Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 22, 2011 at 1:29 AM Post #4,216 of 46,554
Yep, very useful - I didn't even know you could remove the back like that.

Hmm. I think my HD 650's are addictive. Over time it does almost seem like they're sounding better. Probably more psychological adaption than burn-in though, but who knows. Hmm... I should buy another HD 650 and do a double-blind :) (nah I'm not that wasteful with my money... yet).

Also, I don't know how people can call them veiled. I was watching Tron Legacy blu-ray (great quality sound, sounds perfect on HD 650s), and really high tones like glass/metal clinking together for example sounds stunningly crystal clear. Maybe what people refer to is the boosted mid-bass, which perhaps distracts some people too much?

Aug 22, 2011 at 2:55 AM Post #4,219 of 46,554
and also the hundreds of posts where people could hear no difference between the old and new version...they were probably comparing old used headphones against newer less used ones..

Aug 22, 2011 at 8:51 AM Post #4,220 of 46,554
Yeah, I have the pre white mesh version and they have excellent clarity throughout the spectrum (and compete well with the DT-990s for being a very versatile headphone, the DT-990s have their own cool sound going on and are exceedingly comfortable though). There's a gentle mid-bass emphasis on the HD-650 but I love it, makes them well suited for cross-genre listening. They're fine for quiet-to-others movie watching, as well, with Dolby Headphone and virtualization they can challenge my home theater setup for supremacy for watching movies :)

Aug 22, 2011 at 1:21 PM Post #4,222 of 46,554
Or missed the hundreds of posts that say they can sound veiled if they are under-amp'ed. 
rolleyes.gif

Quote:
Quote:

You must have missed the hundreds of posts where everyone says the old version were veiled but not the new ones. 

Aug 22, 2011 at 7:38 PM Post #4,223 of 46,554

Quote:
FWIW,  Sennheiser also claims there is no difference in the sound.

Just like Beyer claims there's no difference among the T1s, which you know isn't true. They're just trying to save themselves the hassle and repercussions of admitting.

Aug 22, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #4,224 of 46,554

Quote:
Just like Beyer claims there's no difference among the T1s, which you know isn't true. They're just trying to save themselves the hassle and repercussions of admitting.

They are not the same.

The difference between the T-1s is not desirable and is in fact a defect.  The difference between the Sennheisers is considered, (by those who claim to hear it), to be an upgrade.   I can see why Beyer wouldn't want to admit to selling defective T-1s, but why wouldn't Sennheiser want to advertise an upgrade that would get them more sales?

Aug 23, 2011 at 1:39 AM Post #4,225 of 46,554

Quote:

They are not the same.

The difference between the T-1s is not desirable and is in fact a defect.  The difference between the Sennheisers is considered, (by those who claim to hear it), to be an upgrade.   I can see why Beyer wouldn't want to admit to selling defective T-1s, but why wouldn't Sennheiser want to advertise an upgrade that would get them more sales?

By admitting they changed the drivers, they would de-value the older ones and alienate/upset old customers, especially if they weren't willing to have a trade-in system in place.

Aug 23, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #4,227 of 46,554

Quote:
What differences is there among the T1's?

USG claims some are brighter/leaner than others. This is a discussion for the T1 thread so I won't go further OT.

Aug 23, 2011 at 11:00 PM Post #4,229 of 46,554

Bienvenue dans le'Club Dancingpotato! 
biggrin.gif

Quote:
    Well the HD650 appreciation club just got another member !!!!    
L3000.gif

Absolutely open 3D sound !!!! Beautifully sculpted and detailed holographic like experience !!!!
No veiled sound here ... quite to the contrary !!!!!

Using it from my MingDa MC84-CO7 <------- Grant Fidelity Dac-09 (tube out)  <--------- USB PC (Foobar 2000/Asio4All v210)

beerchug.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #4,230 of 46,554

Quote:
By admitting they changed the drivers, they would de-value the older ones and alienate/upset old customers, especially if they weren't willing to have a trade-in system in place.

Just the opposite could be argued.  Now they are using 595 drivers (to cut their costs), instead of the original 650 drivers.

Quote:
BOOM! <3 my HD-650's.

Enjoy !!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back