better defined, any murkiness you hear in the sound now should go away. 

To whoever asked about the E7 and 650 combo, I HATED it. I could not stand it. It sounded like everythign was directly on my left or right, and far away at that. When I switched to my headphone jack on my laptop, there was a fairly audible loss of overall quality and the sound had some "noise" to it, not exactly but I can't descirbe it any better. Like the E7 over USB sounded "cleaner". Anyway, there was a loss of quality, but the soundstage was actually htere! The vocals sounded centered and everything like it should. Then I traded the E7 for an iBasso D4 Mamba, and it sounds fine. The E9 should improve everythign greatly, but I don't have any experience with the E9, and the whole crappy soundstage thing could carry over since the E9 is like the big sister to the E7. Try it, if it sucks, return it. P.S. the amp upgrade PLUS burn in is probably what fixed the soundstage, since it gradually got better the more I listened, but still sucked.

FYI, don't expect any support from FiiO. My E7 just suddenly broke, and it wouldn't charge, no matter the percent it was already charged, unless I connected it then hit the reset button a few times, then the red FiiO light lit up. My L7 (gives line out, usb in for an E7 DAC without the E9) or the E7 was broken, because when I connected it, my computer didn't recognize it, it didn't charge, and the E7's top info bar with battery and stuff flickered and tore, etc. I bought a new L7 and when I connected that one the E7 simply shut off. I will NEVER, EVER buy a FiiO product again.

Aug 25, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #4,249 of 46,554

Quote:
To whoever asked about the E7 and 650 combo, I HATED it. I could not stand it. It sounded like everythign was directly on my left or right, and far away at that. When I switched to my headphone jack on my laptop, there was a fairly audible loss of overall quality and the sound had some "noise" to it, not exactly but I can't descirbe it any better. Like the E7 over USB sounded "cleaner". Anyway, there was a loss of quality, but the soundstage was actually htere! The vocals sounded centered and everything like it should. Then I traded the E7 for an iBasso D4 Mamba, and it sounds fine. The E9 should improve everythign greatly, but I don't have any experience with the E9, and the whole crappy soundstage thing could carry over since the E9 is like the big sister to the E7. Try it, if it sucks, return it. P.S. the amp upgrade PLUS burn in is probably what fixed the soundstage, since it gradually got better the more I listened, but still sucked.

FYI, don't expect any support from FiiO. My E7 just suddenly broke, and it wouldn't charge, no matter the percent it was already charged, unless I connected it then hit the reset button a few times, then the red FiiO light lit up. My L7 (gives line out, usb in for an E7 DAC without the E9) or the E7 was broken, because when I connected it, my computer didn't recognize it, it didn't charge, and the E7's top info bar with battery and stuff flickered and tore, etc. I bought a new L7 and when I connected that one the E7 simply shut off. I will NEVER, EVER buy a FiiO product again.

Uh, the E7 doesn't really have enough power to drive such high-impedance headphones so it won't sound that great. As for fixing the E7, I'd ask the retailer you bought it from about RMA (assuming you care enough to do so).

Aug 25, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #4,250 of 46,554
I got it from Amazon. I forgot to mention that I sent FiiO an email since their phone is local to China, not toll free, and a few weeks later and a few days after I traded it, I got an email in "Engrish."

Quote from email: "
Hi,
maybe L7 had damaged,please contact to your dealer to fix it.

best regards."

That was wrong, too. A new L7 was still messed up like I said.

Well anyway I traded it plus $70USD for an iBasso D4 Mamba and I am now satisfied. I didn't even wanna bother trying to get it fixed if I could get something better anyway. I didn't even think about the impedance, oops!

Quote:
Uh, the E7 doesn't really have enough power to drive such high-impedance headphones so it won't sound that great. As for fixing the E7, I'd ask the retailer you bought it from about RMA (assuming you care enough to do so).

Aug 27, 2011 at 7:59 PM Post #4,251 of 46,554
I figured this was probably th best place to ask a question abou the HD 650.

On craigslist some has had some HD 650's listed for $200 for awhile now. The problem is the part that is attached to the headband that hods the cup is broke. He claims they will still stay on your head even with the broke piece.

I have looked around online to see if I could find replacement parts but can't find anything. I haven't contacted Sennheiser. Does anyone know about how much that part would cost?

If it's not to expensive I may make him an offer less than his asking price.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:33 AM Post #4,256 of 46,554
Doing a direct swap with any of my other cans, the HD-650 still put a huge smile on my face immediately. Perfect bass, extremely clear treble, a midbass presentation that flatters nearly everything - when Sennheiser said "euphonic" with the launch hype of these they were not screwing around, what an extraordinarily pleasant listening experience. I feel a bit silly for having built a stable of other (excellent, worthwhile) headphones up, because half the time I'm listening to them I'm just wondering why I'm not using the HD-650s. So nice.

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #4,257 of 46,554
The HD650s just sound real to me, and while a component of that is definitely the fact that I've had them for the longest, I firmly believe that they have an amazingly balanced and natural presentation. 

Mr. Jeff Buckley (or not), I totally agree, I compare all my other headphones to what I hear with my HD650 when I listen, I just can't not do it. They play very nice with all the kinds of music that I listen to, I've never been left wanting more in the presentation, despite what I throw at it :)

Aug 28, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #4,258 of 46,554

Quote:
I figured this was probably th best place to ask a question abou the HD 650.

On craigslist some has had some HD 650's listed for $200 for awhile now. The problem is the part that is attached to the headband that hods the cup is broke. He claims they will still stay on your head even with the broke piece.

I have looked around online to see if I could find replacement parts but can't find anything. I haven't contacted Sennheiser. Does anyone know about how much that part would cost?

If it's not to expensive I may make him an offer less than his asking price.

Bit of a joke really, you'll need a new headband.

Aug 28, 2011 at 1:16 PM Post #4,260 of 46,554
Woo Audio 3 vs Schiit Asgard / Lyr?
NB the warmer, the better (soundwise).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back