Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 12, 2014 at 7:19 PM Post #15,946 of 46,554

Thanks! It sounds even better!
beerchug.gif

How is your Crack for the HD700?   **Sorry folks if my question isn't about the HD650**

Feb 12, 2014 at 7:34 PM Post #15,947 of 46,554
^ I'll PM you to keep the thread on topic. But the short answer is the Crack pairs very well, but not as well as HD 650/Crack. I still prefer the HD 700 on my Darkvoice 3322.

Feb 12, 2014 at 9:24 PM Post #15,948 of 46,554

Could you explain more? Thanks!

The mainline does everything the Crack does and does it better. Tighter bass, maybe a bit deeper bass, but given the music I listened to not too sure about that part. The main thing was the incredibly natural attack and decay of instruments and a total lack of anything even remotely resembling noise or distortion. I really liked the Crack, now I know what all the excitement is about, but the mainline is on the next level for sure. Not to mention that the mainline can be used on a wide variety of phones, where the Crack is designed for high impedance only. I will say that the Crack is a lot of bang for the buck, as the Mainline is more than twice as much money. But if money is no huge deal then the choice is pretty obvious to me. I will be getting the Crack myself. I need to see what the wait time is, I know they were way back ordered just before Christmas.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:02 PM Post #15,950 of 46,554
My pair was apparently supposed to be delivered today, but I'm in Chicago at the moment and nobody was at the house to sign for me when the FedEx truck came. A shame...

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:10 PM Post #15,951 of 46,554
I feel that I am now officially drinking the Kool Aid.  
I have an ALO Audio MKlllB+ (after my MKll died ALO offered me a discount off their new HP portable amp).
I'm using the HD650 as my office HP. 
The balanced mini out on the MKlll B+ was just too tempting not to try, since I can replace the cable myself on the HD650, for simplicity I bought the Green Line balanced cable from ALO and am blown away at the difference.  
The audio clarity is kicked up a notch and the tone is smoother and silkier 
Sound stage is wider, and as much as I love the HD650, the balanced cable seems to take the audio to a new level.
You can spend a lot more and a bit less on cable upgrades, but until now I remained completely unconvinced that changing out the HP cable would make any difference at all.
Even unbalanced the MKlllB+ is a nice match with the HD650.

Feb 13, 2014 at 9:10 AM Post #15,952 of 46,554
  Does anyone have or been able to listen to the HD650's through a ALO Pan-AM amp/dac. Just wondered how that amp pairs up with these cans?

I tell people this maybe the ultimate pairing for HD650, including the Crack. They don't believe me.

Feb 13, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #15,956 of 46,554
I'm blown away, my hd650 is not much worser then the LCD-3 I just bought... :D Damn

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:11 PM Post #15,959 of 46,554

IMO, the Lyr pairs better with the HD650 than the Pan Am, but the Crack is a different story. 

Has anyone compare the Crack to the S.E.X. or Smack with the HD650?
Curious if the magic is limited to the OTL design.

I use transformer coupled SEP with my 600s and enjoy it as much as any pairing including the Crack.

Feb 13, 2014 at 2:29 PM Post #15,960 of 46,554
  Has anyone compare the Crack to the S.E.X. or Smack with the HD650?
Curious if the magic is limited to the OTL design.

I use transformer coupled SEP with my 600s and enjoy it as much as any pairing including the Crack.

Loquah's "Bottlehead Amplifier Discussion / Comparison Thread: Crack, SEX & Mainline" bb might be of interest some nice write up on the amps and comparisons between them in the first few posts.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/683012/bottlehead-amplifier-discussion-comparison-thread-crack-sex-mainline

Users who are viewing this thread

Back