Sennheiser HD650 & Massdrop HD6XX Impressions Thread
Feb 10, 2014 at 8:56 PM Post #15,916 of 46,554
http://www.head-fi.org/t/702528/fs-5-ft-purple-acid-custom-silver-cable-for-hd-650-600-with-cardas-plugs

saw this purple dragon waiting for a new home. 

Feb 11, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #15,918 of 46,554
  +1 Thanks for clarifying the above and also putting things in context!

Itchy fingers have already braided the cable.. Something tells me I'll have a new handmade thing by next week.

No problem

Here’s another diagram from Brysyon’s BHA-1 manual, although it may be a bit confusing if your using it as visual reference while soldering the wires, just make sure you follow the number scheme.

The HiFIman one makes it a much clearer as the right #3 and left #1 are in real life reversed on the amp's female xlr as shown below.

Feb 11, 2014 at 4:29 PM Post #15,919 of 46,554
Interesting read about the compensation curves of cinema the X-curve:

http://lenardaudio.com/education/17_cinema_7.html

This is the exact same curve I would use on my Denon D7000s.  I found the discussion about pink noise quite interesting.  It's all starting to comply with my experiences in audio reproduction.  There are a fair few curves going around - all slope down the top end.

Only once, ever, did I ever go into a hi-fi showroom - I think it was a KEF dealer, and the music playing was beyond reality - into music itself.  I remeber walking in and being just astounded by the sound...more importantly by the ambience in the room...the only way I could describe it in my mind was that the ambience was "pink and purple"...I don't know how or why...but mental imagery has always been a fundamental process in translating what I hear in sounds in to words.  The fact that "pink" noise is used to calibrate cinemas suggest that I'm not the only one to 'sense' this phenomena.

I am learning all this from 'DanDan' Fitzgerald - who claims:  'For what it's worth I am the best mixing engineer on the planet'

I am starting to believe this guy.

That is why I had always kept my HD650 and K701 ... all professional recordings fell in to one camp or the other (compensated/uncompensated).  Except the K701 had no bass and a resonant upper midrange...I guess in dandan's case it would have been HD650/HD600.

But it still comes down to one thing...throttle position.  How do you want it?

Feb 11, 2014 at 5:12 PM Post #15,920 of 46,554
Feb 11, 2014 at 7:13 PM Post #15,921 of 46,554
Another interesting article from the same website:

http://lenardaudio.com/education/14_valve_amps_7.html

And I quote:

Music. Pre 1970s many if not most large manufacturing companies maintained a strong class demarcation of management against trades and production workers. This demarcation was also reflected in music. Management including the academic class, was identified with Classical and Popular conservative music similar to Frank Sinatra or Julie Andrews “The sound of music” etc Middle class music was mostly mid range with minimal bass energy. The working class identified with music of the devil, Sex drugs Rock’n’ Roll, Jazz, Blues, Fusion, music with intense bass energy.
The rock recording industry noticed that the new Solid-state amps caused most speakers to sound flat and lifeless. Without any standards in place, recordings had extensive EQ applied to boost the bass and hi-frequencies to compensate. Many guitar and bass amp designers also noticed that the new solid state amplifiers (with 100% Damping factor) had a suppressive effect on the musicality of a speakers performance and stayed with Valve technology. But academic engineers of HiFi amps were blindly obsessed with the almost perfect zero distortion figurers and 100% damping factor solid state amps could achieve. The concept of allowing variable current drive to enable solid-state amps to emulate the higher output Impedance of a valve amp to manage speaker Damping, was negated.

Can't these elite humans leave us poor people alone with our broken backs, devil music, bass and tubes!!! 
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2014 at 4:15 AM Post #15,924 of 46,554

Problem is though, I can't decide whether or not I should upgrade my SRG2s to the Ultra-Linear. I LOVE the Sennheiser veil and the dark texture of the 650 so I'm just worried that the ultra-linear with a bit more treble energy might mess up the reason I love my 650s :frowning2:

Feb 12, 2014 at 5:36 AM Post #15,926 of 46,554
I haven't listened to my HD600's for quite a while, been listening to the HD650 and HD700's. I put them on again last night and I hate to say this but I really don't like them much any more. The mids and treble are okay but the bass...where did it go? Anyway I don't need this many phones so I think when I have my clearance sale the 600's will be going. I even like my HD580's more which I didn't think I'd ever say.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:09 AM Post #15,927 of 46,554

blink.gif
The HD650s are boring to me
blink.gif

Well, unless you're being sarcastic... posting this here in this thread is simply trolling. You wanna get flamed go and be a firefighter... please don't bring it here. Thanks.

Feb 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM Post #15,928 of 46,554
It's a snow day for me here, so I'm just relaxing at home burning in my NOS RCA 6F8G on the BH Crack....nope, definitely isn't sounding boring to me!
biggrin.gif

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:19 AM Post #15,929 of 46,554
  I haven't listened to my HD600's for quite a while, been listening to the HD650 and HD700's. I put them on again last night and I hate to say this but I really don't like them much any more. The mids and treble are okay but the bass...where did it go? Anyway I don't need this many phones so I think when I have my clearance sale the 600's will be going. I even like my HD580's more which I didn't think I'd ever say.

Yeah, I came to the same conclusion while testing both out.  I think if you're looking for a more reference sound without the 'cold' and 'analytical' nature of reference headphones, then the HD600 is the answer to that.  They're generally more revealing, IMO.

It's a snow day for me here, so I'm just relaxing at home burning in my NOS RCA 6F8G on the BH Crack....nope, definitely isn't sounding boring to me!
biggrin.gif

Same here.  It is coming down like there's no tomorrow out here.

Feb 12, 2014 at 11:24 AM Post #15,930 of 46,554
biggrin.gif

Just cuddle up to the warm glow of the tubes...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back