Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Jul 25, 2011 at 5:08 PM Post #3,811 of 46,554

Quote:
I have a question for you.  How much difference is there between the new 650s and the old 650s?   Is it subtle?

What's your take on using the 595 drivers for both headphones?  

To me... there is a "HUGE DIFFERENCE" between the "old version" and "new version" HD650's - the new version is much brighter, clearer, and detailed.  If you like the sound of Grados and ATH's (which I think are the benchmark references), then you'll like the "new version" HD650's much better - assuming they're well matched to a source and amp (which makes all the difference).  That is by far... much more important than the cables. 

I've never heard the HD595's, so I don't know how they compare.  But... from what others have told me... I'd likely prefer the HD595 drivers to the "old version" HD650 drivers.  My guess is... that the HD595 drivers sound very similar to the "new version" HD650 drivers. 

If I had the "old version" HD650's and didn't want to go to the trouble of swapping phones... I'd likely buy the "new version" drivers and swap them out... or possibly... even the HD595 drivers. 

But... all of that assumes... you prefer the Grado / ATH sound to the slow, dark sound of the "old version" HD650's.  Some may prefer the sound of the "old version" - as it was a bit smoother, warmer.

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:13 PM Post #3,812 of 46,554

Quote:
To me... there is a "HUGE DIFFERENCE" between the "old version" and "new version" HD650's - the new version is much brighter, clearer, and detailed.  If you like the sound of Grados and ATH's (which I think are the benchmark references), then you'll like the "new version" HD650's much better - assuming they're well matched to a source and amp (which makes all the difference).  That is by far... much more important than the cables. 

I've never heard the HD595's, so I don't know how they compare.  But... from what others have told me... I'd likely prefer the HD595 drivers to the "old version" HD650 drivers.  My guess is... that the HD595 drivers sound very similar to the "new version" HD650 drivers. 

If I had the "old version" HD650's and didn't want to go to the trouble of swapping phones... I'd likely buy the "new version" drivers and swap them out... or possibly... even the HD595 drivers. 

But... all of that assumes... you prefer the Grado / ATH sound to the slow, dark sound of the "old version" HD650's.  Some may prefer the sound of the "old version" - as it was a bit smoother, warmer.

whats the new version?  Mine are from 08 I believe

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:17 PM Post #3,813 of 46,554
lookat your headphone from the outside towards the driver. (not worn). theres a screen around the driver, if its silver, its the newre one. if its dark, its the older one.  im not positive but i think the new drivers are from either 2008 or 2009.

Jul 25, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #3,814 of 46,554
taste vs hearing. quite different for memory recall isnt it? i dono. maybe im takign out of my butt but to me, taste and smell recall is stronger than hearing. unless u have two exactly same setups going, one with an aftermarket cable and one without, and youre able to swtich very quickly... i think these tests are hard to come to a conclusion with... for either camp.

its not like A taste better than B. done.  music has so many intricacies to it.  

either way, some ppl will always say no difference, some ppl will always say there is.  its a relaly boring argument.  

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:15 PM Post #3,816 of 46,554

Quote:
Quote:

Yes... count me as one of the "huge skeptics" of the benefits of some of the "very expensive" copper cables (or silver cables for that matter).  I would never "place my bets" on such expensive cables, unless I could return them within 30 days, if I didn't think the benefits justified their price - which they almost certainly can't.  It's very difficult to beat the Cardas cable for the HD600's and the Headphile, or RAL silver cables for the HD650's (and they won't bankrupt you). 

I keep running into similar comments on the Cardas, and have also become interested in Headphile. Too bad the latter don't come in the lengths I need, and after reading his FAQ would almost be afraid to ask. 

I would welcome an improvement in clarity, openness, and resolution etc, but even a small increase in warmth would be a no go. I'm right at the edge of tonal correctness for my own preferences.

Jul 25, 2011 at 6:46 PM Post #3,817 of 46,554
I have both, and to my ears there is big difference; the 595s are much softer sounding and more forgiving of poor recordings, but on well recorded music the 650s are better all round.

My 650s were bought new in 2011, and are the "new version" from everything I've read.

Quote:
My guess is... that the HD595 drivers sound very similar to the "new version" HD650 drivers. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:31 PM Post #3,818 of 46,554

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigmode /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I keep running into similar comments on the Cardas, and have also become interested in Headphile. Too bad the latter don't come in the lengths I need, and after reading his FAQ would almost be afraid to ask. 

I would welcome an improvement in clarity, openness, and resolution etc, but even a small increase in warmth would be a no go. I'm right at the edge of tonal correctness for my own preferences.

Well... I'd try a silver cable then.  The Headphile Black Silver (if I recall correctly) is a pretty good value... though, the RAL Cryo-silver is a bit better.  Neither are ridiculously priced as several others widely promoted here.  I simply wouldn't get those others, unless you can return them within 30 days - actually, personally, I wouldn't get them anyway - as, I said I'm too much of a skeptic to even try those. 

And... oh yes... you might want to try some silver interconnects, which should help also. 

But... only after... I had found a well matched source and amp to match the HD650's well... and... had "deveiled" them.  Those factors have a far greater impact than changing cables (expecially for the "new version").  The stock cable of the "new version" is pretty good with them. 

By the way... the Millett Hybrid MiniMax does a great job with the HD650's, as does a number of others. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:35 PM Post #3,819 of 46,554

Quote:
I have both, and to my ears there is big difference; the 595s are much softer sounding and more forgiving of poor recordings, but on well recorded music the 650s are better all round.

My 650s were bought new in 2011, and are the "new version" from everything I've read.

Yes... those are the "new version." 

Re:  the HD595's, I guess that sounds like they really don't sound much like the HD650's.  As I said... I was told they sounded a lot more "Gradoish" than the "old version" Senns - perhaps, they don't.

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:41 PM Post #3,820 of 46,554

Quote:
Quote:

Yes... those are the "new version." 

Re:  the HD595's, I guess that sounds like they really don't sound much like the HD650's.  As I said... I was told they sounded a lot more "Gradoish" than the "old version" Senns - perhaps, they don't.

well i think anything will sound more gradoish over the old ones from what i heard.  the veil was pretty bad.  i never tried them.  i had the new ones and to my ears, its darker than most headphones like the lcd2, hd800, t1 hd598 (from memory).  no its not gonna be like a grado if thats what youre looking for.  lush is a word id use.  which can be bad and  good depending on your music choice and setup.  im hoping the zana deux opens it up a little. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:52 PM Post #3,821 of 46,554

Just for information I did own the old and new version of ther HD650 and was able to compare them with my setup and neither ever sounded veil. I kept the new version because they do have better treble clarity. I beleive that the "Veil" that people refer to was mostly due to unproper amping.

Quote:
well i think anything will sound more gradoish over the old ones from what i heard.  the veil was pretty bad.  i never tried them.  i had the new ones and to my ears, its darker than most headphones like the lcd2, hd800, t1 hd598 (from memory).  no its not gonna be like a grado if thats what youre looking for.  lush is a word id use.  which can be bad and  good depending on your music choice and setup.  im hoping the zana deux opens it up a little. 

Jul 25, 2011 at 9:53 PM Post #3,822 of 46,554

Quote:
Just for information I did own the old and new version of ther HD650 and was able to compare them with my setup and neither ever sounded veil. I kept the new version because they do have better treble clarity. I beleive that the "Veil" that people refer to was mostly due to unproper amping.

what headphone did you ahve before that? also what was your amp at tha ttime? 

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:07 PM Post #3,823 of 46,554

I have had all the major mid-fi headphone before (K701 - DT990 - DT880 - SR225) and trade for the older version of the HD650 first. My amplifier was (and still is) a Mappletree MAD Ear+ HD Purist (Tube amp) and my DAC was /is the Nuforce HDP. I was enjoying the old version but got curious after reading how much better the new version were. I bought the new version for comparaison and came to the conclusion that the new silver driver had better high clarity and sold the old version.

Quote:
what headphone did you ahve before that? also what was your amp at tha ttime? 

Jul 25, 2011 at 10:12 PM Post #3,825 of 46,554

I finally got around balancing my HD650's. My recent observation tell me that going balanced was a lot more worthwhile than just the cable upgrade itself. The difference between balanced and single-ended is substantial. While other headphones may only benefit slightly when balanced, the HD650 is the only headphone that must be heard balanced IMO, I wouldn't have it any other way. Think of the basic HD650 sound signature with a much more expansive soundstage and air, also add in a bit faster attack. Veiled and dark no more! The LCD-2 may rule in weight of the notes and timbre and absolute resolution, but a balanced HD650 wins with air and expansiveness with seductive 3D layering. 

I also have a 4-pin XLR to TRS adapter, for when I want to listen to single-ended. But from I recall, the cable itself was a subtle improvement. Nice, but subtle. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back