Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2011 at 10:49 PM Post #3,826 of 46,564

Quote:

I finally got around balancing my HD650's. My recent observation tell me that going balanced was a lot more worthwhile than just the cable upgrade itself. The difference between balanced and single-ended is substantial. While other headphones may only benefit slightly when balanced, the HD650 is the only headphone that must be heard balanced IMO, I wouldn't have it any other way. Think of the basic HD650 sound signature with a much more expansive soundstage and air, also add in a bit faster attack. Veiled and dark no more! The LCD-2 may rule in weight of the notes and timbre and absolute resolution, but a balanced HD650 wins with air and expansiveness with seductive 3D layering. 

I also have a 4-pin XLR to TRS adapter, for when I want to listen to single-ended. But from I recall, the cable itself was a subtle improvement. Nice, but subtle. 

^ It would be interesting to hear your impressions if SE, balanced were volume-matched.  

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:38 PM Post #3,827 of 46,564
You know what I like most about the HD650? It has the musical ability to get you into the core of the music; the raw emotional connection. It's the most musical headphone I've ever own or heard period. To me, that's more important than how much detail you can extract or other technical attributes. I have other headphones for that. And now that I've got them back, they're pretty much hogging all the head time.  I'm just glad that I re-bought these and it's sad that they are now discontinued. They will always my one of my favorite, classic headphones. You never really know how much you miss them until you lose them. This coming from someone who owned mostly Grado headphones. Happy listening all. 
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:41 PM Post #3,828 of 46,564

Quote:
Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I finally got around balancing my HD650's. My recent observation tell me that going balanced was a lot more worthwhile than just the cable upgrade itself. The difference between balanced and single-ended is substantial. While other headphones may only benefit slightly when balanced, the HD650 is the only headphone that must be heard balanced IMO, I wouldn't have it any other way. Think of the basic HD650 sound signature with a much more expansive soundstage and air, also add in a bit faster attack. Veiled and dark no more! The LCD-2 may rule in weight of the notes and timbre and absolute resolution, but a balanced HD650 wins with air and expansiveness with seductive 3D layering. 

I also have a 4-pin XLR to TRS adapter, for when I want to listen to single-ended. But from I recall, the cable itself was a subtle improvement. Nice, but subtle. 

So... that's with the AG NFB-10ES? 

Is that using the internal DAC with a balanced signal?

Does a non-balanced signal through the balanced amp have the same, or similar, imrprovement in the sound of the HD650's?

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:49 PM Post #3,829 of 46,564

Quote:
So... that's with the AG NFB-10ES? 

Is that using the internal DAC with a balanced signal?

Does a non-balanced signal through the balanced amp have the same, or similar, imrprovement in the sound of the HD650's?

Yes.

Yes, using the internal DAC...digital signal BNC.

Can't say, NFB-10 doesn't support any analog input, so can't use it as a stand-alone amp I'm afraid. It's a excellent all-in-one but that is one of its downfalls. AGD might have other future product designs though.. 
rolleyes.gif

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #3,830 of 46,564

Quote:
You know what I like most about the HD650? It has the musical ability to get you into the core of the music; the raw emotional connection. It's the most musical headphone I've ever own or heard period. To me, that's more important than how much detail you can extract or other technical attributes. I have other headphones for that. And now that I've got them back, they're pretty much hogging all the head time.  I'm just glad that I re-bought these and it's sad that they are now discontinued. They will always my one of my favorite, classic headphones. You never really know how much you miss them until you lose them. This coming from someone who owned mostly Grado headphones. Happy listening all. 
smily_headphones1.gif

I've been really impressed the last 2 days.  They capture something I would hear in music before I got so caught up in audio a few years ago.  They're so blissful!

Jul 26, 2011 at 4:03 AM Post #3,831 of 46,564

Quote:

I would encourage you to try some of the other silver cables (e.g. the RAL, or the Headphile, etc.), they don't seem to "harden" the sound as you suggest.  Though, the silver plated copper of the Zu cable did "harden" the sound of my Senns. 

Yeah I'm definately going to try other silver cables, I notice a big difference using solid silver interconnects with the 650's. I think it may be SPC that spoils the character of the 650's for me. The bass seems to be looser and a little detached from the rest of the sound and the treble is empathised a little too much but only at the very top. The soundstage shrinks slightly. I've a/b tested them about ten times now..  

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:20 AM Post #3,832 of 46,564

Quote:

I think balanced solid state is where I'll head with my rig. That cable looks cool. What is it?

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:15 PM Post #3,833 of 46,564
You like the 650s better than the 800s? Wow. I haven't heard either yet but that seems unusual. Wow the 650s must be amazing!

Quote:
All my headphones are in my signature, but my HD650s are my favorite. I got into headphones via the HD580s, so I may be biased toward the smooth, laid-back Sennheiser sound.
600smile.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #3,834 of 46,564

that's not something uncommon to find either

Personally I find HD600 > HD650 >>> HD800

I've heard a modified HD800 which was decent but I still prefer the 600/650.
Quote:
You like the 650s better than the 800s? Wow. I haven't heard either yet but that seems unusual. Wow the 650s must be amazing!

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #3,835 of 46,564
     Quote:

The HD 650 is a wonderful headphone and I currently have one for sale (under offer); you can see my signature if you're interested and I can post it to you by mail.

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM Post #3,836 of 46,564

Quote:
I think balanced solid state is where I'll head with my rig. That cable looks cool. What is it?

Balanced solid state is real nice, especially if you like clear, fast, and detailed sound. Mines with the new cable sound a bit fast, but still has that smooth, laid-back senn sound. I sometimes prefer tube too, it's a nice change in flavor.

The cable I made myself using nylon sleeving. I originally had some black techflex but miscalculated on the measurement so went with nylon instead. The nylon is a little heavy, so I'm probably gonna redo it. I just ordered some purple techflex, I think purple matches the color of the HD650 nicely.
normal_smile%20.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:58 PM Post #3,838 of 46,564
Yeah 650's aren't discontinued, although 600's will be soon from what I've heard.

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #3,839 of 46,564
I just got my HD 650's from J&R. Got it for about $364 with two-day shipping to Hawaii. I was pleasantly surprised. My amp hasn't arrived yet so I'm using my ghetto Creative Sound Blaster HD sound card, but it still sounds nice. I can't wait to see what an overpriced amp will do.

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:13 AM Post #3,840 of 46,564
Hi guys--relatively new here. Just got my 650s today, and I'm listening to them right now. Up until a few minutes ago, I wasn't terribly impressed... but then On Melancholy Hill by The Gorillaz kicked in, and I don't think anything I've listened to on headphones until this point has prompted the sort of ecstatic grin I've got on my face right now. I'm a believer. These cans are *fun.* Really looking forward to burning them in, trying them out with more of my collection, and pitting them against my other phones. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back