Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 24, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #4,233 of 46,554
Picked up a pair of HD650's a couple of weeks ago after much deliberation. Wow, what can I say - the 650's are velvety smooth. If it were a drink it would be a Bailey's.

You could listen to these all day (and night) long without a hint of fatigue.

BEST. HEADPHONES. EVER.

Aug 24, 2011 at 1:44 PM Post #4,234 of 46,554
Picked up my HD650s last weekend and been falling in love ever since. I'm currently using my E7 that I had from before while I wait for my E9 to arrive. Is there anyone with this combination that can share with my what to expect from the HD650 when I update from E7 to E7+E9?

Aug 24, 2011 at 3:59 PM Post #4,235 of 46,554

Quote:
Picked up my HD650s last weekend and been falling in love ever since. I'm currently using my E7 that I had from before while I wait for my E9 to arrive. Is there anyone with this combination that can share with my what to expect from the HD650 when I update from E7 to E7+E9?

I disliked the HD 650 with the E7 by itself. The E9 will improve on EVERYTHING, I cannot stress that enough. In short, everything becomes much tighter and better defined, any murkiness you hear in the sound now should go away. 

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:06 PM Post #4,236 of 46,554

Quote:

I disliked the HD 650 with the E7 by itself. The E9 will improve on EVERYTHING, I cannot stress that enough. In short, everything becomes much tighter and better defined, any murkiness you hear in the sound now should go away. 

Nice. I do feel like the sound could be more defined at times and hope that the E9 will re-revolutionize my music experience like the HD650s did just this week. I'll try to share my thoughts as soon as the E9 arrives, which feels like an eternity from now.

Aug 24, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #4,237 of 46,554
Count me in the club too. I was virgin just a few days ago. After a long research I jumped on board, why not get a classic to enjoy in the autumn. Still burning them in (15 hours ), but sound way better than my cheaper Grado 125i allready. Agree on all the positve that have been said about them. Maybe the sound is a little too warm and dark with my Musical Fidelity X-Can V8P tube amp, but the X-can drive them like a dream. We will see the next 100-200 hours what will change. If Im not totally happy my hand will be forced to get the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA (pure class A amp) in october. Heard it´s a good match. I will do everything to make my HD650 feel at home and sing like a mockingbird
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 8:12 PM Post #4,240 of 46,554
Welcome in the club!  Before you change your X-Can V8P just try a nice 6922 Amperex and I'm sure you will be please with the result. You can get more info on tubes Here. I owned this amplifier and still miss it to these day. Ton's of power and very smooth.

Quote:
Count me in the club too. I was virgin just a few days ago. After a long research I jumped on board, why not get a classic to enjoy in the autumn. Still burning them in (15 hours ), but sound way better than my cheaper Grado 125i allready. Agree on all the positve that have been said about them. Maybe the sound is a little too warm and dark with my Musical Fidelity X-Can V8P tube amp, but the X-can drive them like a dream. We will see the next 100-200 hours what will change. If Im not totally happy my hand will be forced to get the Musical Fidelity M1 HPA (pure class A amp) in october. Heard it´s a good match. I will do everything to make my HD650 feel at home and sing like a mockingbird
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #4,241 of 46,554

Quote:

Nice. I do feel like the sound could be more defined at times and hope that the E9 will re-revolutionize my music experience like the HD650s did just this week. I'll try to share my thoughts as soon as the E9 arrives, which feels like an eternity from now.

You should hear them on a 3 channel B22 or GS-1.
wink.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 9:58 PM Post #4,242 of 46,554
Mine improved immensely during the first 100 hours. They should only sound better and better during this period of time.

Quote:
biggrin.gif

Aug 24, 2011 at 11:03 PM Post #4,245 of 46,554

Quote:
It's startling how many people are picking the HD650s as their first phones.  Smart.

Add me to the HD650 appreciation society.  Knew nothing about hps before discovering head-fi.org.  Read the threads, then managed an audition of the 650s before buying from a fellow head-fier.  That was a few weeks ago and I can safely say, no regrets whatsoever!  The real surprise is that I'm driving the 650s thru the hp-out of my vintage (early '80s) Onkyo Integra integrated amp and they sound wonderfully detailed and musical.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back