Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 30, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #3,932 of 46,504

Quote:

The most surprising thing to me is the amount of distortion present. Through the HD650 I find listening to some 2011 chart songs unbearable. Even through crappy apple buds, I'm sure its still present. Take '6 foot 7 foot' by lil wayne as example. ( A bad song i know) His voice is peaking the whole way through.

Not a bad song at all. Would be even better if the song was better recorded. But yeah, that's just the state of things. Even songs that don't even brickwall sound pretty bad, like Kelly Rowland's "Motivation." The song is well-recorded in terms of preserving dynamics, but for some reason, her vocals get peaky.

Jul 30, 2011 at 6:14 AM Post #3,933 of 46,504
Wow. Do you have the exact same dac as me? Configured in the exact same way? Do you use the same cables as well?
wink.gif

I'm sorry if I'm not swept away by your rave findings in the tube rolling thread. I don't believe I've stated anywhere that the Orange Globes are the be all and end all, as you seem to exclaim with regularity for the different flavor of the week tubes to your followers. I've also stated that my Amperex tubes don't have the same synergy with the rev.2 as the HD650 in my rig.

I stand by my praise of the Amperex tubes with the HD650 in my system though. Thanks for letting me know that what I consider incredible synergy is merely average in your estimation.

ôô
Ö

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:15 AM Post #3,935 of 46,504
I'm sorry to interrupt you, but I'm looking at the Matrix M-Stage as my next amp - What do you guys use to feed your HD650?

My current setup is computer -> Asus Xonar -> NO resampling! -> Superpro 707 DAC -> Maverick Tubemagic A1 w. Mullard tubes. Any suggestions for a new amp without breaking the bank? Not looking to spend more than $400. I don't mind buying used but I'm in the EU, so there's a wall of tax to fight unless buying from within the EU.

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #3,936 of 46,504
I also apologise about interrupting you too, but being (relatively) new to high-end headphones and amps, I am considering changing from my HD595s to the HD650s. Two things: as I'm using a Little Dot Mk II amp, are there any tubes anyone could suggest that I could replace the stock tubes to give a warmer sound, and if it's worth doing in the first place since I'm not quite as clued up to subtleties in sound as others are, and secondly what 'advantages' do the 650s have over the 595s in terms of sound quality? (I'm sure I could find the information buried somewhere in the many thousands of posts on this forum, but that's a lot to look at!)

Jul 30, 2011 at 8:58 AM Post #3,937 of 46,504

Quote:
I'm sorry to interrupt you, but I'm looking at the Matrix M-Stage as my next amp - What do you guys use to feed your HD650?

My current setup is computer -> Asus Xonar -> NO resampling! -> Superpro 707 DAC -> Maverick Tubemagic A1 w. Mullard tubes. Any suggestions for a new amp without breaking the bank? Not looking to spend more than $400. I don't mind buying used but I'm in the EU, so there's a wall of tax to fight unless buying from within the EU.

Already upgrading from the A1? :)
Get a good OTL tube amp, a bottlehead crack is like $300 or so. Or an Audiotailer jade.
Or wait for a WA3 to show up in the FS section

Jul 30, 2011 at 10:59 AM Post #3,938 of 46,504
Not upgrading - just curious to try other amps :)

I hooked up a set of studio monitors to the A1 and I'm wildly impressed by how well it drives them. Sadly, my house was built in a hurry in 1974, apparently entirely from cardboard. This means that when I finally get some time to sit down and listen, I can't use the speakers 'cause it'll wake up the kids :frowning2:

Jul 30, 2011 at 1:25 PM Post #3,939 of 46,504

Quote:
Sorry should explained myself better, I own the 650's and am looking at the LCD2's as next purchase. Some very helpful points though thanks

Well that just makes life 10x easier. Just save up, buy the LCD2, hold onto both for awhile (at least 6 months), then decide which one you want to let go. Don't make the same mistake as I did and sell off your HD650.  

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:53 PM Post #3,940 of 46,504
Well that just makes life 10x easier. Just save up, buy the LCD2, hold onto both for awhile (at least 6 months), then decide which one you want to let go. Don't make the same mistake as I did and sell off your HD650.  

I upgraded to the LCD-2 about 5 months ago and stil lhave my 5 year old HD650's I love them still use them all the time for my guitar rig...

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:19 AM Post #3,941 of 46,504
Hi everyone,
I'm sorry to throw out some new thoughts or derail anything but I just wanted to say 2 things(now):

1. I'm new to Headfi and love my hd650s!
2. I'm pleasantly surprised to see so much love for these old cans which many reviewers have written off in favor of new stuff.

Peace!

Aug 2, 2011 at 8:52 AM Post #3,942 of 46,504
^ Welcome to Head-Fi. If you like the sound signature, the HD650 is the bee's knees. Good balance of price to performance, and it will continue to reward as your chain improves. Under-appreciated on these forums imo.

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:09 AM Post #3,944 of 46,504

Quote:
I actually find the HD650 very appreciated on here (HD600 a little less)

but people seem to get the hd650 and underamp them.  at first i thought they were good with a 120$ amp but after a little while, i was looking for more.  now that i have a very expensive amp, the hd650 truly shines as a reference headphone. yes the signature might not be for everyone but they sound amazing. 

Aug 2, 2011 at 10:43 AM Post #3,945 of 46,504
I agree. everyone is always recommending cheep amps as if they are supergreat. I'm sure some have a good price/quality ratio but the difference between a fiio 9 and a +700$ amp is very clear with the HD650s. The better the amp, the better it shines

That doesnt mean that someone with an entry setup cant like the sound he gets, after all it's all about the fun. If you're happy, you're happy :wink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back