Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 29, 2011 at 7:10 PM Post #3,916 of 46,505
Awesome! I have a Darkvoice 337 that I bought from mlarn who bought it from Skylab and mlarn specifically mentioned the synergy between it, the DT880s, and the 600/650s in the listing for it, and I like warm so tubes should go well with that :wink: Plus, I read that other similar (close modeled) DV amps go well with the 650s.

Quote:
Based on the description you just provided, I think you'll love them 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:12 PM Post #3,917 of 46,505
It always sounded like that distorted bass is part of the recording and not the speakers/headphones. Plus I hate Lil Wayne for purposely making his voice sound kinda like a robot and all computerized etc (hear album Im Not A Human Being).

Quote:

The most surprising thing to me is the amount of distortion present. Through the HD650 I find listening to some 2011 chart songs unbearable. Even through crappy apple buds, I'm sure its still present. Take '6 foot 7 foot' by lil wayne as example. ( A bad song i know) His voice is peaking the whole way through.

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:18 PM Post #3,918 of 46,505

Quote:
It always sounded like that distorted bass is part of the recording and not the speakers/headphones. Plus I hate Lil Wayne for purposely making his voice sound kinda like a robot and all computerized etc (hear album Im Not A Human Being).

Yes, the bass is definitely done like that on purpose. I'm certain that's because its easier for cheap earbuds to reproduce. While Ive listened to lil wayne since his good days, I understand when he autotunes his voice to give that effect. But IMO that has nothing to do with the fact that his voice peaks the whole song. The entire thing sounds like its being driven straight into your ear...

Jul 29, 2011 at 7:32 PM Post #3,919 of 46,505

Quote:
The most surprising thing to me is the amount of distortion present. Through the HD650 I find listening to some 2011 chart songs unbearable. Even through crappy apple buds, I'm sure its still present. Take '6 foot 7 foot' by lil wayne as example. ( A bad song i know) His voice is peaking the whole way through.

Exactly, I was listening to some top popular songs as well, and it just sounded distorted and muddy in comparison. The best way to describe it as simply, it sounds like cheaper headphones. Like my old pairs. Obviously, without high quality recording, a headphone of infinite quality will sound terrible :)

I played some recordings of some 80's music, and the resolution and crispness of the sound was amazing.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #3,921 of 46,505

Quote:
Based on the description you just provided, I think you'll love them 
smily_headphones1.gif

Seconded. Given what you've said you want, the HD 650s are practically tailor-made for you.

Jul 29, 2011 at 8:31 PM Post #3,922 of 46,505

Quote:
Predictably I've picked up on this, but only because I've got these in my sights as my next purchase. Problem is though sphinxvc, he is using a Lyr which is supposed to be great with the LCD2's? how much tweaking should he need to do? He has different tubes. Interconnects aren't going to change the sound dramatically. If I pay 3 times the amount of the 650's I want to hear how the "LCD2's blow the 650's out of the water" Is it a case of learning to like their sound as in "mental burn in"?

Not having a go, I've read so many good things about the LCD2's thats why I'm considering them, but I'm not rich. My personal opinion still stands that yes they may be better technically but are they worth that kind of money over the 650's? There seems to be a lot of people exaggerating how good they actually are; they have the best and they want to talk about there superiority at every chance as if they are in some kind of elite club, when infact they have actually spent a fortune on a headphone that isn't much better than one that is a third of the price.     

That is tough decision especially if you haven't heard either headphone before. Of course, you're gonna then have to consider which amp to drive them with. Although their frequency balance is similar, they're sound signatures are entirely different. Rich, vibrant planar sound vs. Seductive, smooth, layered sound. I highly recommend you try audition both if you can at a meet to help your decision. LCD-2's do a lot of things well (pinpoint imaging, resolution, detail, gorgeous midrange, bass extension, etc.), I would almost call it a perfect headphone, but I do have a few gripes about them (soundstage, lack of air and space, analytical sounding at times). I do not believe they "blow the 650's of of the water" though, especially not a balanced 650. There are some things about them that they each do really well thus why I own both. Though...if I had to pick one, I'd probably go with LCD-2 if budget allowed just because it's easier to get along with. 

Quote:
Just, the LCD2's out of an iphone are apparently better than the 650's out of a good midfi set up..? this on another thread and by the usual suspects.

totally understand the deadhorse, its just some of the claims have always rang a little suspect with me.  

I find that to actually be somewhat true. I wouldn't say better, but similar. They both are equally hard to drive IMO, I think the 650 may have been a little fussier having tried them on multiple amps and haven't ever really been satisfied until now that I balanced them. 

Jul 29, 2011 at 10:02 PM Post #3,923 of 46,505

Quote:
Predictably I've picked up on this, but only because I've got these in my sights as my next purchase. Problem is though sphinxvc, he is using a Lyr which is supposed to be great with the LCD2's? how much tweaking should he need to do? He has different tubes. Interconnects aren't going to change the sound dramatically. If I pay 3 times the amount of the 650's I want to hear how the "LCD2's blow the 650's out of the water" Is it a case of learning to like their sound as in "mental burn in"?

Not having a go, I've read so many good things about the LCD2's thats why I'm considering them, but I'm not rich. My personal opinion still stands that yes they may be better technically but are they worth that kind of money over the 650's? There seems to be a lot of people exaggerating how good they actually are; they have the best and they want to talk about there superiority at every chance as if they are in some kind of elite club, when infact they have actually spent a fortune on a headphone that isn't much better than one that is a third of the price.     

Tube choice is vital for the Lyr. The Orange Globes have amazing synergy with the HD650 and are also very good for the LCD-2. There's no denying the Lyr presents very good bang for buck, but I'd be a raving fan boy if I didn't state my suspicion that better synergy with the LCD-2 may be found elsewhere. My intuition tells me solid state may be the go with the LCD-2, and this is what I grapple with; to go the next tier with a balanced rig. I wouldn't keep the Lyr if I went ahead with it, but the magic it has with the HD650 (which I certainly will not part with) would make that decision incredibly difficult.

There is no disputing the rev.2 is technically superior to the HD650. It really has to be heard, and not just under machine gun A/B comparison meet conditions. Time needs to be spent exploring its qualities with a wide range of recordings. With the right material, you'll be astounded at the tonality, resolution, speed, body and weight, and realism presented. It is so refined, but also still musically engaging.

I take back my previous post stating my preference for the HD650. I should have merely pointed out that when going back to the HD650 after a few weeks dedicated to the rev.2, the HD650 still made me smile. It was somewhat jarring to perceive the chasm in technical capabilities, but those things were quickly forgotten once the incredibly engaging HD650 presentation took hold.

I agree that some of the ruckus around the LCD-2 is a bit much at times. However, for the most part, the accolades are well deserved. Does that make the HD650 redundant? Is it fair to compare it to the LCD-2? No. If anything, it's strengthened my view that the HD650 is an amazing headphone in its own right.

Having said that, I'm by no means suggesting the LCD-2 isn't worth the price of admission. Would I have liked to have paid less? Sure. Can I go back? No.

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #3,924 of 46,505
Quote:
Tube choice is vital for the Lyr. The Orange Globes have amazing synergy with the HD650 and are also very good for the LCD-2. There's no denying the Lyr presents very good bang for buck, but I'd be a raving fan boy if I didn't state my suspicion that better synergy with the LCD-2 may be found elsewhere. My intuition tells me solid state may be the go with the LCD-2, and this is what I grapple with; to go the next tier with a balanced rig. I wouldn't keep the Lyr if I went ahead with it, but the magic it has with the HD650 (which I certainly will not part with) would make that decision incredibly difficult.

There is no disputing the rev.2 is technically superior to the HD650. It really has to be heard, and not just under machine gun A/B comparison meet conditions. Time needs to be spent exploring its qualities with a wide range of recordings. With the right material, you'll be astounded at the tonality, resolution, speed, body and weight, and realism presented. It is so refined, but also still musically engaging.

I take back my previous post stating my preference for the HD650. I should have merely pointed out that when going back to the HD650 after a few weeks dedicated to the rev.2, the HD650 still made me smile. It was somewhat jarring to perceive the chasm in technical capabilities, but those things were quickly forgotten once the incredibly engaging HD650 presentation took hold.

I agree that some of the ruckus around the LCD-2 is a bit much at times. However, for the most part, the accolades are well deserved. Does that make the HD650 redundant? Is it fair to compare it to the LCD-2? No. If anything, it's strengthened my view that the HD650 is an amazing headphone in its own right.

Having said that, I'm by no means suggesting the LCD-2 isn't worth the price of admission. Would I have liked to have paid less? Sure. Can I go back? No.

This.  Really well said.  

Jul 29, 2011 at 11:58 PM Post #3,925 of 46,505
Quote:
Thanks for that and appreciated. Just, the LCD2's out of an iphone are apparently better than the 650's out of a good midfi set up..? this on another thread and by the usual suspects.

totally understand the deadhorse, its just some of the claims have always rang a little suspect with me.  

As SemiAudiophile said, they're just that flexible, just as impressive, and easy to get along with.  It's not a knock on the HD650s. 

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:17 AM Post #3,926 of 46,505
Just managed to pick up a perfectly mint pair of HD650's, white drivers and all. Now they just need to get here, so I can return the loaners I'm listening to now :)

Any of you guys using Mogami 2893 with your HD650? I've got 10 feet of it with a nice Neutrik plug, just waiting to be soldered onto some Cardas senn connectors...

Jul 30, 2011 at 3:20 AM Post #3,927 of 46,505

Quote:
...but those things were quickly forgotten once the incredibly engaging HD650 presentation took hold.

This is excactly the reason I chose the HD650 over (Among others) the HE-4. I could'nt stop bopping my head and tapping my feet when listening to the 650's 
cool.gif

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:09 AM Post #3,928 of 46,505

Quote:

That is tough decision especially if you haven't heard either headphone before. Of course, you're gonna then have to consider which amp to drive them with. Although their frequency balance is similar, they're sound signatures are entirely different. Rich, vibrant planar sound vs. Seductive, smooth, layered sound. I highly recommend you try audition both if you can at a meet to help your decision. LCD-2's do a lot of things well (pinpoint imaging, resolution, detail, gorgeous midrange, bass extension, etc.), I would almost call it a perfect headphone, but I do have a few gripes about them (soundstage, lack of air and space, analytical sounding at times). I do not believe they "blow the 650's of of the water" though, especially not a balanced 650. There are some things about them that they each do really well thus why I own both. Though...if I had to pick one, I'd probably go with LCD-2 if budget allowed just because it's easier to get along with. 

I find that to actually be somewhat true. I wouldn't say better, but similar. They both are equally hard to drive IMO, I think the 650 may have been a little fussier having tried them on multiple amps and haven't ever really been satisfied until now that I balanced them. 

Sorry should explained myself better, I own the 650's and am looking at the LCD2's as next purchase. Some very helpful points though thanks

Jul 30, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #3,929 of 46,505

Quote:

Well said and I'm building a better picture all the time of the LCD2's, problem with me as that I'm no where near any meets so I'm gonna have to just make a blind purchase if I do get them and thats why I'm pushing the "are they that much better". I'm not going to be in such a hurry though, I'm still really enjoying my 650's after all these years. Especially with my C3M otl amp, its night and day compared to my old X can v3 which I thought was amazing. Thats the thing with the 650's they just keep scaling! No limits!  Wonder how orthos sound with a powerful OTL amp? The sound with the 650's is very big and detailed with this amp, actually sounds like a good ss but without any hardness.

Cheers guys    

Jul 30, 2011 at 5:23 AM Post #3,930 of 46,505

interesting

Users who are viewing this thread

• Back