Rockbox for iBasso DX50 dual boot with stock firmware
Jul 24, 2014 at 10:23 PM Post #1,021 of 2,020
Will themes for the Sansa FuzeV2 work? 

Edit: Answering my own question, after some investigation - no, not really. They'll load and work, they just don't fill the screen all the way - only 2/3rds or so. 

So it's just the Cowan themes that work? Or are there some other models that'll work also?

Jul 24, 2014 at 10:41 PM Post #1,022 of 2,020
  Theme Installation How-To
  1. Download any Theme you like from the official Rockbox page as a packed zip:
    http://themes.rockbox.org/index.php?target=cowond2
  2. connect your player to the computer and open the internal memory (usual name: DX50). There should be a folder "rockbox", open it
  3. open the downloaded theme zip file. In the zip file there is a folder named ".rockbox" (yes, with a dot)
  4. Open the ".rockbox" folder in your theme-zip and extract all the content to your "rockbox" folder on your player
  5. you're done, now you can select your new theme in Settings -> Theme Settings -> Browse Theme Files

The problem I'm seeing with this method is that once you've done this with a downloaded theme, the original "built in" themes provided by default don't show up anymore. I seem to recall that earlier in this thread somewhere there was a workaround that fixed this - ?

Edit: In the meantime, I threw together a collection of about a dozen themes that all work on the DX50. Maybe someone can get some use out of these besides me. Just unzip it, and throw all 5 subfolders (backdrops, fonts, icons, themes, and wps) into the rockbox folder on your DX50. Some of them seem to need rebooting after selecting them in the theme browser to get them working correctly. But they all work. These are just ones that caught my eye - you'll see that I like album art. 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfiivu8qei8zhxx/SDiBassoDX50themecollection.zip - if you don't like them just delete the 5 folders, and you'll be back to the original set of themes. 

Jul 25, 2014 at 1:52 AM Post #1,023 of 2,020
New Build with only one change:

*Headphone output is connected when you play first song, not at startup -> click is much softer the longer you wait

List of all old modifications to xzcc's build 2014-06-30:
  1. longpress of play button in menu works correctly
  2. power-button when screen is off doesn't do back-action, only backlight-on (does not work if you just pressed something else before)
  3. new dual-boot mechanism (Hold-Switch enables boot-selector, otherwise last player is booted)
  4. Headphone output click -> connected on playback not at startup 

Download: 
https://www.sendspace.com/file/7l70z6

please tell me if you have any problems

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:06 AM Post #1,025 of 2,020
Thanks Cholero, I was already a big fan of rockbox but your latest version makes it even better, on par with the version I've been using for the past few years on a cowon D2 before switching to DX50. Only for me there is no change in the volume of the click at startup, it is at least as loud, maybe even louder (not sure, no way to compare directly). Could this be because I use a different CWM version from you? (I do believe I have the latest version installed). The backlight only option of the home button is really great! 

Only one question, is there a quick way to get to the now playing screen from within database/folder browsing? Now I go backwards from where i'm browsing till I reach the menu and then I select "now playing" its a bit cumbersome, would be great if there's something that could be done about it, maybe there is a way and I just didn't see it yet?

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:13 AM Post #1,026 of 2,020
Is there any dx50 user who also has (had) a rockboxed 5th gen ipod video and could possibly tell me if it is worth, sq-wise, to switch to the dx-50?
I'd be using it with some Grado sr225e.

Many many thanks!

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:38 AM Post #1,027 of 2,020
  Is there any dx50 user who also has (had) a rockboxed 5th gen ipod video and could possibly tell me if it is worth, sq-wise, to switch to the dx-50?
I'd be using it with some Grado sr225e.

Many many thanks!

I own rockboxed 5th gen iPod video. Yes it's worth the upgrade, you'll notice more detail, resolution though I think the iPod has DX50 beaten in soundstage width (assuming you're using DX50 from headphone out) It will still sound better than the iPods headphone out. Where the real sound gain with DX50 will be strapping an amp on the bottom. To my ears DX50 headphone out is rather poor in instrument separation, soundstage width and a possible lack of air. Though where it shines is in resolution and detail providing you're using either the most recent firmware or one of the custom firmware. If however you amp it then it's much better than Ipod Video (amped or from headphone out)

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:43 AM Post #1,029 of 2,020
  Thanks Cholero, I was already a big fan of rockbox but your latest version makes it even better, on par with the version I've been using for the past few years on a cowon D2 before switching to DX50. Only for me there is no change in the volume of the click at startup, it is at least as loud, maybe even louder (not sure, no way to compare directly). Could this be because I use a different CWM version from you? (I do believe I have the latest version installed). The backlight only option of the home button is really great! 

Only one question, is there a quick way to get to the now playing screen from within database/folder browsing? Now I go backwards from where i'm browsing till I reach the menu and then I select "now playing" its a bit cumbersome, would be great if there's something that could be done about it, maybe there is a way and I just didn't see it yet?

Do you mean the click at startup or the one when you play the first song?
If it is the second one, how long did you wait between "Rockbox ready" and playing a song?

To get to WPS there is no quick way. If you use my theme arc-en-ciel or naranjada, you can click on album art to go back to wps from file menu (if in settings, you have to press it twice).

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:49 AM Post #1,030 of 2,020
  Thanks a lot mate.
Yeah, forgot to say that I use a Leckerton UHA-6S MkII (obviously, with the ipod, it can only function as an amp.....)

...where abouts in Oz are you if I may ask?

When you amp DX50 it's a great unit, or next best thing, use one of the custom Sound Explosion firmware (then the headphone out is ok)

Definitely worth your time switching over from iPod.

Sydney Australia - right near the beach front, a stones throw from Sydney harbour.  

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:51 AM Post #1,031 of 2,020
  Edit: In the meantime, I threw together a collection of about a dozen themes that all work on the DX50. Maybe someone can get some use out of these besides me. Just unzip it, and throw all 5 subfolders (backdrops, fonts, icons, themes, and wps) into the rockbox folder on your DX50. Some of them seem to need rebooting after selecting them in the theme browser to get them working correctly. But they all work. These are just ones that caught my eye - you'll see that I like album art. 
https://www.dropbox.com/s/cfiivu8qei8zhxx/SDiBassoDX50themecollection.zip - if you don't like them just delete the 5 folders, and you'll be back to the original set of themes. 

Nice work  I could include that in the future build of Rockbox for DX90.

Jul 25, 2014 at 8:55 AM Post #1,032 of 2,020
Definitely worth your time switching over from iPod.

...more like...my money
biggrin.gif

thanks anyway for the advice.
.....used to live in Kirribilly & catch the ferry to the city...and enjoy free spectacular new year's eve fireworks, wonderful warm summertime nights, catching the ferry at night
back and forth
lovely....
tongue_smile.gif

I'm not sure you can do that anymore these days....anyway...what are you doing up at this hour of the night????
bigsmile_face.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:02 AM Post #1,034 of 2,020
  ...more like...my money
biggrin.gif

thanks anyway for the advice.
.....used to live in Kirribilly & catch the ferry to the city...and enjoy free spectacular new year's eve fireworks, wonderful warm summertime nights, catching the ferry at night
back and forth
lovely....
tongue_smile.gif

I'm not sure you can do that anymore these days....anyway...what are you doing up at this hour of the night????
bigsmile_face.gif

Haha! It's only 11:00pm. Yes the fireworks. Really freaks the dogs out......  
wink_face.gif

Jul 25, 2014 at 9:06 AM Post #1,035 of 2,020

Better don't otherwise they dissapear if you add one more theme to your internal drive.

I highly recomment to everyone to put the themes to the internal drive, not to the rockbox-zip which will be copied to /system

I think the reason for that is because the /system partition runs out of space. I first notice it when I compile the Rockbox source from the rockbox git server and did a "make fullzip" which will include additional files like fonts.

In my build I increased the size of the /system partition.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back