Samsung Galaxy Note 3 (24-bit/192KHz)
Mar 24, 2014 at 9:49 PM Post #541 of 726
There are male to male ones available a number of places (although it isn't necessarily easy to track them down). Which kind of termination do you need at the DAC end?

Mar 24, 2014 at 9:56 PM Post #542 of 726
There are male to male ones available a number of places (although it isn't necessarily easy to track them down). Which kind of termination do you need at the DAC end?

Good point. I need male at both ends but only the Note 3 is USB 3. Basically it needs to be tiny and very flexible.

Actually, what I really want is for a phone manufacturer to wake up and build a phone with a built-in hi-fi mode that will enable hardware within the phone to do the job properly instead of the user having to scour the internet for all sorts of accessories to do what should be a relatively simple job. Give me a Note 4 that's twice as thick, I don't care. Just give us the damn hardware to do the job properly. It only has to be a good quality DAC after all. There's a thousand high quality 3.5mm to 3.5mm cables out there.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:04 PM Post #543 of 726
Good point. I need male at both ends but only the Note 3 is USB 3. Basically it needs to be tiny and very flexible.

Actually, what I really want is for a phone manufacturer to wake up and build a phone with a built-in hi-fi mode that will enable hardware within the phone to do the job properly instead of the user having to scour the internet for all sorts of accessories to do what should be a relatively simple job. Give me a Note 4 that's twice as thick, I don't care. Just give us the damn hardware to do the job properly. It only has to be a good quality DAC after all. There's a thousand high quality 3.5mm to 3.5mm cables out there.

The OTG termination, that goes into the Note, can be micro USB or USB 3.0, it doesn't actually matter. I meant what kind of male termination does the other one have to be? Micro or mini USB, or something else?

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:09 PM Post #544 of 726
The OTG termination, that goes into the Note, can be micro USB or USB 3.0, it doesn't actually matter. I meant what kind of male termination does the other one have to be? Micro or mini USB, or something else?

Sorry, I misunderstood. I need micro USB male at the DAC end and the same at the phone although, as pointed out earlier USB 3.0 at the phone end would make a more secure fit.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:13 PM Post #545 of 726
What kind of micro USB to micro USB connector is that? Would love to get one. Thx

I know this is so last year, literally, but I would also like to get one. What kind of money are we talking for something like this cable?

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:25 PM Post #546 of 726
I know this is so last year, literally, but I would also like to get one. What kind of money are we talking for something like this cable?

TTVJ have a micro to micro one for $19, Mimic cables will do a nicer looking one for similar money (but more for shipping), Forza cables will do an amazing looking one and claim all sorts of amazing audiophile benefits to how their copper transfers the same 1's and 0's and charge a fortune for it (like 75 euros). They can be purchased via a Taobao intermediary via Ebay too, but I would need to hunt the links I have for that.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:52 PM Post #547 of 726
TTVJ have a micro to micro one for $19, Mimic cables will do a nicer looking one for similar money (but more for shipping), Forza cables will do an amazing looking one and claim all sorts of amazing audiophile benefits to how their copper transfers the same 1's and 0's and charge a fortune for it (like 75 euros). They can be purchased via a Taobao intermediary via Ebay too, but I would need to hunt the links I have for that.

Thanks for the tips, I'll check all of those out.

There's always this ALO Copper 22...

http://www.aloaudio.com/copper-22-balanced

That can't possibly be worth that kind of money on sonic grounds alone. It does look nice though. Well over my budget though. I could just about justify it if there was an appreciable increase in sound quality but there won't be.

Mar 24, 2014 at 10:59 PM Post #548 of 726
This one from your suggestion, TTVJ, looks good. Not too expensive either.

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJ_Micro_USB_to_Micro_USB_Portable_Cable_p/aat0000200.htm

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:18 PM Post #550 of 726
whatever you are looking for you can find it on the internet :)
Finding it in the USA is one thing. Getting it here is quite another. That $20 cable will turn in to a $70 cable in a heartbeat.

It is interesting though that there's not a gazillion of these on eBay, don't you think? Do the high-end manufacturers have some kind of embargo on them or something?

Mar 24, 2014 at 11:43 PM Post #551 of 726
This one from your suggestion, TTVJ, looks good. Not too expensive either.

http://www.ttvjaudio.com/TTVJ_Micro_USB_to_Micro_USB_Portable_Cable_p/aat0000200.htm

Yep, I have that one, perfectly good. I also have one of the Mimic cables ones (I sourced the right angled micro USB connectors for them so they could make it, ha!) too. It's prettier and a bit more flexible, but sounds no different to me. The Alo one (and also the cheaper Forza one) do not seem like even remotely rational spending to me.

Mar 25, 2014 at 6:51 AM Post #552 of 726
Yep, I have that one, perfectly good. I also have one of the Mimic cables ones (I sourced the right angled micro USB connectors for them so they could make it, ha!) too. It's prettier and a bit more flexible, but sounds no different to me. The Alo one (and also the cheaper Forza one) do not seem like even remotely rational spending to me.

I think I'm going to go with the Toxic Cables one that Tukorocks is using. It's not ridiculous expensive and it's from here in the UK so no import duty to worry about. It's also sexy as get out. I just need to wait a bit to raise the money since I've already spent a fortune this month - AKG Q701, Head'n'fi O2 and ODAC.

My wife thinks I'm insane :grinning:

Mar 25, 2014 at 4:48 PM Post #553 of 726
It's odd that I can't find male to male when I think about it. I mean, why not? Is it somehow more difficult to produce?

They just aren't widely produced. I'll test out the JDSLabs micro to mini OTG cable soon and tell you how I like it.

Mar 28, 2014 at 11:32 PM Post #554 of 726
weird, earlier I wrote a post saying that my note 2 dac was better than the note 3 dac, but now I like the latter better. the 2's dac is way too bright. lol.

i guess the lesson is that you should always have variety

Mar 29, 2014 at 7:58 AM Post #555 of 726
I think I'm going to go with the Toxic Cables one that Tukorocks is using. It's not ridiculous expensive and it's from here in the UK so no import duty to worry about. It's also sexy as get out. I just need to wait a bit to raise the money since I've already spent a fortune this month - AKG Q701, Head'n'fi O2 and ODAC.

My wife thinks I'm insane :grinning:

Welcome to the addiction club!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back