Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #3,961 of 46,535
So, that silver paper like material is not considered the diaphragm?  I assumed the plastic material covering the voice coil and driver magnet was referred to as the membrane.   If so, I stand corrected.  It's much more than just simple cosmetic changes, the new material is much more resistant to changes in climate as in very cold to very hot and humid climates.  The older black materials were prone to sagging after long exposure(months) to such conditions. 

Sennheiser has not officially confirmed a change was made sonically, but many(through AB testing) have confirmed that the updated HD580/600/650 do in fact sound brighter than the older versions.  The change was reported made sometime around 2006.  At the time the HD580 was still in production.

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #3,962 of 46,535
I'd need to see an exploded view of it but that doesn't appear to be part of the driver itself, which would include the magnet, voice coil, and speaker assembly... That's something to do with the supporting structure and dampening of the enclosure to my eyes? I don't doubt that it could have some impact on the sound, but I believe, generally speaking, that the diaphragm is limited to a certain part of the driver itself which vibrates to produce the sound.

I purchased mine around that time period, but I am unsure which sort I have. They've been through a dorm, put in storage and taken out again, and moved several degrees latitude south into an even more hot and humid environment, but they still sound as nice as they ever have (once the ear cushions broke in a bit, a long, long time ago). If failure under those conditions indicates an older model, perhaps I've got the newer ones. I am not particularly willing to disassemble mine to find out, content rather to enjoy them and let it remain a mystery :) For what it's worth, they have never exhibited any sound that I would refer to as "veiled."

Aug 2, 2011 at 9:40 PM Post #3,963 of 46,535

Quote:
I'd need to see an exploded view of it but that doesn't appear to be part of the driver itself, which would include the magnet, voice coil, and speaker assembly... That's something to do with the supporting structure and dampening of the enclosure to my eyes? I don't doubt that it could have some impact on the sound, but I believe, generally speaking, that the diaphragm is limited to a certain part of the driver itself which vibrates to produce the sound.

I purchased mine around that time period, but I am unsure which sort I have. They've been through a dorm, put in storage and taken out again, and moved several degrees latitude south into an even more hot and humid environment, but they still sound as nice as they ever have (once the ear cushions broke in a bit, a long, long time ago). If failure under those conditions indicates an older model, perhaps I've got the newer ones. I am not particularly willing to disassemble mine to find out, content rather to enjoy them and let it remain a mystery :) For what it's worth, they have never exhibited any sound that I would refer to as "veiled."

Kinda skimmed through the last few posts, so I may have missed something--but you should be able to tell whether or not you've got the 'new' ones by just looking into the grill, without having to take the headphones apart. On mine it's very obvious when I look into the grills (especially with a light on) that I've got the 'new' ones--there are a lot more silver bits, whatever they are.

Aug 3, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #3,964 of 46,535

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalsonata /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I've got the 'new' ones--there are a lot more silver bits, whatever they are.

Some quotes would make excellent forum signatures when taken out of context. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2011 at 9:17 AM Post #3,965 of 46,535
Having been fairly content with my Denon D5000 and various Grado iterations for quite some time, I am admittedly a late-comer to the HD 650.  After the last month of using the HD 650 with my Schiit Valhalla and NuForce HD, I must say my Grados and Denon have been relegated to their respective boxes.  Although I have owned both the HD 600 and HD 598, both left me a little dissatisfied.  The HD 650 just affords my listening style and musical genres everything I had desired and missed with all the others.  I am quite pleased and happy to say I am no longer a headphone-whore. :)  It took me a while, but I'm now 'there!'

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:08 PM Post #3,967 of 46,535

Quote:
Having been fairly content with my Denon D5000 and various Grado iterations for quite some time, I am admittedly a late-comer to the HD 650.  After the last month of using the HD 650 with my Schiit Valhalla and NuForce HD, I must say my Grados and Denon have been relegated to their respective boxes.  Although I have owned both the HD 600 and HD 598, both left me a little dissatisfied.  The HD 650 just affords my listening style and musical genres everything I had desired and missed with all the others.  I am quite pleased and happy to say I am no longer a headphone-whore. :)  It took me a while, but I'm now 'there!'

I'm very interested in hearing more about your experience with the HD650 powered by your NuForce vs, Schiit amps. Would you mind sharing your impressions?

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #3,968 of 46,535

Quote:

Kinda skimmed through the last few posts, so I may have missed something--but you should be able to tell whether or not you've got the 'new' ones by just looking into the grill, without having to take the headphones apart. On mine it's very obvious when I look into the grills (especially with a light on) that I've got the 'new' ones--there are a lot more silver bits, whatever they are.

I'm out of town right now, but I seem to remember my HD650 owner's manual mentioning something about them being re-engineered for a new sound (evolving for changing tastes). I'll look for it when I get home

Aug 3, 2011 at 11:20 PM Post #3,969 of 46,535

Quote:
I'm out of town right now, but I seem to remember my HD650 owner's manual mentioning something about them being re-engineered for a new sound (evolving for changing tastes). I'll look for it when I get home

Now that you've brought it up, that rings a bell.

Aug 4, 2011 at 2:03 AM Post #3,973 of 46,535

Quote:

I finally redid the balanced cable of my HD650. As expected, the violet
matches with the titanium silver nicely.

I don't know about you, but I think the sexiness of my HD650 just went
up by 10pts. 

Nice job, and definately sexier! they make mine look like old slags.... !
tongue.gif

Aug 4, 2011 at 7:19 AM Post #3,975 of 46,535

Quote:
I'm very interested in hearing more about your experience with the HD650 powered by your NuForce vs, Schiit amps. Would you mind sharing your impressions?

I'm not very adept at describing SQ since it is a very subjective experience.  Suffice to say though both my NuForce HD and Schiit Valhalla do the HD650 justice.  Both provide ample power and any perceived differences are minimal with perhaps a slight edge to the Valhalla overall for dynamics and a certain "creamy" and smooth sound which appeals to me.  Others may have entirely different opinions.  Personally I listen mostly to Jazz, female vocalists, and some classical.  YMMV.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back